Whole turkeys

SidJames

Central Food Hall has a freezer full of nice, fat Butterball turkeys, but at the super-inflated prices we've seen since the turkey import ban was imposed. Expect to pay ~5000 Baht for a 5kg-6kg bird, or close on 1000 Baht/kg.

Makro has lots of the scrawny (and not very tasty) Thai turkeys, but even these things are being sold at 350 Baht/kg, which is daylight robbery for a third-class Thai product.

Probably the best deal is at Siamburi's, where they're advertising ready-cooked imported turkey for (I think) 350  Baht/kg. That's still around three times the price you'd pay for a frozen bird back in the UK, and I'm sure they're even cheaper in the US, but it's probably the cheapest quality turkey in Pattaya. And, of course, it's perfect for people who don't have an oven.

• Like 1

Up in Udon, I have only seen the pre-cooked Butterballs in the freezers at Villa for around 3800 baht.

AFAIK, the importation of uncooked whole turkeys and even the crowns from the US is still verboten by the Thai FDA. I doubt it extends to non-US sourced birds but it doesn't appear that any importers have seen that as a lucrative niche market yet.