Pattaya: It's official - Pattaya tourism down the pan, Chinese off to Vietnam and Indians the last hope

rooster59

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Last time I saw this sign at entrance of a WS agogo :

"Sorry, it's full! Please come back in 15 minutes"  :cool:

So clearly there are customers... if the agogo is good.

I've never seen a sign like this.

Maybe they were rushing around trying to find girls to work for the night.  ????

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I dunno that the Thai leaders will wanna do such an abrupt about face.

I'm just a holiday maker but I know one 12 year expat who's started arrangements to return to the UK. And he was a big spender.

But what were his reasons? Sometimes it isn't all about the prices. Healthcare plays quite a factor... he was maybe young and healthy when he arrived, and 12 years living high in Pattaya can soon tear that up. 

22 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Last time I saw this sign at entrance of a WS agogo :

"Sorry, it's full! Please come back in 15 minutes"  :cool:

So clearly there are customers... if the agogo is good.

I remember that! It was in 1984 and the sign was displayed outside Caligula in what is now Walking Street.

But there were only about three GGBs in Pattaya back then and Caligula was by far the best one.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:15 AM, KhunBENQ said:

And again the 10000 Baht/day spent by Indian tourists!

10000 Baht ~ 300 EUR ~ 330 USD ~ 250 GBP per day.

Tell me where these Indian tourists are!

With this amount you could stay in a proper Swiss mountain resort, stay in Paris, London ...

250 GBP, I can eat, drink and feel merry for 5 days in UK for that, have to admit that merry is starting to lose her figure a bit nowadays though.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Langkawee said:

Exactly. Thailand has handed the golden opportunity for long stay visitors to see how lovely people are in other countries are. It's a blessing in disguise to be refused entry to Thailand. Many will feel the regret wasting too many years in Thailand. 

10 million of those use LCC to transit, stamped into Thailand for 2 hours to transit flight (necessary for LCC) Another 10 million are Malays, Laos, Burmese, Cambodian border hoppers for 2 hours. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 9:14 AM, rooster59 said:

Manoch repeated claims from other sources that Indians spend 10,000 baht a day - twice as much as the Chinese.

Of course he forgot to mention that was the total for the grandmother, grandfather, mother, father, 6 children and two great grandchildren. 

• Like 1

They don't even want Indian tourists in India. What is happening in Goa India, a once pristine and popular tourist destination with Europeans, is now being decimated by Indian tourists. It is a situation that mirrors Pattaya. The governor of Goa has called them "animals." His word, not mine.  https://openthemagazine.com/society/the-ugly-indian-tourist/

• Thanks 2

On 12/14/2019 at 1:14 PM, rooster59 said:

Since the middle of that month until now occupancy rates at Pattaya hotels are down 20% on where they should be. Normally at this time of year hotels would be full, he said. 

That explains why places I've stayed the past couple of years are all trying to charge like wounded bulls then :coffee1:

12 hours ago, wmusick said:

They don't even want Indian tourists in India. What is happening in Goa India, a once pristine and popular tourist destination with Europeans, is now being decimated by Indian tourists. It is a situation that mirrors Pattaya. The governor of Goa has called them "animals." His word, not mine.  https://openthemagazine.com/society/the-ugly-indian-tourist/

Wow, shocking read and one sees many parallels for Pattaya!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wmusick said:

Lucky the Indians coming to Pattaya have more than this ........

"According to state government statistics, a domestic tourist in Goa spends four times less than his foreign counterpart. This, despite several of these foreigners being travellers on shoestring budgets themselves. Several hoteliers claim that the spending ratio is even starker, perhaps ten to one."

On 12/14/2019 at 9:30 AM, keith101 said:

They always like to blame something/someone else rather than the fact that the baht is way to high for a lot of to afford to come to Thailand for a holiday

It's not the Baht that's high it foreign currencies that have lost their value against the Baht. The Baht has value. Well done Thailand. 

if you are not getting value against the Baht complain to you home government as they are the course.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

many old timers have a limp dick and dont need patters any more ,others have died this year and will never be coming back .god rest their souls ,but they had a good time while it lasted.others have dementia and cant travel any more where once they stayed at the nana hotel for months

Edited by 3NUMBAS
  • Like 2

Last time I was in Pattaya ( June then October) Many of the bars were empty. Admittedly low season but comparing with years gone by still low tourist numbers. Most of the bars were empty or just one or two customers. Scooters had about six other than that the corner bar which seems to have a regular clientele of ex pats was the only one with decent numbers. I think its a combination of problems that is causing the decline of western tourists. The pricing combined with the high Baht, dual pricing tourist scams and rip offs combined with all the new regulations aimed at foreigners has made it a much less welcoming, expensive and overly officious place to visit. I stopped in the phils on my way home from Thailand and found it cheaper and easier and nowhere near as onerous combined with friendly people. Yes it is still a third world country and has other problems but appears to be much more "foreigner friendly" ATM.

Edited by Hugh Lao

On 12/24/2019 at 12:02 AM, Brigand said:

The reason no-one mentions the value of the baht is because they are all under orders, including Pinocchio and his cohorts. Even Stevie Wonder can see it.

The strong baht makes the wealthy Thai's more wealthier abroad, and the wealthy Thai's couldn't care less about their fellow citizens, or the well being of their country's economy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I have to do a complete 180 here on the doom and gloom.

Last evening I was in a few mainly farang oriented bar areas.

The soi 6 area was the busiest I've seen for a long time. Most bars with multiple punters. So with 200 plus punters and 600 odd lovelies it was teaming.

Likewise for Soi Buakao and some of the in between areas.

Also yesterday went to Papa Beach Club for late lunch, and visited Nong Nooch.

Both places very busy, with all nationalities, although Papa beach mostly Bangkok Thai's, but of course that brings money into this area.

So all in all it's not as bad as reported..whether this is good for the coming year, who knows, but at least for now things are rockin!.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

The soi 6 area was the busiest I've seen for a long time. Most bars with multiple punters. So with 200 plus punters and 600 odd lovelies it was teaming.

Likewise for Soi Buakao and some of the in between areas.

You do know this is peak season, not high season.  It's that 2 week period incorporating Christmas and New Year.  It;s the busiest time of the year.

Many business owners here would use profits made in high season to carry them through the low season.  The high season appears to be shrinking in time, and I don't think 2 weeks of peak season is enough to carry owners through to the next peak season. 

On 12/27/2019 at 12:14 AM, 3NUMBAS said:

how official is it? numbers up or down and what countries?? are in or out

I am not suggesting TAT's numbers are accurate, but due to the sheer number of coach buses I see, I would not be surprised if number are up. 

The problem is, the money from these bigger numbers is not there.  Their spend is way down, when compared to the traditional tourist market.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

// The problem is, the money from these bigger numbers is not there.  Their spend is way down, when compared to the traditional tourist market.

How do you know that?

These people may not spend their money in the places where you do it,

it doesn't mean that they don't spend it in other places.

• Thanks 1