Bad news for University students, fees doubled this year.

BritManToo

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How much is your next term fees?

We've paid 10k and change each time....The invoice we just paid showed at 13.4k, but when our daughter went to pay it they said the billing cycle was closed at 10.4k, so she gave us 3k back.... ????

• Like 2

Let's say you get a degree from CR and go to, say, England or America or Germany (I'm implying a decent school).....do they really accept this as a real degree or will you have to take more classes to get the appropriate certificate?

i've heard a degree from the Philippines is like 1 year in America, but i'm not sure so i'm asking...

13 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

go to, say, England or America or Germany

England accepts anything, they think they got you covered with cameras everywhere.

Germany accepts nothing, wt of course, they are Germans.

America is like Chiang Mai Immigration or your wife, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Edited by Dante99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth, and if you're up for a bit of reading, this link on Wikipedia gives a lot of information on the Thai education system.  I was hoping for comparisons between Thai institutions and those in the West, but that particular data isn't shown.  Nonetheless, there's some interesting stuff summarized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

image.png.1b75de9cfbacaae560b2189efb7dcbc6.png

Reader's opinion from Bangkok Post, recently.

I'm no expert but the opinion stated seems to fit the case.

That blurb would cover most civilized & less civilized nations on the planet.....

Whether we want to admit to that, or not.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elektrified said:

I'm not sure what those fees are based on, but my brother in law has spent more than 600,000 Baht so far to get his Masters Degree from CMU and he estimates that it will cost him well over 700,000 once he completes his Ph.D.

that's  about the same level of fees for a western university, at least in the UK. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm told by a selection of locals that the current government has decided to invest less money in education, and so all the fees need to go up.

The real reason is quite different.
Most of the teachers have a farm or a shop.
As this year is very likely to bring nothing back, they must therefore find another way to continue to live with dignity;
that is to say very above their average real.
it will therefore be on the backs of students and their families. :crying:

That's quite a hike. Reminds me of my last year at Portland State (Oregon) in 1986.  Tuition for a whole year was $1,500 and grants for all students were easy to get.  The very next year, tuition tripled due to Reagan's cuts to the education budget.  Had to get that star wars program funded.  

1 hour ago, seajae said:

luckily the local govt hospital is sponsoring our daughters degree to be a doctor, will have to wait and see if this effects us at all

How many years does she owe them when she finishes?

I ran into someone (Thai) who did an overseas program in USA.  100% funded by the Thai gov't.  But then he must work for the gov't for twice the length of the schooling.   So a 4 year program required 8 years "payback"

21 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

You are of alone.  OP seems to have posted incorrect information.

Yeah and just called my wife. she knows nothing about it either. Honestly they could never raise fees like that to Thai people as Thai people are not made out of baht. So has to be bad information or they only upped a special program and all else is the same.