Arrived With An Expired Visa

OK, got back from Manila this afternoon, whilst out of the country my non-o (multi) expired (27th Feb). Since a new one wasn't going to be forthcoming in Manila and I'm off to India on the 10th I intended entering on a visa exemption (easy eh?).

I must state that my PP has NO, ZERO, NADA, SOD ALL visa exemption stamps at all. Since october I've spent a whole 41 days in LoS (using my non-o).

So I racked up to a nice short (6 or so) immigration queue, looking forward to a quick exit to the missus :o Cute immi lady spots my expired visa, "no good", "I know" says I, "I just want a 30 day visa exemption stamp", "how long you stay", "10 days", "cannot, too long!!". <deleted>? I tried to explain that I had a 1 year visa that only expired 5 weeks ago, how could I have been "too long", at this point she clammed up and called the 'supervisor' (another cute one).

Supervisor hauled me out of the queue (to the stares of the rest of the passengers off my flight) and showed me the new regulation sign, nicely printed and on display (BTW it says six months, not 180 days). "I understand, but I don't have any visa exemption stamps, this does not apply to me". She's not looked at my PP as yet, now she looks, "you have many stamps", huh, I've got a dozen entry exit pairs over the last two and a bit years (all on non-o visas), "come with me".

I'm getting worried now, requests for the supervisor merely elicit the "new rule" reply. Anyway, get dragged off to the other end of the terminal, "use these desk" (it's just the other immi counters), er, no officers in sight. Finally she got someone out of the office to stamp me in, which he does (but not before counting my days???). I dread to think what would have occured if I'd (legally) had over 90 days in LoS.

Ah well, TiT I suppose.

EDIT. I will say this was all done with smiles (somewhat forced on my part I admit) and I had no doubt I would be allowed in eventually, but it wasted a good 30 minutes and I had to walk back down the terminal to get my bag.

Edited by Crossy

That’s the worst misinterpretation of the rule by an Immigration officer I have read so far, and I have read them all.

I believe it's time to write a book. A compilation...

It's totally surreal.

How many month, or years, before the Thai authotories can give a proper training to their staff and explain how the new "rules" are working ?

How many month, or years, before the Thai authotories can give a proper training to their staff and explain how the new "rules" are working ?

Don’t hold your breath. It is only starting and it will have to get a lot worse. Then, this is my prediction, the rule will abolished. Much easier than trying to get a uniform interpretation enforced.

--

Maestro

Maybe a bit off topic, but always beware what the immigration officer does to your passport. Last time we entered Thailand, he stamped my 2-entry tourist visa as USED while I had a re-entry permit valid under the first entry of the TR.

My wife, who has a multiple-entry visa till August, got a stamp that said she could stay till June.

In the first case, the officer overlooked my re-entry permit and in the second he accidentally selected a wrong month on the stamp. When I told him about the mistakes, there was a big smile and lots of 'sorry sir, sorry madame' but still, I found it rather unprofessional.

Always check your passport before walking away.

Don’t hold your breath. It is only starting and it will have to get a lot worse. Then, this is my prediction, the rule will abolished. Much easier than trying to get a uniform interpretation enforced.

--

Maestro

or they well might scrub the 30 day permit to enter. Visa's for all. :o

Was "Non-O" written in the visa type section at the top of all your previous entry stamps you used when entering on your old Non-O?

Surely they should of seen this and seen your expired visa and figured out that any entry in the past during the life of your old visa would of been a Non-O visa entry rather than a visa exempt entry....................

It's dissapointing to read this and this just confirms how stupid some of the immigration people are. I can understaiding them spending time adding up days if you have a lot of visa exempt stamps, but to confuse a entry stamp with the word "Non-O" written at the top to a visa exempt entery, they clearly don't know the law, they are plain stupid or they just wanted to gain face by wasting your time and trying to make you loose face (in the end they made themself loose face by showing how stupid themselves and the other senior officers there were)

Was "Non-O" written in the visa type section at the top of all your previous entry stamps you used when entering on your old Non-O?

Surely they should of seen this and seen your expired visa and figured out that any entry in the past during the life of your old visa would of been a Non-O visa entry rather than a visa exempt entry....................

Yep, all are appropriately marked (just checked) and the original lady spotted the expired visa so the application of a brain cell or two should have lead her to the correct conclusion.

I'll give lady No1 the benefit of the doubt, she was very young and probably had the instruction "if in doubt, ask" which she did. However No2 seemed much more experienced and should simply have told her "no problem".

EDIT Glad I allowed time to cool down before making the OP, would have gotten a 'holiday'. My state of mind wasn't helped by the taxi driver insisting that the 50Baht service charge wasn't included in my fixed fare (I live well out of town, meter is rarely an option from the airport), he just got a smaller tip. All was calmed by my wifey when I got home, tension fully released :o:D

Edited by Crossy

• 3 weeks later...
where are all you guys seeing these so called cute immigration girls?

5555. BKK airport.

Must admit that getting two cute ones at one visit is rare as hen's teeth. Mostly miserable old trouts without a smile in their bodies :o:D