Selling Thai Property Whilst Absent

philisok

I have a house in Pattaya which I bought about 10 years ago, I had to return to my Home country for a Major Operation.

Since the operation I've had ongoing problems that prevent me from returning to Thailand.

I'm wondering if I can sell my house whilst I am not in the country.

Any help appreciated.

Very difficult... I know someone in a similar position. You need to have someone you can trust who you then give power of attorney. I also expect many documents would be going back and forth. Depending which price bracket the home is in will also dictate whether it will readily sell. 

Is it leased, Thai name or company name? 

5 hours ago, philisok said:

The house is vacant at present.

Bought in Thai Company name.

The only people that can advise if an absentee seller is permitted is the law office or lawyer that set up the Thai company that owns the property.

Keep in mind that AFAIK, there's no generic Power of Attorney form or procedure that applies across all land offices. There are some land offices that don't allow any PoA's to be used and insist that all parties must appear in person at offices. In this case, if the OP's lawyer or another Thai person that is a signatory member of the Thai company holding the property title is still available, that could make it easier. Otherwise, the absentee owner would probably still need to get any PoA certified by the Royal Thai Embassy in his homeland.

Edited by NanLaew

22 hours ago, philisok said:

The house is vacant at present.

Bought in Thai Company name.

Hopefully all the paperwork is ready to go and all the shareholders have pre-signed their sale/release documents. Many are still using ID copes of expired IDs of shareholders! 

Are you in touch with the lawyer who prepared the annual accounts? 

Give POA to a good trustworthy lawyer, let him do the necessary director and share changes, once you or a real estate agent found a buyer. If house is taken out of existing company it will probably have some tax consequences to be dealt with, try to avoid. But even selling via LO while abroad is very simple. Did many times. LO accepts simple POA notarized either by notary  or at Thai consulate. Change of director and shareholder a few more forms, but no problem at Commercial Department in Chonburi. Get well. If need lawyer let me know. Real lawyer, not cheap, but 100% reliable. MS>

• Like 1