Scotland must be given new independence vote - Sturgeon

webfact

16 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Well we share a love of Munros, I used to be an outward bound instructor and did one 2/3 times a week. I don't make an issue of Scottishness, but my mum, a McLeod, was 100%, and my dad 25%, by blood so to speak. I have lived here for nearly 60 years. I consider that sadly, the world they and I grew up in, was a simpler and more gentle world, despite being having old fashioned social values, which are (Mainly rightly) unacceptable now. 

Differences notwithstanding, jaw, jaw, beats war, war, any day!

Nigel, did you know John Hinde from Outward Bound Locheil? In 1990 he took a bunch of rowdy, unfit apprentices, myself included, into the wilds of Lochaber and scared the bejeesus out of us, but everyone to a lad came away feeling 10ft tall after that 2 week course. He was a remarkable and inspiring man. 

51 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Nigel, did you know John Hinde from Outward Bound Locheil? In 1990 he took a bunch of rowdy, unfit apprentices, myself included, into the wilds of Lochaber and scared the bejeesus out of us, but everyone to a lad came away feeling 10ft tall after that 2 week course. He was a remarkable and inspiring man. 

I enjoyed this place while training crows around the same time, RR.

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The place I worked was Camusrory at the head of Loch Nevis, in Knoydart, but that was 1975! "Moby MacLean" had a place on the other side of the Loch for a few years. Yes we knew of the Locheil OB school, and our boss (Tony Montgomery) was friends with the boss there, but who that was I wouldn't know. Character building stuff for sure, but seasonal, and I moved on to different work in mid Argyll that winter.

A bit off topic I guess, but harmlessly so. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Looks like another Westminster placeman is coming to replace Carcrash, although I am not convinced his departure is of his own choosing.

Before the ink had even dried on his resignation speech, Douglas Ross had issued a statement confirming his interest in running for leader - already adorned with a 'Douglas Ross for Leader' logo. Then, later, he issued another statement in which he confirmed his intention to run, adding that as he was currently a serving MP, he had requested Ruth Davidson to lead FMQs for him until he could take over.

Bizarre - an unremarkable lickspittle careerist who's only notable point since he became an MP was to state that, were he suddenly PM, his first course of action would be to prosecute travelers (he didn't say what for - maybe simply for being travelers), yet he thinks that, from his position of disappointing mediocrity at the back of the hall, he can already issue directives to the Tories in Scotland as to how they must run their affairs! I guess it is clear that the 'Scottish' can be dropped from the name north of the border - clearly Westminster has taken full charge. 

I had never heard of either of them but the latter sounds just like Swinson ????

In the interest of balance, I thought I might point out that there is a major schism emerging within the SNP at this very moment.

Joanna Cherry, held by many to be a very capable and likeable MP, had previously indicated her intention to run for Ruth Davidson's seat in the Scottish Parliamentary elections next spring. Only this week, however, the NEC of the SNP has thwarted that bid by creating a new rule whereby a sitting MP is now forced to resign from their Westminster constituency before they an put themselves forward for Holyrood (she had stated that she would resign from Westminster if she was elected an MSP).

At the same time, James Dorman, the MSP for Glasgow Cathcart, who had previously announced that he was retiring but later changed his mind and proposed that he would stand for re-election, was ruled out when the NEC decided that Glasgow must have an all-female list, stating that his prior resignation was not rescinded in time.

The ire this is creating amongst the rank and file is significant, with many people cancelling their membership. One might wonder why the party is going through these paroxysms of self mutilation when the goal of independence has never seemed so close to being achieved, however from what I can gather, there is a major power struggle going on inside the party, with the young reactionaries forcing out the old guard.

Much of this is probably beyond the interest of the average man on the street, but the real impact will be seen with the emergence of new independence parties - the much touted Wings party (backed by the independence blog Wings over Scotland), for example, has been linked to Salmond potentially making a return to political life. 

One thing is certain to me though - if independence is achieved, one of the first fall-outs from it will be the dissolution of the SNP, or a mass defection of much of its membership. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

In the interest of balance, I thought I might point out that there is a major schism emerging within the SNP at this very moment.

Joanna Cherry, held by many to be a very capable and likeable MP, had previously indicated her intention to run for Ruth Davidson's seat in the Scottish Parliamentary elections next spring. Only this week, however, the NEC of the SNP has thwarted that bid by creating a new rule whereby a sitting MP is now forced to resign from their Westminster constituency before they an put themselves forward for Holyrood (she had stated that she would resign from Westminster if she was elected an MSP).

At the same time, James Dorman, the MSP for Glasgow Cathcart, who had previously announced that he was retiring but later changed his mind and proposed that he would stand for re-election, was ruled out when the NEC decided that Glasgow must have an all-female list, stating that his prior resignation was not rescinded in time.

The ire this is creating amongst the rank and file is significant, with many people cancelling their membership. One might wonder why the party is going through these paroxysms of self mutilation when the goal of independence has never seemed so close to being achieved, however from what I can gather, there is a major power struggle going on inside the party, with the young reactionaries forcing out the old guard.

Much of this is probably beyond the interest of the average man on the street, but the real impact will be seen with the emergence of new independence parties - the much touted Wings party (backed by the independence blog Wings over Scotland), for example, has been linked to Salmond potentially making a return to political life. 

One thing is certain to me though - if independence is achieved, one of the first fall-outs from it will be the dissolution of the SNP, or a mass defection of much of its membership. 

Cards on the table. I think NS has done a brilliant job, honest and direct with the public, and solid in Holyrood as Carcrash learned to his cost. She is THE recognised face of the SNP and the independence struggle. Why are we doing this you quite rightly say. 

Salmond - rightly or wrongly - is tainted goods, and would put a number of the waverers that we are winning from the middle ground right off. 

The idealism of the young is admirable, but they lack experience, and are easily mislead. I am saying this despite the fact that I am on record as supporting the young over the venal boomers who have exploited everyone, including the young to the hilt. However to see how Lansman utterly abused the votes of his young Momentum supporters for his own ends, shows how easily this can be done. 

It is sad that the moment we get a majority - albeit small - of the public on our side, the rats appear, to try and get a slice of the action and promote their myopic narrow viewed interpretation of what independence should be. I wish the Wings party, the ISP, the SSP, and god knows who else would away and boil their heids. If a second list vote won't pay off for the SNP, then I will vote Green who have been unwavering in their support for independence. If they force me to eat more carrots I'll just have to live with that!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Salmond - rightly or wrongly - is tainted goods, and would put a number of the waverers that we are winning from the middle ground right off. 

Salmond has been tainted from his early days but unfortunately time and selective memory changes perspective.

I can remember being home on leave sometime in the 70's and my father had come from a rally held by Salmond in the town hall. He was furious, called him a troublemaker, they didn't use the term "terrorist" in those days. Said it would be a sad day for Scotland if he ever got into politics.

Salmond seemed to get the message when the 79 Group got expelled, changed direction and the rest is history, but there is a saying about leopards and spots.

What some in Westminster and south of the border generally fail to recognise is that in 2014 a percentage of the Scots voted against Salmond, not independence.

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I suspect that she is more eager for independence that some of the others. I guess it is fair to say that, combined, we have more MSPs and MPs than we would require post independence. Possibly it is unfair of me to suggest it, but maybe some of the less stellar incumbents recognise that their cards would be marked if there was only one parliament. 

Probably something in that but as the old saying goes, the cream will rise to the top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Definitely there will need to be a much more balanced approach to the distribution of departments around the country and the devolving of power from the central belt to the regions. The whole NE area of Cromarty and Moray has so much potential to develop beyond farming and fishing, and with that comes the investment in infrastructure, etc etc. All very Keynesian but also very doable. Then there is the creation of European ferry connections, commercial shipping ports etc. What a time to be alive!

And tossing the EU caber......????