Pattaya: No wonder tourists aren't coming - pack of ten attack "just arrived" Irishman

webfact

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

In all of the years I have been in Thailand, I have never once been involved in an incident involving violence by Thais. When I lived on Samui I had some close calls with drunk Brits and Aussies in bars. But never Thais. I think as long as one is respectful, does not do anything stupid, and if an incident does happen, if you have a good and respectful attitude toward a Thai, it is unlikely you are going to be harmed. 

Of course there are always going to be exceptions. And some of the bouncers in Pattaya, and Patpong are out of control.

1. But, you stay clear of them, and you do not give them the opportunity.

2. Never go into one of the upstairs bars on Patpong. Better yet, never go to Patpong.

3. Do not go into Karaoke places, unless you are with a Thai friend. Not worth the risk of getting ripped off. Avoid any sort of confrontation with a bouncer. They love to engage. Do not give them the opportunity.

4. Do not confront a Thai man. It is not worth it. You will never win. If you kick his butt, his buddies or some bystanders may get involved, or he and his friends will kick your butt. Lose, lose, regardless.

5. Keep your distance from drunks and do not give ladyboys an opportunity to rob you.

As long as you follow some real basic sense rules, Thailand is as safe as anyplace in the world. 

Ah "The its never happened to you" syndrome so it must be the tourist. What's with this nonsense about don't do this, don't do that? The bottom line is you do not go on holiday to be beaten half to death by 10 local men (attempted murder in the UK). It is pathetic trying to shift the blame on the tourist. So your advice is come to Thailand get a limo so you can avoid taxi mafia, go straight to your hotel room and dead bolt your door turn on TV, live off room service until your limo comes and picks you up to take you to the airport. I personally over the years have witnessed lots of bad stuff, I have also had a gun pulled on me from behind, I've seen shootings in the street, Thai men beating the hell out of their women in the street (kow tow and bkk). Thailand is very dangerous and never forget it is 3rd world. Violence will increase more and more as western tourist decrease. 

8 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Ah "The its never happened to you" syndrome so it must be the tourist. What's with this nonsense about don't do this, don't do that? The bottom line is you do not go on holiday to be beaten half to death by 10 local men (attempted murder in the UK). It is pathetic trying to shift the blame on the tourist. So your advice is come to Thailand get a limo so you can avoid taxi mafia, go straight to your hotel room and dead bolt your door turn on TV, live off room service until your limo comes and picks you up to take you to the airport. I personally over the years have witnessed lots of bad stuff, I have also had a gun pulled on me from behind, I've seen shootings in the street, Thai men beating the hell out of their women in the street (kow tow and bkk). Thailand is very dangerous and never forget it is 3rd world. Violence will increase more and more as western tourist decrease. 

Its really nothing to do with where people come from , whether they be thai or felang .

If you behave like the Irish guy in any bar in the World or act the way he did by hitting a woman in a bar, the outcome is likely to be the same and in most cases , worse . 

Just because you are a White guy in Thailand, that doesnt mean that you can behave how you like with no comeuppance .

Thailand is not dangerous at all , unless you mix with dodgy bar owners or frequent seedy bars owned by criminal elements 

5 hours ago, lapamita said:

30yrs in pattaya , never happend ,even i am a frequent visitor to the bars. ( but with human sense)

I have wealthy friends that don't even look at the bill.  They just ask the total, and pay.  That doesn't mean they have never been cheated / scammed, but I guess in their eye, they haven't, because there has never been a discrepancy. 

Would you call this "human sense?" 

so the blooded topless tourist doesn't look the best even some think he may have deserved it lol.

Am here 11 years 6 years ago outside happy ago go was challenged 4 10 baht 8 thai males on 2 accused us of using toilet in bar we had been customers 2 drinks each but staff inside fingered us incorrectly b4 we got the <deleted> kicked out of we they realized there mistake no apology just backed away.

Powers that b have allowed similar establishments, restaurants and bars beat and kill tourists for disputing bar bills that are more likely to be theft by someone employed there and if challenged,  eagerly delivered with a beating.

This rough justice is recognized as the norn and the impact on tourist eventually hurts but thais just don't care.

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Here the other side of the story:

https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/injured-irish-tourist-refuses-to-pay-starts-fight-ends-up-on-footpath-in-pattaya

This sucks and should not happen but I have to say, if you conduct yourself with some common courtesy, common sense, and respect this doesn't happen. Arguments over the bill can be avoided by simply paying attention to the bill, which they put in paper slips right in front of you. If you do get into disagreement with Thia men, don't be rude and DON'T WALK AWAY. Stay until the matter is settled one way or the other. Making a $hity comment and turning your back to walk away is really bad idea. 

1 hour ago, sameasb4 said:

Am here 11 years 6 years ago outside happy ago go was challenged 4 10 baht 8 thai males on 2 accused us of using toilet in bar we had been customers 2 drinks each but staff inside fingered us incorrectly b4 we got the <deleted> kicked out of we they realized there mistake no apology just backed away.

Sounds like you never did make a full recovery .

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its really nothing to do with where people come from , whether they be thai or felang .

If you behave like the Irish guy in any bar in the World or act the way he did by hitting a woman in a bar, the outcome is likely to be the same and in most cases , worse . 

Just because you are a White guy in Thailand, that doesnt mean that you can behave how you like with no comeuppance .

Thailand is not dangerous at all , unless you mix with dodgy bar owners or frequent seedy bars owned by criminal elements 

Where and who said he hit a woman? think that excludes most bars in pattaya not like any bars in the world with the odd exception

the regular beatings are usually bill disputes when caught overcharging ok?

17 minutes ago, sameasb4 said:

Where and who said he hit a woman? think that excludes most bars in pattaya not like any bars in the world with the odd exception

the regular beatings are usually bill disputes when caught overcharging ok?

It was in the later reports , he didnt pay his bill and then attacked the mamasan

Many disputes arise from guys getting girls drinks and not realising the cost of those drinks 

On 12/9/2019 at 12:34 AM, Orac said:

There is an “interview” with the guy on here - apparently he accused them of having underage girls.

Fair play to the british lad that helped him . Not many would . The police looked about as uninterested as could be ! Also if anyone believes the word of the momasan then you are as stupid as could be ! This one is different right ? ????

On December 9, 2019 at 11:30 AM, marqus12 said:

Of course, if there was a will, these group attacks on tourists could

easily be ended. This is Asia, they know how to do it, but apparently

there is silent consent.

It's funny that these at tacks are quite rare ANYWHERE else in Asia, Cambodia, Laos Vietnam Myanmar Malaysia, even Thailand, udon Thani? Chang Mai? Hau hin, krabi, .samui. , and the same demographic involved, and pattaya.

14 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Several places on walking street are putting a 10% service charge on the bill.

Are you talking of GGBs or simply the over the sea restaurants? I personally have not seen a service charge in a bar yet, plenty tip scrounging. 

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

But sadly, if you are a Thai guy in Thailand, you can, providing the victim is foreign? 

10 hours ago, BenBen23 said:

This sucks and should not happen but I have to say, if you conduct yourself with some common courtesy, common sense, and respect this doesn't happen. Arguments over the bill can be avoided by simply paying attention to the bill, which they put in paper slips right in front of you. If you do get into disagreement with Thia men, don't be rude and DON'T WALK AWAY. Stay until the matter is settled one way or the other. Making a $hity comment and turning your back to walk away is really bad idea. 

My memory fails me but this place could well be one of the few GGB establishments that still uses the loose tabs rather than an accumulating POS one. I agree that one must keep an eye on that tab or cup in front of you, it is just tougher when the invoices are loose. 

People who say 'it never happens to them' are fortunate, little scams are common place, be-it a recapped beer, an extra tab, a LD you didn't agree to, short change or loads of coins hidden under notes, whatever. It's in their nature. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

But sadly, if you are a Thai guy in Thailand, you can, providing the victim is foreign? 

Other way round most of the time .

Like this story , Felang attacks Thais and Thais get blamed for retaliating .

So many times , Westerner causes trouble and Thais get the finger pointed at them 

Just now, sanemax said:

So many times , Westerner causes trouble and Thais get the finger pointed at them 

Even if this story is to believed, I doubt the Irish guy attacked the 10 security guys. Did you see any pics of bloodied Thais... because I didn't!

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Even if this story is to believed, I doubt the Irish guy attacked the 10 security guys. Did you see any pics of bloodied Thais... because I didn't!

No, The Irish guy attacked the female bar owner and the employees chased him out the bar

Google this "liveleak Irish tourist kicked out of bar beaten Thailand" and read the link.

It's full of new information which doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the Thai news reports.

I wonder why they (everyone in the country) censored it ????

Just now, jacko45k said:

You seem to be glossing over the fact they also administered a good beating. Or perhaps 'he fell'.....

Read the google result....it's not what you think it might be, everyone appears to be wrong on this and why it might have happened.

12 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Google this "liveleak Irish tourist kicked out of bar beaten Thailand" and read the link.

It's full of new information which doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the Thai news reports.

I wonder why they (everyone in the country) censored it ????

Yes I saw that information elsewhere but I don't understand how that impacts anything. Last time I was in that venue, from my perspective, it was the same dancers that had been there for years and, if anything, could be described as over-aged. 

Whichever story is true, it appears he behaved stupidly, and the Thai security, and maybe a few passers by, administered a beating.

Here's a couple of direct links to Irish newspapers of varying quality which shed a lot more light on the situation, probably explains why the bar is closed and they've all done a runner and why the police are taking it very seriously :

1 - https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2019/12/09/irish-man-bert-o-grady-attacked-pattaya-police-dispute-go-go-bar-city-investigation/

2 - https://www.thesun.ie/news/4866348/holidaymaker-left-in-pool-of-own-blood-after-complaining-about-underage-women-at-strip-bar-in-thai-sin-city/

Has the bar now repoened?

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Whichever story is true, it appears he behaved stupidly, and the Thai security, and maybe a few passers by, administered a beating.

"He said that he attempted to video the situation with his smartphone which led to the escalation of the matter."

Sounds like they beat the <deleted> out of him because he was filming the evidence.

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

"He said that he attempted to video the situation with his smartphone which led to the escalation of the matter."

And that is an extremely stupid thing to try and do inside a GGB, very likely to cause you a big problem. Please do not think I condone that reaction though, these security people are often out of control.

Coincidentally I recall being trapped in a Walking St GGB, with the same name some years ago... a police raid. Maybe you can guess what they were looking for!

Just now, sanemax said:

No, The Irish guy attacked the female bar owner and the employees chased him out the bar

No he attacked no one, they attacked him according to -l- leak-. Now how did you put it ..?...

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Ahh, Looks like you have a standard deflection up, one that blames the victim. While this bit of verbal sophistry might have flown a decade back, today people realize something else is going on, as beat down has followed beat down. BTW knowledge of what is going on is one TATs bigger problems; Why vacation in a country where this happens? Incidents like these have become common knowledge in the west, in tabloids, German and Scandinavian papers. It even gets airplay now, back in the US and Canada. How they are going to repair that damage I don't know. It will take many years.  

Now the Chinese were supposed to replace the Euro tourists, so moot point about fixing it. BUt if Chinese numbers falter (as they have since the boat sunk) you have a problem.

TAT we have a problem.

Archived