UK PM Johnson cannot keep Scotland in union against its will: Sturgeon

webfact

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Sturgeon pretty much accepts here that these people are SNP supporters.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-no-place-for-anti-english-sentiment-in-the-snp-1-4987799

Are you suggesting these people are voting for Conservatives?

No she does not.

She states quite clearly she does not want them in the SNP.

Here are her EXACT words.

The First Minister admitted that "any party, any movement" could "attract people who don't want.. who will see, or choose to see, something in what you stand for that it's not."

She added: "The banner you talk about, that person with that banner does not speak for the SNP and that sentiment has no place in the kind of Scotland I want us to be and think we are.

"I think you can't get to a situation, in any party, that you can say with certainty that you never attract the wrong kind of person. But you can be vehement and resolute in calling it out and saying very clearly if that's your opinion you don't belong in this party, we don't want you.

"And people who put up banners like that I don't want them in the SNP, I'm sorry if that offends them but I don't want them."

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Yes I was.

Some English people (living in Scotland and also outside Scotland) want Scotland to leave the UK. That doesn't contradict my point that there is anti English sentiment among Scots in Scotland and in the SNP. We have Scots on this very forum confirming it.

You have a picture of ONE guy with a banner and ONE guy helpfully supporting your case.

Sturgeon pretty much accepts here that these people are SNP supporters.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-no-place-for-anti-english-sentiment-in-the-snp-1-4987799

So you can provide examples if it is as widespread as you say? 

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Are you suggesting these people are voting for Conservatives?

I doubt it very much, but I fail to see even a scintilla of relevance to my point - there is no evidence of SNP in the photo.

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yes I was.

Some English people (living in Scotland and also outside Scotland) want Scotland to leave the UK. That doesn't contradict my point that there is anti English sentiment among Scots in Scotland and in the SNP. We have Scots on this very forum confirming it.

And there is certainly plenty of anti-Scottish sentiment on these boards too. The only difference is that 99% of the anti-Scottish sentiment is overlooked by all, whereas we are more than happy to call out and distance ourselves from anti-English nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

No she does not.

She states quite clearly she does not want them in the SNP.

Here are her EXACT words.

The First Minister admitted that "any party, any movement" could "attract people who don't want.. who will see, or choose to see, something in what you stand for that it's not."

She added: "The banner you talk about, that person with that banner does not speak for the SNP and that sentiment has no place in the kind of Scotland I want us to be and think we are.

"I think you can't get to a situation, in any party, that you can say with certainty that you never attract the wrong kind of person. But you can be vehement and resolute in calling it out and saying very clearly if that's your opinion you don't belong in this party, we don't want you.

"And people who put up banners like that I don't want them in the SNP, I'm sorry if that offends them but I don't want them."

She's a politician. She is essentially admitting it without saying it. Read this line carefully.

"I think you can't get to a situation, in any party, that you can say with certainty that you never attract the wrong kind of person. But you can be vehement and resolute in calling it out and saying very clearly if that's your opinion you don't belong in this party, we don't want you."

She is basically saying that they are here but we don't want them here. I'm sorry if you can't see that.

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

She's a politician. She is essentially admitting it without saying it. Read this line carefully.

"I think you can't get to a situation, in any party, that you can say with certainty that you never attract the wrong kind of person. But you can be vehement and resolute in calling it out and saying very clearly if that's your opinion you don't belong in this party, we don't want you."

She is basically saying that they are here but we don't want them here. I'm sorry if you can't see that.

So we can agree then that Brexit is a racist endeavour?

9 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

JK Rowling had a vote in the referendum because she lived, worked and paid taxes in Scotland. I don't agree with her politics but she had every right to participate in the referendum. 

Rubbish, only Scottish people should get a vote. Do you think her millions in tax goes to the Scottish government?

So one guy with a banner suddenly represents Scotland?

Get a grip.

You are inventing an issue to support your agenda and it is simply a baseless assertion.

Give some examples of anti English sentiment if it is so widespread as you claim.

I suspect you will not.

7 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You have a picture of ONE guy with a banner and ONE guy helpfully supporting your case.

If you are seriously denying that there is any anti English sentiment in Scotland then you are being disingenuous and there is little point continuing discussing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglophobia#Scotland

image.png.3d070e98b4a40694946d767dab0b4abf.png

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

What has that got to do with you hating the English and why would you want to exchange rhetoric with people you "hate" and "dislike" so much? Sometimes when you are in a hole it is better to stop digging.

You said xenophobia is treatable.

What had that got to do with Scotland hated of the English, it is not xenophobia, buy a dictionary.

Oh the need to feel loved, I suggest you take the questions to find out if you are codependent.

On 12/16/2019 at 6:58 AM, Rookiescot said:

If you guys are so confident that Scotland should not leave the union then why dont you all put forward a positive case for Scotland to remain in the UK?

We can then put your convincing argument forward to the people of Scotland and you can win the referendum and kill off Scottish independence for the next 50 years.

1.2 million votes for the SNP

1.5 million votes for unionist parties.

Enough said.......

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Wait so you have gone from claiming widespread anti English sentiment in Scotland to now admitting you dont even live there.

How would you know whats going on?

I'm talking about 30 years ago. I doubt much has changed.

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Weak. Soooooooooooo weak.

In what way? Your political aspirations, despite there being mountains of evidence of daily casual racism from a small number of Brexit supporters, even from the PM himself, is pure of intent, whereas mine is nasty and virulent?

Get over yourself. If Scottish independence was tainted by even a fraction of the incidents that we see daily because of Brexit we would RIGHTLY be castigated by all and sundry. But we do not point to the alarming rise of racism and racist incidents in England and say that this is the fault of Brexiteers because we know that this is representing only a tiny minitory of Brexit supporters. Your weak, lazy and contrived attempt to smear Scots as anti-English is genuinely insulting.

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If you are seriously denying that there is any anti English sentiment in Scotland then you are being disingenuous and there is little point continuing discussing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglophobia#Scotland

image.png.3d070e98b4a40694946d767dab0b4abf.png

Good grief.

It states quite clearly "Few of the English (only 16 percent) see conflict as even fairly serious".

So given choices between Very serious, Serious, fairly serious and not serious only 16% went for the lowest level. 84% said not serious.

As for fighting between rival football teams. If thats your only evidence then give up.

Archived