Australian man and former Nana nightclub owner acquitted of human trafficking

snoop1130

Australian man and former Nana nightclub owner acquitted of human trafficking

image.png

A Sudanese-Australian man who used to manage a nightclub in the Nana area of Bangkok has been acquitted of human trafficking and procuring women for prostitution

Michael Pearl, 47, and four other defendants - three foreigners and two Thais - have now been acquitted of all charges.

Last year, the defendants were each sentenced to between 16 and 19 years in jail for allegedly forcing four Moroccan women into prostitution between 2016 and 2017.

During the trial, the court was told how Pearl, who owned the Dream Disco located on the fourth floor of the Zenith Hotel in Soi Nana, promised the victims well paid jobs as waitresses but instead they had they had their passports taken and were forced to work as prostitutes.

Pearl was arrested in August 2017 at Suvarnabhumi Airport as he tried to board a flight to  flee the country.

At an appeal hearing held at Bangkok Criminal Court on Wednesday, the defendants had their convictions quashed after the court doubted testimony from one of the victims.

The court said that it did not find any evidence to suggest that the victim’s passport had been seized as originally claimed and that the victims had been free to leave their place of work, contrary to earlier claims. One of the victims had been able to visit Phuket during the time they claimed to be held under duress. 

The court also said that none of the victims had sought protection from police.

With this evidence in mind, the court gave the benefit of the doubt of the defendants

A representative from the Moroccan Embassy observed the court hearing.

Source: https://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/746325

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-11

Michael Pearl, 47, and four other defendants - three foreigners and two Thais - have now been acquitted of all charges.

Last year, the defendants were each sentenced to between 16 and 19 years in jail for allegedly forcing four Moroccan women into prostitution between 2016 and 2017.

From 16 and 19 years to zero. What has the first court done? I guess the evidences were the same. 

8 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

From 16 and 19 years to zero. What has the first court done? I guess the evidences were the same. 

Only the envelopes were different

9 hours ago, donnacha said:

This sort of thing seems strangely out of character for an Australian.

26 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

I would like to think that, but have a look at how our government is treating the vulnerable.

He's Sudanese, he may have an Aussie passport.

4 minutes ago, Outbackoz said:

Perhaps it may be a matter for Peter DUTTON to consider the good fame and character of the individual concerned pursuant to the Australian Citizenship Act?

You can only lose your citizenship for crimes committed, but unknown, before the grant. Once you become a citizen your criminality is as an Australian.

Of course Dutton has been making up his own rules for Isis terrorists.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Then he would have an Aussie passport wouldn't he?

There are many sudanese war refugees that have been settled in Australia, while the majority of them are well behaving citizens, the same can't be said of several sudanese criminal youth gangs who are busily engaged in all sorts of crimes and at time are boasting that just because they're of a black skin appearance, the police and the judicial system are handling them with kid gloves not to be seen as racist...

10 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

The appeal court took notice of the evidence!

When I saw the headline, Nana nightclub, I thought it was going to be about EQ. Anyone know what happened to that place? It was great. Everyone in there always friendly and in a good mood. Then I last showed up about two years ago, and it was shut. When I asked they just said "police shut down".

40 minutes ago, Outbackoz said:

Perhaps it may be a matter for Peter DUTTON to consider the good fame and character of the individual concerned pursuant to the Australian Citizenship Act?

You can’t strip an Australian citizen of their citizenship based on bad character. You can strip an permanent resident or any other visa holder of their status based on character grounds however. 

Plus he hasn’t been found guilty of anything anyway. 

Still, good try at trying to sound intelligent. 

Archived