Tourists injured as tour boat hits yacht off Phuket

snoop1130

14 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

For sure, the speed boat co. won't pay, the victims won't have travel ins. or equivelant most likely, so the med. cost to be added to the amount that retired expats are said to owe.

a hundred baht charge added to the tansportation tix for tourist should be in effect to cover these accidents.

The speedboat company is by law required to have accident insurance. And with frequent checks, it is very, very likely that they will have that. Also if an agent is involved, they are also required to have insurance.

5 hours ago, legend49 said:

They steer boats the same way they steer cars on the roads!

Not only steering, long time ago I owned a boat at the boatlagoon, when you go out for over a distant of about 6 miles it was not allowed to go faster than 5/hrs.

I was always passed by this kind of people with at least 3 times the permitted speed.

Terrible people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The speedboat company is by law required to have accident insurance. And with frequent checks, it is very, very likely that they will have that. Also if an agent is involved, they are also required to have insurance.

Yes StevenL, I have read a little bit about this requirement, the article concerning this said that the co. if registered with the tourist authority they must carry the insurance and I hope they all do.  It is the frequent checks being thorough that is concerning.  I know you have experience in the industry I believe so I take your word at this.  Is the ins. a full coverage or limited in payouts?

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Boat collision kills one and injures ten in Phang-nga

boat.jpg

One foreign tourist died and ten others were injured in a collision between a speed boat and a yacht in the Andaman Sea off Thailand’s southern province of Phang-nga on Wednesday.

One speed boat crew member, identified only as “Boy”, went missing and a search is under way by the Navy as well as marine and tourist police and volunteers from the Kusolatham foundation.

Police have not disclosed the identity of the deceased victim, who was pronounced dead at the provincial hospital, but they said that the boat passengers were from India, Iran and Israel, and that the relevant embassies have been notified.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/boat-collision-kills-one-and-injures-ten-in-phang-nga/

thaipbs.jpg

I don't understand this, is this another accident?

In the first message is spoken about the east coast of Phuket, as far as I know the Andaman sea is at the west coast.

And it is the same picture, all very confusing.

22 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

Yes StevenL, I have read a little bit about this requirement, the article concerning this said that the co. if registered with the tourist authority they must carry the insurance and I hope they all do.  It is the frequent checks being thorough that is concerning.  I know you have experience in the industry I believe so I take your word at this.  Is the ins. a full coverage or limited in payouts?

By law required minimum is 1 mio for death.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sketcher said:

Not all yachts have sails. The speedboat hit the motor yacht which in that picture is picking up the passengers from the damaged speedboat. 

"Not all yachts have sails" - that is certainly true although both use and size have relevance here.  Google's simple definition is "a medium-sized sailboat equipped for cruising or racing".  Wiki on the other hand say "Today's yachts are almost exclusively for leisure. A yacht is any sail or power vessel used for pleasure, cruising, or racing."  Apparently yachts are normally over 7m but under 12m they are more normally called "cabin cruisers" or "cruisers".  In this thread we do not know the length or use of the "yacht". Having seen the pictures I'll stick to the definition "gin palace".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IraqRon said:

For sure, the speed boat co. won't pay, the victims won't have travel ins. or equivelant most likely, so the med. cost to be added to the amount that retired expats are said to owe.

a hundred baht charge added to the tansportation tix for tourist should be in effect to cover these accidents.

I really do not understand your logic. Surely the answer is for the government to force these tour operators, taxi's in fact anyone responsible for the injury or death of a tourist to pay in full all costs of treatment and full compensation ant a basket of bird nest soup but hundreds of thousands of £ or $ etc that is the only way correct procedures, qualified people and insurance carried. Why should the tourist be left to pay and live their life with some disability that they end up suffering with. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Phuket is the largest island in Thailand. It is in the Andaman Sea in southern Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phuket_Province

Phuket Island has a West coast and an East coast.

It also has a North East orientated coast and pointy bits in the North and in the South.

If there is anything else that you, "Peterphuket", need to know about Phuket, Wikipedia awaits.

When you reed back my message than you'll see, I was boating there.

53 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Phuket is the largest island in Thailand. It is in the Andaman Sea in southern Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phuket_Province

Phuket Island has a West coast and an East coast.

It also has a North East orientated coast and pointy bits in the North and in the South.

If there is anything else that you, "Peterphuket", need to know about Phuket, Wikipedia awaits.

At the east side it is called the Pang Nga bay, and not the Andaman sea.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Boat collision kills one and injures ten in Phang-nga

boat.jpg

One foreign tourist died and ten others were injured in a collision between a speed boat and a yacht in the Andaman Sea off Thailand’s southern province of Phang-nga on Wednesday.

One speed boat crew member, identified only as “Boy”, went missing and a search is under way by the Navy as well as marine and tourist police and volunteers from the Kusolatham foundation.

Police have not disclosed the identity of the deceased victim, who was pronounced dead at the provincial hospital, but they said that the boat passengers were from India, Iran and Israel, and that the relevant embassies have been notified.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/boat-collision-kills-one-and-injures-ten-in-phang-nga/

thaipbs.jpg

Well, when I used to mess about on the water, the big one would have been called a cabin crusier/gin palace, and the smaller one a motor boat neither of them either speed boats or yachts, I always thought a yacht by definition was mainly powered by sails, & a speed boat was a quite small, fast boat with big outboard engine/s...

But then I'm a Brit, maybe the definition is different in American dictionaries...

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Remember that boat on the chaopraya which sunk 3 years ago after it hit an underwater pole...it was full of passengers and insured....but the insurance company pocketed the money so the boat happened to be uninsured.

This is Thailand, anything is possible.

3 hours ago, Scot123 said:

I really do not understand your logic. Surely the answer is for the government to force these tour operators, taxi's in fact anyone responsible for the injury or death of a tourist to pay in full all costs of treatment and full compensation ant a basket of bird nest soup but hundreds of thousands of £ or $ etc that is the only way correct procedures, qualified people and insurance carried. Why should the tourist be left to pay and live their life with some disability that they end up suffering with. 

This is Thailand, getting someone here to accept responsibility for their actions, or lack thereof,, is very difficult.  My logic is the same as any shared insurance scheme, all pay a little to cover the loss of the few, it could be anyone.  Your reliance on correct procedures, etc while something to aspire towards just doesn't protect all.  Even in first world america where regulation is punitive there are exceptions:  the burning of the dive boat and deaths of all tourist aboard which happened in Southern California recently.  I would rather pay a little out of my pocket than rely of the vendors here, or elsewhere, to be insured and trained.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mises said:

The tour boat appears to have hit the starboard side of the 'yacht' so the tour boat had right of way and it was the duty of the 'yacht' to avoid the collision. 

rules-1.jpg

Look again. The damage was down the left side of the vessel (port). If they had been travelling in opposite directions but passed too close, neither would have been in the wrong. First rule of navigation passport.

Pass on the port side.