Scotland must be given new independence vote - Sturgeon

webfact

1 hour ago, teatree said:

<snip>

One thing you should consider about the EU is that had the UK government refused to grant a referendum (as Spain did with Catalonia) then the EU would have backed it to the hilt (as it did when Spain refused to grant Catalania a referendum).  Seems the EU isnt as much of a believer in democracy as the UK...hmmmm who would have guessed?

Such affairs are a matter for the sovereign governments of EU members.

The EU neither backed nor opposed the UK granting Scotland an independence referendum in 2014 because it was nothing to do with the EU.

The EU did not back the Spanish government 'to the hilt' in 2017 for the same reason; it was nothing to do with them!

Hmmm, a Brexiteer who knows virtually nothing about how EU membership effects a member's sovereignty, who would have guessed?

Edited by 7by7
typos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, laosnative said:

Did the Scottish people say no to this already?

It all depends upon how you define 'Scottish people'. But that is history - now new Scots and old Scots alike are in majority support of independence. 

indyref1.JPG.948435a3444a887012841b28a3442a1d.JPG

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Totally wrong. Scotland is a country with it's own parliament. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom

England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales are not themselves listed in the International Organization for Standardization(ISO) list of countries. However the ISO list of the subdivisions of the UK, compiled by British Standards and the UK's Office for National Statistics, uses "country" to describe England, Scotland, and Wales.[

(from the link you posted)

Hmmmm almost as if there is more than one definition of what country means.

18 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Such affairs are a matter for the sovereign governments of EU members.

The EU neither backed nor opposed the UK granting Scotland an independence referendum in 2014 because it was nothing to do with the EU.

The EU did not back the Spanish government 'to the hilt' in 2017 for the same reason; it was nothing to do with them!

Hmmm, a Brexiteer who knows virtually nothing about how EU membership effects a member's sovereignty, who would have guessed?

Did you hear a peep out of the EU over the terriblely violent crackdown of the Catalonia referendum?  Nope.  The EU is not interested allowimg regions within a state gaining independence.

6 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

If they did the referendum in England only, Scotland would be independent and the government would save a shed-load of money with Scotland gone.

PS. Why are all Scots leaders named after fish?

My how the long winter nights must just fly by in your house.

What wit. What satire. The cutting edge of modern comedy.

You are Stephen Fry and I claim my 5 pounds.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Your entire line of argument seems to be Scotland should not be given another referendum because Scotland is not a country right?

You then seem to be putting remarkable effort into redefining what a country is.

Do you honestly believe this is ever going to convince the people of Scotland and turn them away from seeking independence?

What?  You need to go and read previous replies to other posters.

Someone called the UK the UKSSR.  I pointed out that this was absurd as a democratic referendum was given amd the UK was not behaving like some Sovoet dictatorship.  

They then said Scotland was being oppressed because the big bad UK had to grant them permission and that the fact that they could not do it unilaterally was a sign of this oppression.

To this I replied that under the current arrangement Westminster held the key tk a referendum and so legally any vote had to be appproaved by them. 

These are all matter of fact.  Good luck on the Scots if they vote for true indepemdence and leave the UK AND dont join the EU.  But I think leaving to then join the EU would be a mistake.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

If you redifine it, sure, there will be multiple definitions. But the principle is really easy, and that principle says that Scotland is a country.

Even if it wouldn't be a country, comparing it to London is ludicrous.

But technically speaking it is similar.  They are both constituants of the UK with devolved powers.

Of course I understand Scotland as an ancient country...but that is a separate definotion as laid out in the link you yoirself sent.

14 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

My how the long winter nights must just fly by in your house.

What wit. What satire. The cutting edge of modern comedy.

You are Stephen Fry and I claim my 5 pounds.

Winter? What's that?

PS. Many thanks. You're more than welcome.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, teatree said:

What?  You need to go and read previous replies to other posters.

Someone called the UK the UKSSR.  I pointed out that this was absurd as a democratic referendum was given amd the UK was not behaving like some Sovoet dictatorship.  

They then said Scotland was being oppressed because the big bad UK had to grant them permission and that the fact that they could not do it unilaterally was a sign of this oppression.

To this I replied that under the current arrangement Westminster held the key tk a referendum and so legally any vote had to be appproaved by them. 

These are all matter of fact.  Good luck on the Scots if they vote for true indepemdence and leave the UK AND dont join the EU.  But I think leaving to then join the EU would be a mistake.

But there lies the nub. As a member of the EU you dont need the EU's permission to hold a referendum on leaving. Any country can do it any time it wants.

Leaving the UK requires the permission of Westminster.

You see the difference?

Ergo the EU is far more democratic than the authoritarian UK which treats countries like Scotland as a colony. 

This is why many of us want out of the UK and back into the EU.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, teatree said:

Did you hear a peep out of the EU over the terriblely violent crackdown of the Catalonia referendum?  Nope.  The EU is not interested allowimg regions within a state gaining independence.

The EU's response to and lack of condemnation of that violence was appalling.

But at the end of the day it was a matter of Spanish sovereignty and nothing to do with the EU. They could have condemned the violence, but that's all.

You claim that Scotland is a region of the UK; so if your absurd claim that "The EU is not interested allowing regions within a state gaining independence" then how come they 'allowed' the 2014 referendum to tale place?

I'll answer for you; they have no power to stop such referenda. They also have no power to stop the results of such referenda being implemented, nor, as Catalonia showed, the opposite.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, teatree said:

But technically speaking it is similar.  They are both constituants of the UK with devolved powers.

Of course I understand Scotland as an ancient country...but that is a separate definotion as laid out in the link you yoirself sent.

Technically speaking, no. Scotland is technically speaking a country.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

If they did the referendum in England only, Scotland would be independent and the government would save a shed-load of money with Scotland gone.

PS. Why are all Scots leaders named after fish?

Good point......I remember that Scottish tennis player who liked to win English tounaments, but hated the English.....

Andy Dory..........

Of interest to the allegedly oppressed and their sympathizers:

New release shows the value of the Union to the nations of the UK

The UK Government has today published the latest detailed breakdown of the funding it has provided to the devolved administrations over the last five financial years.

The Block Grant Transparency Report confirms that as of Main Estimates this year, the devolved administrations in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales had received £9.5 billion more new funding in 2020-21 through the Barnett formula since the previous report in December 2018. Of this, £6.0 billion was allocated at Main Estimates to tackle Coronavirus.

This means the devolved administrations have received an additional:

• £5.0 billion for the Scottish Government
  • £2.9 billion for the Welsh Government
  • £1.7 billion for the Northern Ireland Executive

In addition to this extra funding through the Barnett formula, the devolved administrations are also receiving over £950 million in 2020-21 to maintain direct payments to farmers....

Edited by evadgib

5 hours ago, vogie said:

Because the UK had a democratic (damn, the D word again) vote in 2016 and decided to leave the EU, likewise the Scots had a democratic vote in 2014 to remain within the United Kingdom, the problems start to arise when democratic votes are ignored by the losing side.

I am not sure that is the problem.

Seems to me the problem is that there is no clear winning or losing side...because the margin is so small and the tip of the balance is down to media and the ignorant population being mislead with false info.

• Like 1

The main argument against a new Scottish referendum is the quote from Alex Salmond - leader of the SNP at the time of the last referendum in 2014 that it would be a "once in a generation opportunity"

This is cited by many of the people against a new referendum - and they also point to the fact that it was over 40 years between the two referenda on Europe (joining the European Common Market in 1974 and leaving the EU in 2016).

The arguments for a new referendum in 2016 were the many changes in the structure and the relationship with the EU over the previous years which had changed the balance of sovereignty between the parties.

The Scottish argument is also that Brexit is a similar constitutional change made after the Scottish referendum.

In the speech from Alex Salmond where the quote of generational opportunity is cited,  he refers to the "eighteen-year gap between the devolution referenda held in 1979 and in 1997 as an example of the generational opportunity." 

18 years is also the voting age in the UK, so it could be argued that every 18 years there is a whole "generation" which has yet to vote on that specific issue.

It is therefore not a question of "if" Scotland should be allowed a new referendum, but only of "when" - 40 years, 18 years or less.

My own personal view is that at least 10 years should be the minimum time between such similar referenda - and so a vote in 2024 could be a compromise, once the Scottish people have seen the effects of Brexit play out and a new UK general election has been held.

14 minutes ago, crobe said:

The main argument against a new Scottish referendum is the quote from Alex Salmond - leader of the SNP at the time of the last referendum in 2014 that it would be a "once in a generation opportunity"

This is cited by many of the people against a new referendum - and they also point to the fact that it was over 40 years between the two referenda on Europe (joining the European Common Market in 1974 and leaving the EU in 2016).

The arguments for a new referendum in 2016 were the many changes in the structure and the relationship with the EU over the previous years which had changed the balance of sovereignty between the parties.

The Scottish argument is also that Brexit is a similar constitutional change made after the Scottish referendum.

In the speech from Alex Salmond where the quote of generational opportunity is cited,  he refers to the "eighteen-year gap between the devolution referenda held in 1979 and in 1997 as an example of the generational opportunity." 

18 years is also the voting age in the UK, so it could be argued that every 18 years there is a whole "generation" which has yet to vote on that specific issue.

It is therefore not a question of "if" Scotland should be allowed a new referendum, but only of "when" - 40 years, 18 years or less.

My own personal view is that at least 10 years should be the minimum time between such similar referenda - and so a vote in 2024 could be a compromise, once the Scottish people have seen the effects of Brexit play out and a new UK general election has been held.

I can see your 10 years minimum view

but

where does seen Brexit effects

and new UK GE come into it?

11 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

We want independence so we can spend our money on what we want to.

No you don't. Your country voted to remain in the UK. You want your country to subjugate itself to the EU because you dislike the French/Germans less than you dislike the English.

PS you haven't got any money to spend. Your budget deficit is so high the EU won't even take you.

image.png.ea00caa2ce13d900adce64a8b4491c8b.png

That's before you even look at the long term decline in the price of oil.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1