Scotland must be given new independence vote - Sturgeon

webfact

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Nothing wrong with that, and England can be the 51st state, win,win, all round.

I think you maybe a little confused, but then I expect that.

Great news about the UK and Japan getting things together eh....:clap2:

20 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You answered your own question: As a vassal state in the UKSSR, you have to beg someone to “allow” you a referendum. If Scotland was a sovereign state, it could decide these matters on their own. That’s how being an EU member is different from being an UKSSR vassal. 

You could say that about any country.  If England wanted out it would need permission from Westminster (that is how a country works).  If Lombardy wanted out of Italy it would need to go through Rome. Etc etc etc.

The difference is that the UK is one of the very few countries willing to allow democracy to follow its course and let the people decide.  Therefore calling it the UKSSR is frankly absurd and makes you look like a rabid English hater.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

EU member states don’t need ask for permission to leave (or even just permission to hold a referendum). 

It doesn’t. If it did, it would let the Scots decide their own fate. But it doesn’t. 

I’m just using the Brexiteer rhetoric and turn it against them. I don’t hate England. 

Scotland is part of the country called the UK.  It has devolved powers but cannot unilaterally vote to leave under current arrangements.  It had a chance to leave this arrangement but declined.  That is the way it is right now....a region of a country, just as England, Wales and NI are.  And any region in any part of any country in the world would have to go a similar process to Scotland if they wanted independence so please don't give me all this oppresion nonsense.  Scotland could have voted out and more importantly they had the chance.

Of course the EU and the UK are different.  One is a country and one is a bloc of countries.  I am not arguing against that.  I just don't see being part of the EU as independence.  Perhaps it would mean more independence than part of the UK, but still not true independence.

One thing you should consider about the EU is that had the UK government refused to grant a referendum (as Spain did with Catalonia) then the EU would have backed it to the hilt (as it did when Spain refused to grant Catalania a referendum).  Seems the EU isnt as much of a believer in democracy as the UK...hmmmm who would have guessed?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

But that is a very distant second in terms of importance. There are more countries with land borders than not - there is no reason that Scotland and England cannot make it work. 

How come it's second in terms of importance, because you say so? It cannot possibly work, you'll have two goverments pulling in opposite directions and never the twain shall meet.

I saw a Survation poll recently but am unable to locate it now stating that in terms of priorities that separation is about 7th on the list, but in your leaders eyes it is number 1 priority, she was put on this earth to separate the Scots from the English. 

12 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

How come the people that were so into UK leaving EU are the ones so against Scotland having independents? 

And the people that wanted to stay in the EU are the ones that want Scotland to have independents???

Because the UK had a democratic (damn, the D word again) vote in 2016 and decided to leave the EU, likewise the Scots had a democratic vote in 2014 to remain within the United Kingdom, the problems start to arise when democratic votes are ignored by the losing side.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vogie said:
21 hours ago, stevenl said:

So England determines what happens to Scotland? You're being ridiculous.

So EU should determine the faith of UK leaving or not? You're being hypocritical.

Sorry I just can't compete with posters who don't think that breaking up the UK is nothing to do with the rest of the UK.

You have made a post that is senseless and you're calling me ridiculous. Goodbye!

In your quote you have (deliberately?) removed the important part of the post which shows his point is not about breaking up the UK!

Namely

21 hours ago, stevenl said:

Btw, the remark you're answering to was a reply to a post that mentioned Scottish internal affairs, so 'nothing to do with England'.

This is correct. Powers devolved to the Scottish Parliament deal with Scottish internal affairs and thus are nothing to do with England.

But this was also the case long before devolution; possibly all the way back to the Acts of Union!

For the basics I suggest that you read up on the West Lothian question.

The "West Lothian question" itself was first posed in 1977 during a British House of Commons debate about Scottish and Welsh devolution proposals. In the 14 November sitting, Tam Dalyell, the Labour MP for the Scottish constituency of West Lothian, asked,

For how long will English constituencies and English Honourable members tolerate ... at least 119 Honourable Members from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland exercising an important, and probably often decisive, effect on English politics while they themselves have no say in the same matters in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, teatree said:

Scotland is part of the country called the UK.

The United Kingdom comprises of four countries. Scotland is one of it. 

It has devolved powers but cannot unilaterally vote to leave under current arrangements.  It had a chance to leave this arrangement but declined.  That is the way it is right now....

Exactly. So you agree to what I said: A member country of the UK is not sovereign. Otherwise it could unilaterally decide to leave. 

I just don't see being part of the EU as independence.  Perhaps it would mean more independence than part of the UK, but still not true independence.

The big difference is that EU member states can sovereignly decide on their own whether they are ok with trading a bit of independence for the benefits of the membership. Same as I as an individual can decide to hand over a bit of my personal independence to my employer in return for a paycheck, but no one can force me to stay in that relationship. That’s a big difference to being a member of the UK.  

One thing you should consider about the EU is that had the UK government refused to grant a referendum (as Spain did with Catalonia) then the EU would have backed it to the hilt (as it did when Spain refused to grant Catalania a referendum).  Seems the EU isnt as much of a believer in democracy as the UK...hmmmm who would have guessed?

I don’t know what the EU would have done. I don’t have a white crystal ball. What would you expect the EU to do that you consider “democracy”?

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

Because the UK had a democratic (damn, the D word again) vote in 2016 and decided to leave the EU, likewise the Scots had a democratic vote in 2014 to remain within the United Kingdom, the problems start to arise when democratic votes are ignored by the losing side.

not ignored

uk is leaving xmas time

scotland is still there

5 hours ago, vogie said:

Of course should you get your separation from England and then ask to join the EU, the EU would stipulate a hard border between us. So don't trivialise the separation, it has a lot to do with the rest of the UK and England.

But the hard border between one part of the UK, Great Britain, and another part, Northern Ireland, conceded in the Brexit negotiations by Cummings and Johnson is ok with you?

Consistency is not one of your strongpoints!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

No, its about MP's. No good dismissing the fact that Scots controlled the UK for many years..

Labour controlled the UK for 13 years under Blair and Brown. But could only do so with the backing of English and Welsh MPs!

5 hours ago, transam said:

The SNP has one objective, removing itself from the Union, that's it. 

Wow! Who'd have thought it! Maybe that's why they call themselves the Scottish Nationalist Party!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

Labour controlled the UK for 13 years under Blair and Brown. But could only do so with the backing of English and Welsh MPs!

Wow! Who'd have thought it! Maybe that's why they call themselves the Scottish Nationalist Party!

Oh, hello..........????

16 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

not ignored

uk is leaving xmas time

scotland is still there

Of course you are correct melvin, four years on and the remainers are still crying in their soup, as for the Scots Nats, substitute soup for porridge.????

7 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The United Kingdom comprises of four countries. Scotland is one of it. 

Exactly. So you agree to what I said: A member country of the UK is not a sovereign state. Otherwise it could unilaterally decide to leave. 

The big difference is that EU member states can sovereignly decide on their own whether they are ok with trading a bit of independence for the benefits of the membership. Same as I as an individual can decide to hand over a bit of my personal independence to my employer in return for a paycheck, but no one can force me to stay in that relationship. That’s a big difference to being a member of the UK.  

I don’t know what the EU would have done. I don’t have a white crystal ball. What would you expect the EU to do that you consider “democracy”?

I think you need to distinguish between two different definitions of what country means.

The UK is a country.  Technically speaking.  It has a capital (London) and its goverenment is elected by the constituants of whole of the UK and represented at Westminster.  THIS IS THE SOVEREIGN STATE.  

England, NI, Scotland and Wales are also countries individually but not in the same sense.  It is more of a culural and ethnic sense of the word.  Individually these countries may have some devolution but they are still underneath the UK. So no, individually they are not sovereign states.  The sovereign state is the UK.

Sayimg that Sturgeon should have unilateral rights to declare independence is like saying  the Lomdon Assembley should have the same rights to declare an independent London city state.  No, they are both part of the UK governmemt at Westminster (you know the UK as a country in the 1st definition above, the one connected with law) and must 1st seek approval from the UK parliamemt.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Your entire argument just fell apart.

Scotland is not a region. It is a country. You giving examples of regions in Spain and Italy are simply not comparable.  

Catalonia has its own language.

The Basque region has its iwn language and terrorists willing to kill to get independence.  Do your homework son.

And tecnically speaking the UK is the country.  In legal terms the UK is the sovereign state based in London.  

Edited by teatree
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, teatree said:

Catalonia has its pwn language.

And tecnically speaking the UK is the country.  In legal terms the UK is the sovereign state based in London.  

Scotland has its own legal system. Yet another clue that it is a country not a region.

Regional language differences is a completely asinine point. If countries were defined by language what would happen to Switzerland? Or Austria? Or Belgium? Or any one of about 30 countries worldwide which encompass different languages?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, teatree said:

I think you need to distinguish between two different definitions of what country means.

The UK is a country.  Technically speaking.  It has a capital (London) and its goverenment is elected by the constituants of whole of the UK and represented at Westminster.  THIS IS THE SOVEREIGN STATE.  

England, NI, Scotland and Wales are also countries individually but not in the same sense.  It is more of a culural and ethnic sense of the word.  Individually these countries may have some devolution but they are still underneath the UK. So no, individually they are not sovereign states.  The sovereign state is the UK.

Sayimg that Sturgeon should have unilateral rights to declare independence is like saying  the Lomdon Assembley should have the same rights to declare an independent London city state.  No, they are both part of the UK governmemt at Westminster (you know the UK as a country in the 1st definition above, the one connected with law) and must 1st seek approval from the UK parliamemt.

Technically speaking, that is a load of nonsense. I suggest you read up a bit more about sovereignty within the different countries of the UK, specifically in relation to the Claim of Right 1989.

"On 4 July 2018, the House of Commons officially endorsed the principles of the Claim of Right, agreeing that the people of Scotland are sovereign"

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 12:35 PM, Somtamnication said:

I will be the first fat b@st@rd to manually increase, brick by brick,  the height of Hadrian's Wall, its entire length, if need be! God Save the Queen!

Jimmy Krankie ........Hope you get what you wish for.......Did the Scottish people say no to this already?

By a majority vote......Leave it alone.....

FREEDOM...........