THAI to submit rehab, purchase plans in January

webfact

THAI to submit rehab, purchase plans in January

By THE NATION

800_88d8abf4ed23f16.jpg?v=1576674802

State carrier Thai Airways International (THAI) plans to submit a rehabilitation plan (2020-2025) to the board of directors in January, comprising twenty projects and four measures.

THAI president Sumeth Damrongchaitham said a separate proposal for the purchase of new aircraft will also be submitted.

The first measure aims to increase Thai Airways’ revenue from ancillary services, such as advance seat selection, food and beverage and ‘preferred seats’ which allows passengers to get a seat with extra space if they paid more.

The ‘preferred seats’ service has been well received, expected to increase THAI's revenue by least Bt70 million per month”, the president said.

"Also, there are measures to improve the carrier's capacity by using technology, and to control and reduce the organisation’s expenditure by applying a new aircraft management plan ‘Plan Buy Fly Sale’.

This plan will allow the organisation to buy or sell aircraft at any time, without waiting for them to be discharged or falling into deterioration”.

The last measure means other measures apart from the three, such as dealer control measure, or a measure to improve collaboration between the organization and the government.

In the board of director’s meeting in January 2020, the company’s executives will propose a new aircraft purchase plan, based on the existing framework for 38 aircraft at a maximum cost of Bt156 million.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379600

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-19

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The ‘preferred seats’ service has been well received, expected to increase THAI's revenue by least Bt70 million per month”, the president said.

I haven't travelled by air for a few years now, but am baffled that people pay more to have a 'seat with extra space'. Aren't they all the same size in, say, economy?

Having said that, what sort of premium are they likely to pay in order to generate 70 million Baht a month?

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I haven't travelled by air for a few years now, but am baffled that people pay more to have a 'seat with extra space'. Aren't they all the same size in, say, economy?

Having said that, what sort of premium are they likely to pay in order to generate 70 million Baht a month?

The seats are usually the same but greater leg room seats attract a premium. The seat pitch in economy these days can be so tight as to make any length of flight seriously uncomfortable for economy passengers who are six feet tall and above. Which is why exit rows and bulkhead seats are prized so highly.

As for premium: a round trip London/Bangkok visa BA can be had for around 500 Pounds, if purchased in the UK, an exit row or bulkhead row seat can add 100 Pounds to that price, each way!

"For extra legroom, exit rows seats are available on longer international flights in World Traveller starting from £50/€60/$75". 

https://www.britishairways.com/en-de/information/atom/seating/choosing-your-seat

Edited by saengd
  • Like 1

THAI's Premium Economy Class, provides an enhanced dimension in passenger choice over the airline's longest routes. In the THAI B777-300ER, a segregated cabin offers just 18 Premium Economy Class seats.

Thai - Economy has 36" of legroom which is about 5" more than U.S. domestic planes. Premium Economy has 42". The service and food is the same. Also no difference in in flight entertainment. The A340 has monitors built in to the seat backs and a choice of about 30 movies and games to pass the time.  Cost upgrades vary depending on the route, however prices start at around $199US for promo deals on the premium upgrade.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

THAI president Sumeth Damrongchaitham said a separate proposal for the purchase of new aircraft will also be submitted.

Ahh, when in doubt and the business is in the crapper expand and buy more new planes why don't you?...is there anyone there at all, who KNOWS how to run an airline?...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, steven100 said:

THAI's Premium Economy Class, provides an enhanced dimension in passenger choice over the airline's longest routes. In the THAI B777-300ER, a segregated cabin offers just 18 Premium Economy Class seats.

Thai - Economy has 36" of legroom which is about 5" more than U.S. domestic planes. Premium Economy has 42". The service and food is the same. Also no difference in in flight entertainment. The A340 has monitors built in to the seat backs and a choice of about 30 movies and games to pass the time.  Cost upgrades vary depending on the route, however prices start at around $199US for promo deals on the premium upgrade.

Thanks for that.

I'm showing my ignorance now - I had always thought economy was economy. I never knew there was a cunning plan to separate you from more of your cash.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Ahh, when in doubt and the business is in the crapper expand and buy more new planes why don't you?...is there anyone there at all, who KNOWS how to run an airline?...

Buying newer planes can actually improve airline profitability, newer planes have better fuel consumption, require less costly maintenance, almost certainly have cheaper leasing costs and are more attractive to passengers.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for that.

I'm showing my ignorance now - I had always thought economy was economy. I never knew there was a cunning plan to separate you from more of your cash.

On long haul flights 4 (or 6) inches make a hell of a difference, when it comes to legroom. As well as for any other illicit activity in the lavatories.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

a new aircraft purchase plan, based on the existing framework for 38 aircraft at a maximum cost of Bt156 million.

That is cheap. That's about 135,000 USD per plane...cheaper than some cars...

Looking at that sentence a bit longer, I finally understood: It's not 38 aircraft for 156 mio bt, it's the purchase plan itself that costs 156 mio bt. Now it makes sense. Thai sense.

The ‘preferred seats’ service has been well received, expected to increase THAI's revenue by Bt70 million per month”, the president said.

So they're expecting to be making around $2M a month because of offering seat selection beforehand. Approx $66,000 a day ????????????

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

not sure how this application is going to add substantial revenue which is urgently needed, unless of coarse they are looking at selling most of their aircraft to meet the mounting losses.

Just sell the whole thing off as is ……   let someone else run it who know's what they are doing  !!  imo

I think that there must be considerable pressure to sell the A-340 airplanes which have been mothballed for many years and are certainly deteriorating. The last time I checked there were 9 left after the government took one for its use. Those planes are extremely undesirable because they have 4 engines and burn too much fuel.

• Like 1

One definition of insanity is 'doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result'.

Except in Thailand it seems. New Year, new inititive. Same as last year but different.

These people truly are hopeless, they don't have a clue.

THAI has been left behind. They are not innovative. All their "ideas" are just copied from other airlines.

New, outside blood is definitely needed within the management but with the current military led Government they will continue to look after their own and appointees will continue to be from the Military.

The brand still has a good image....until someone flies on their older planes with 1990s seats and entertainment systems. BA's not a lot better in all honesty but they remain profitable as they are properly run.

Edited by madmitch

8 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

One definition of insanity is 'doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result'.

Except in Thailand it seems. New Year, new inititive. Same as last year but different.

These people truly are hopeless, they don't have a clue.

OK airlines expert, tell us what you would do, given your huge breadth of airline experience.

• Confused 1

Thai Airways did already changes. We used to travel between Paris and Bangkok in a comfortable A380 with a professional crew. 
Our last flight was in an old A330 with a young inexperienced crew and non motivated.
Moreover, prices followed the level of the baht and Thai Airways is no more competitive. 
Bye bye !

33 minutes ago, saengd said:

OK airlines expert, tell us what you would do, given your huge breadth of airline experience.

I have no airline qualifications and am therefore unsuited to run THAI. Mind you, judging by their results, so are most Directors and every CX over the past several years.

I don't know what THAI will require to be rehabilitated, but (it seems) neither do the government or THAI management. The track record is not great.

What would *you* recommend?

9 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

I have no airline qualifications and am therefore unsuited to run THAI. Mind you, judging by their results, so are most Directors and every CX over the past several years.

I don't know what THAI will require to be rehabilitated, but (it seems) neither do the government or THAI management. The track record is not great.

What would *you* recommend?

You wrote in your earlier post that "These people truly are hopeless, they don't have a clue' how to run or turn around an airline, I presumed you wrote that because you were in a position to judge, apparently that's not so.

34 minutes ago, saengd said:

You wrote in your earlier post that "These people truly are hopeless, they don't have a clue' how to run or turn around an airline, I presumed you wrote that because you were in a position to judge, apparently that's not so.

Everyone has an opinions, lots have opinions about Thais in general, I suggest you canvass the posts on TV. I think you'll find many more people agreeing with me than disagreeing; in fact I am much more qualified to comment on the general hopelessness of Thais than I am to comment on THAI, but since THAI is, well, THAI, I suspect the general malaise afficting Thais is also present in THAI. Perhaps you know better?