Anyone taken out insurance from the Thai Govt list yet?

mikey88

If you have taken out insurance from the recent list of Thai health insurers for the minimum 400,000 amount.....I’d be very appreciative to hear your opinions and the price you paid....

Thanks in advance ...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wonder what these 14 companies did to get on the milk list?

Does this mean all foreign insurance is meaningless? Is this simply an army money grab scheme?

1: They handed over large brown envelopes.

2: Yes.

3: Yes.

28 minutes ago, mike787 said:

HELL NO!  Rather face jesus when he calls for me or give my baht to charity or bar girls.  Ridiculous.  Buy Cigna, one of the best, accepted globally and by Bumrungrad.  Good luck.

The only insurance accepted by Immigration must come from that list.

They will issue a document which has to be presented with the extension renewal etc.

Only companies on that list are acceptable to Immigration.

That’s what I’ve been told at any rate.

5 hours ago, mikey88 said:

They will issue a document which has to be presented with the extension renewal etc.

That is so corrupt and unfortunate for you & us expats.  We are totally screwed if we need insurance to stay.  Other option as far as I know is leave, or contact Ubonjoe (the Oracle of knowledge) perhaps he can suggest otherwise.  He is an excellent resource that we are lucky to have.  

To actually answer your question;  I have had insurance with the listed ThaiLife company https://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/product_wealthy_eng.php for about 5 years. Obviously not because of the new requirements. That said; I have never used it, but know of others who have, and had no problems with company or service.  I cannot recall specifics.  [email protected] is my agent and speaks english and will reply to emails.  If any information is deleted by mods, PM me.

1 minute ago, silverhawk_usa said:

To actually answer your question;  I have had insurance with the listed ThaiLife company https://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/product_wealthy_eng.php for about 5 years. Obviously not because of the new requirements. That said; I have never used it, but know of others who have, and had no problems with company or service.  I cannot recall specifics.  [email protected] is my agent and speaks english and will reply to emails.  If any information is deleted by mods, PM me.

That’s great Silverhawk....it’s a big help ...thanks for the constructive comment...appreciate it.

If you checked the list of foreigners that don't pay their hospital bills the biggest group by far would tourists, short and medium term. Most of these don't have insurance or the funds to pay medical bills especially from accidents.

I think most expats/long stay people do pay their medical bills or do have insurance.

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I hear the coverage is very over priced for what you get. Wonder what these 14 companies did to get on the milk list?

Does this mean all foreign insurance is meaningless? Is this simply an army money grab scheme?

The backers and owners of the health insurance companies are related to the government officials that instigated the policy, not rocket science!

3 minutes ago, boonchu said:

If you checked the list of foreigners that don't pay their hospital bills the biggest group by far would tourists, short and medium term. Most of these don't have insurance or the funds to pay medical bills especially from accidents.

I think most expats/long stay people do pay their medical bills or do have insurance.

oh ok, do you have the evidence for that claim?

17 hours ago, mikey88 said:

So for visa which i get from my own country how to arrange the Thai company insurance policy first?

Im not sure what the Thai consulate in my country ask for but says nothing on website about any insurance for non-OA for retirement

So if consulate want to see insurance first, i must buy at home?

and then throw it away and buy Thai insurance when enter Thailand?

This is crazy.

Surely it cannot possibly be like this?

3 minutes ago, Gav Bic said:

Purchased Pacific Cross Premium package for THB 45 000 p.a with THB 300 000 deductible. Cover is for THB 10 million p.a Am 62 years old.

I was with Pacific Cross until the premiums got out of control. Wait til you turn 65 and then watch the premiums sky rocket.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

oh ok, do you have the evidence for that claim?

The government has already shot its self in the foot saying that Tourists are the biggest culprit for not paying their bills. This was from a recent news item on this web site.

25 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Sorry, to maybe bring some bad news here.

Even if you already have a health-insurance policy with one of the 14 companies on the list, that does not guarantee that your policy meets the criteria set by IO and has been approved.  You need to have the Certificate stating that your policy meets the IO requirements.  Only for approved policy-schemes will the thai insurance company issue such Certificate, and without Certificate your application for extension of stay based on a Non Imm OA retirement will NOT be approved. 

19 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

So for visa which i get from my own country how to arrange the Thai company insurance policy first?

Im not sure what the Thai consulate in my country ask for but says nothing on website about any insurance for non-OA for retirement

This is crazy.

It is not like this.

You can buy insurance from your home country (hopefully it covers you globally). When you extend your non-OA the following year, then, and only then, do you need to have procured Thai health insurance.

If you decide to not extend your stay, then leave for another country and keep your home country's insurance plan.

I'm guessing that there has to be an exception for foreigners who are here long-term (either alone or with their families) who work for foreign governments or international companies.  They all would have medical insurance from their home country, I'm sure.  I find it hard to believe that they would be required to purchase additional--and most likely inferior--insurance to comply with Immigration regulations. 

24 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

This is crazy.

When applying for a Non Imm OA (long stay) Visa in your home-country you need to show that you have thai-approved health insurance.  This can be done by showing the Certificate issued by a thai insurance-company or by a foreign insurance-company.  However, it is very difficult and almost impossible to get a foreign insurance-company sign a Certificate that refers to thai legislation. 

Anyway, if you have such a Certificate by a foreign insurance-company, it is only good for the period till you have to apply for an extension of stay of your OA Visa, because thai IO ONLY accepts thai health-insurance.

The result of the above is of course that due to this requirement for expensive and basically worthless thai-approved health-insurance, there will be very little applications for an OA Visa.  And the present OA - retirement Visa holders are now either converting to an OA extension based on marriage, or switch to a Non Imm O Visa, as that does not require the ridiculous thai-approved health-insurance.

13 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

I'm guessing that there has to be an exception for foreigners who are here long-term (either alone or with their families) who work for foreign governments or international companies.  They all would have medical insurance from their home country, I'm sure.  I find it hard to believe that they would be required to purchase additional--and most likely inferior--insurance to comply with Immigration regulations. 

It's outrageous and crazy, but even if you have a far more superior foreign health-insurance policy than the ridiculously low-coverage and expensive thai-approved healht-insurance policy schemes, it is NOT accepted by IO.  Also if you are covered by the thai social-security system it is NOT accepted.  The stance is 'Certificate or Bust'. 

47 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

The government has already shot its self in the foot saying that Tourists are the biggest culprit for not paying their bills. This was from a recent news item on this web site.

they don't care tourists are not around long enough to fleece for it

21 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

It is not like this.

You can buy insurance from your home country (hopefully it covers you globally). When you extend your non-OA the following year, then, and only then, do you need to have procured Thai health insurance.

If you decide to not extend your stay, then leave for another country and keep your home country's insurance plan.

Almost correct.

In order to have your application for a Non Imm OA (long-stay) Visa at the thai embassy/consulate in your home-country approved, you need to show that your health-insurance meets the thai IO requirements.  For that purpose a Certificate has been created and when you get your insurance-company to sign it, stating that your policy meets the thai requirements, that will be accepted.

1 hour ago, ndreamer said:

There is a form to download to get your policy approved.  Who knows if it works.  

Pay up to one the Thai approved companies , to satisfy immigration reqs . 

What happens  if/when a farlang makes a claim,  on this thai insurance policy ??. 

1 hour ago, ndreamer said:

There is a form to download to get your policy approved.  Who knows if it works.  

Easy peasy... A short one paged certificate that must be signed by two directors of your insurance company... Good luck getting that done each year... :coffee1:

https://longstay.tgia.org/document/overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Can't believe anything they say assuming they did say that. Actual evidence would be good to see otherwise it's dodgy facts again

19 hours ago, mikey88 said:

Not quite true. Anyone can purchase a health insurance in Thailand that is not on the list or who already has health insurance, can contact their insurance  company to see if that policy is acceptable to immigration. If so, they will issue a certificate of compliance to add to your other extension application paperwork.

Archived