Police picking only on farangs

sitanonchai

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Beggar said:

There are Thais without license too. But I also would check the tourists first because it is more likely that they don't have one. Sometimes I watch the police at the checkpoint here in Pattaya on the Beach Road in front of the police station. VERY MANY tourists have to leave their motorbikes there. Of course they should not have been able to rent the motorbike at all. The people renting them out have to check if they have a valid license. No idea if anything happens to THEM. 

One place I know of have been fined for renting out scooters without the IDL 2000 Baht a go

From what I see down here in Phuket many Thai's get stopped a friend of mine got stopped the other week DUI spent the night in jail court the following morning,

Ive seen th e police standing at the exit of the tunnel in Chalong stopping bikes coming through the tunnel and it's all been Thai's

22 hours ago, Beggar said:

Farangs might be on top of the list because many drive here without a valid driving license and so in the end without insurance coverage. 

and Thais do not?? I admit that more Farangs in Pattaya would ride without a licence, but only because they are on holiday, which of course is still no excuse.

They are stopping more Farangs because most of them are on holiday, and they know they will have lots of money, so that means lots of tea money which they won't get from the Thais.

22 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

When has anyone ever been threatened with jail for having no International licence or having a wheel over the line at the lights??

Just take your key out of the keyhole if they approach you. Don't give them your keys nor allow them to take them. No discussion, other than a polite no. 

They can use your licence for any tickets details and then they have to hand it back to you.

That's it. 

What they have to do and what they will do are two different things.

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

There are Thais without license too. But I also would check the tourists first because it is more likely that they don't have one. Sometimes I watch the police at the checkpoint here in Pattaya on the Beach Road in front of the police station. VERY MANY tourists have to leave their motorbikes there. Of course they should not have been able to rent the motorbike at all. The people renting them out have to check if they have a valid license. No idea if anything happens to THEM. 

As far as I know, there are motorcycle hire shops that are owned by the police.

Get a helmet cam (dash cam) make it obvious and better on the left side, they see it and immediately wave you through...!

Works a treat, I know, many times on the moat at Chiang Mai (their favourite place Thapea gate and just south of the north west corner) as soon as they see it I'm waved through, even had them try to pull me over but then they see the helmet cam and they change their mind very quickly.

On 12/16/2019 at 6:08 PM, scubascuba3 said:

They prefer falang because its easier to get money out of them, I've been pulled over loads of times but as long as you are legal you are on your way in seconds.

Best to avoid those junctions where the police hang out

Waived over again to day at a regular highway strop. Showed my 5 year ThaiMotorcycle License and was waived on. But I live here so this is not an issue for me. My concern is watching out for the Chinese tourist motorcycle drivers.

A post designed to hijack this topic has been removed also multiple replies to it. Please understand this is trolling.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

On 12/16/2019 at 1:02 PM, Don Mega said:

nobody at police station spoke English.

So first you answer "I agree, story is riddled with holes." 

Riddled with holes means there are a lot of points incorrect.

You come up with one point  "nobody at police station spoke English". 

I mentioned that at that time (evening) there was only one older officer with no English skills.

If that person behind the desk can't explain in English the reason why he got that ticket then that person has no English language skills, neither did the officer who wrote the ticket.

End off discussion 

1 minute ago, sitanonchai said:

I mentioned that at that time (evening) there was only one older officer with no English skills.

If that person behind the desk can't explain in English the reason why he got that ticket then that person has no English language skills, neither did the officer who wrote the ticket.

End off discussion 

only one officer on duty..... there is another hole in the story.

For those living in Pattaya without a MC license, Mityon dealership has a 3 day school that preps you for computer and riding test. Cost is 1000 bht and well worth it IMO. The school is located on Suk across from water slides. 

2 days ago IMO went to visit my step brother condominium building, in Krabi town,  some foreign and Thai owners renting on a daily basis, they check which were doing the TM30 reporting, it appears nobody was doing them but only the foreigners owners get fined, today was told this is not the first time they visit

11 hours ago, Guderian said:

It's just the time of the year, so many farang tourists around driving motorbikes without a helmet or proper licence that they see it as being like shooting fish in a barrel. Why go to all the bother of arguing with a Thai when you can just give a tourist a ticket, even if the farang's legit. People living here would tend to argue with the cop, but tourists only want to have a good time, understandably, so are much more likely to just pay up.

The police are criticised when they dont enforce the law and criticized when they do enforce the law. Im tired of farang complaining all the time. Some farang just seem out of their depth with NO idea of the social mores and values in this country and they should never come here. Go to the Maldives or Singapore...anywhere but here!

1 hour ago, tabarin said:

Just let him visit Vietnam instead, I will recommend it to everyone as a tourist. 

Not as an expat (yet) but as tourist, certainly. Cheaper, unique, vibrant and engaging Vietnamese that are not looking for money benefits.

A lot of us have been to many SE Asian countries Vietnam is OK..of course they seek to profit from tourists.

8 hours ago, sitanonchai said:

End off discussion 

Once while driving my car, I ran across a Police Stop set up on the road side.

When one Police waved his hand at me, and blew his whistle,

I Smiled Big, Waved Back and shouted "HELLO", and went my Merry Way. 

15 hours ago, Beggar said:

check the tourists first because it is more likely that they don't have one

There was supposed to be some 'incentive' some time ago that the people who rented out motorcycles to people without valid licences would be fined. What happened there? Yes I know, a lot to expect of a Thai renter to check foreign licences. 

Archived