Bailing Out / Jumpin Ship

Gonzo the Face

12 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

I read ThaiVisa for the same reason you do...if you do not like ex-expats posting here...stop coming here to complain about it.

I was trying to give just my opinion which is if I was fed up with all the hassle here and decided to live elsewhere I would go, I would let a few know why but would find no reason to tell hundreds of folk I have never nor will ever meet.  Oh if I could afford to go back to England to live as being fed up with LoS.  I doubt I would ever look at Thai visa again. Each to his own eh.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

So why read Thai Visa ?  I left England and have made my home here , my 400,000 B is in the bank . I don't read any , not one English newspaper , I don't need to know how cold it is , how much more a ticket costs to get into the city . Why are so many complaining on here today ?

Because they brought in the horrible insurance which covers not much of anything, and is not available to folks like me 75 and up. That is one big reason people are complaining. And don’t say anything has changed.....in the last five years no embassy letter, many immigration won’t accept monthly payments into bank account, stupid TM30, and assorted immigration officeS making up their own rules to the detriment of farang, and also the airport immigration. Okay, I’m finished now.

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's been a succession of mounting things....

--the end of income affidavits for US and UK residents, two of the largest western expat groups here.

--the resulting and pretty arbitrary and unfriendly rules Immigration adopted as a replacement governing monthly foreign bank transfers, the transfers having to be coded just so, not accepting deposit averaging over the year, and coming at a time when BKKB U.S. was curtailing their easy international transfers method.

--Along with, the increased requirements for holding time on people using the bank deposits method for extensions, including the new requirement that at least 400K of a retirement extension's 800K bank deposit must be kept untouched yearround, and the full amount must be kept untouched 5-6 months of the year.

--followed by the latest and VERY poorly thought thru health insurance requirement for current and past O-A visa holders -- which pretty much doesn't allow for home country insurance even when it provides full coverage in Thailand, and a companion Thai insurance industry market that simply won't write affordable policies, or any policies, as people get older -- which pretty much defeats the purpose of having an O-A RETIREMENT visa program.

So after all that, a lot of folks are looking down the road and saying what's going to be next?

Anxiety of what's next is the over arching issue IMO. This post nails the issue succinctly. 

5 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

I dine at mainly 2 places with a 3rd occasionally.

At the 2 regular places, I know the owners well, I have been told that one has lost 15 regular customers and the other estimates 12.

Now these are married men with frang wives so that's 54 gone and most have stated Visa problems. The place I use say twice a week just says numbers of frangs are down.

Thai Immigration matters have been badly handled by the authorities.

A proper Full Statement of intentions would have not have caused so many folk to leave.

Thailand s lost id someone else's gain, most where pensioners brining in regular foreign exchange to Thai Economy.

john

"A proper Full Statement of intentions would have not have caused so many folk to leave".

They gave one, in the Cabinet minutes, they charged the Immigration Dept to modify the visa regulations concerning ALL visitors to Thailand and expats, to ensure the Ministry of Health didn't suffer further losses from unpaid hospital bills (not an exact quote but the intent is 100% the same). I was gobsmacked that was written down and even more so that it was made public. The initial intent was to levy an insurance charge on all incoming tourists but that was postponed for fear of scaring tourists away at a time when the numbers were falling. The fall back plan was to enforce health insurance on O-A visa retirees, that's stage I of the process.

As for the rest of the tightening, what statement of intent would you like, perhaps that we're now going to enforce the law!

After 13 years I to want to move on my problem is that first I have to get a buyer for my beach front property so I am giving myself two more years otherwise I will hand it over to a rental management company . Sadly I have fallen out of love with Thailand to many regulations for my liking . ☹️

16 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

So why read Thai Visa ?  I left England and have made my home here , my 400,000 B is in the bank . I don't read any , not one English newspaper , I don't need to know how cold it is , how much more a ticket costs to get into the city . Why are so many complaining on here today ?

Why do you post on Thai Visa if you object to hearing opinions that don't concur with your own.

Just now, saengd said:

The fall back plan was to enforce health insurance on O-A visa retirees, that's stage I of the process.

I'm still not sure the Minister/his advisors didn't know their visas* and meant anybody on a retirement extension - maybe asked which was the "retirement visa" and got told "OA"

*don't forget there is a whole website (TV) and a FB page to help people understand the various visas and requirements.

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

After 13 years I to want to move on my problem is that first I have to get a buyer for my beach front property so I am giving myself two more years otherwise I will hand it over to a rental management company . Sadly I have fallen out of love with Thailand to many regulations for my liking . ☹️

Got some information on your beach front property? You're a poor salesman. 

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Perhaps this should be posted in the thread about buying property in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

bye bye

Every time I read these kinds of smart alecky comments in threads on Thai Immigration tightening the screws, I can't help but thinking about the German clergyman Martin Niemoller's famous and oft repeated words...

"First they came for ... and I did not speak out.

(several refrains omitted for brevity)

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."

12 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Where the air is clean?.? Dannyi strongly suggest you brush up on your English skills and read the countless threads and news on the terrible air quality in pattaya.

enjoy enjoy danny BOY

image.png

I'm in Pattaya right now with my balcony door open to the elements and the air is as clear as crystal.

And this is at 11.22 am on 22.12.19 bang in the middle of high season when the town is at its busiest and the traffic at its heaviest.

The visibility is 16 kms, there's no wind and 15% cloud cover. A typical day's weather in Pattaya.

I was at Immigration mid week and the discussion among those of us waiting to do retirement extensions was just what were the options for our futures.For the guys that were single or in a de facto relationships with Thai ladies and renting obviously the options are much clearer.

However having spent some time, living and working, in neighbouring countries be careful for what you wish for.The Philippines for example where I spent 6 months working is a lawless country with a demented leader, rampant corruption,far worse than here,extreme poverty and unless you live close to Manila quality health care is not easily available. Vietnam is booming with Chinese visitation a driving force as its geographically so close but becoming increasingly expensive. Medical care is also well below what we enjoy in CM.

For those of us at an advanced age, ie late 70's, have Thai wives and living in our own house the though of uprooting  and moving is complicated.

After 17 years here I an seriously disappointed in the way Thailand has developed and its attitude to semi permanent expats and to even its own people.

Last week Thais on the basic wage were given a massive increase by the ruling class of 5 -7 baht a day.

CM has changed in a manner many of us could have imagined but it seems many of us have no logical choice but to hang in 

As for the rest of the tightening, what statement of intent would you like, perhaps that we're now going to enforce the law!

I personally have no problems, A Elite visa as last resort is not a problem for me, many folk that I know have had and have left.

I have never seen an English language statement on all relevant immigration matters and maintain most Frangs are not so informed.

john

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Every time I read these kinds of smart alecky comments in threads on Thai Immigration tightening the screws, I can't help but thinking about the German clergyman Martin Niemoller's famous and oft repeated words...

I imagine many who sat there snickering as they typed "just get the proper visa" from the supposed safety of their retirement extension are on the way out.

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

Since the government has never provided any realistic figures on numbers of "long stay" type of visas that are issued there is no way to answer the OP original question on whether or not many are "bailing"

Unfortunately we are stuck with only anecdotal information

So everyone has to make their own decision on whether or not it is worth the effort to stay in a country that has proved over and over again that expats are not wanted, only short time tourists  

They do actually,

The retirement visa extensions are going up each year from europe and the US, i think to remember Norway was the only country that was down in actual numbers.

I have lived here for 10 years (Mostly in CM)... Have transitioned from Affidavit to 800k in bank no problem... But at almost 60yo the looming insurance retirements looks to me as an actuarial time bomb making it impossible to live here long term... So next fall I will also make a controlled departure...

My BF will move home to the weekend house we built and I will have to layoff the maid & gardeners and tell my favorite waitress at Dukes a sad goodbye... And my landlord may be able to turn the house into an AirBnB...

12 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

That's really just their own arrogance.

You can't demand to go to a random country and live there forever without proofing you have the means to do so. That doesn't fly anywhere in the more or less civilized world.

Yeah the paperwork is annoying but it's really only a few hours of work per day.

How serious of an expat can one be if that's too much?

"You can't demand to go to a random country and live there forever without proofing you have the means to do so."

What about the UK!

Just now, yogi100 said:

"You can't demand to go to a random country and live there forever without proofing you have the means to do so."

What about the UK!

I think it depends on nationality and desirability to politicians. In all the time I have been here it has been quite a process to get a Thai lady to the UK, yet it seems hundreds of thousands (literally) of women from the hinterlands of Pakistan can get entry seemingly without problem.

11 hours ago, sirineou said:

People spend hours complaining about the time and inconvenience if filing for an extension .

If you don't have $27,000 to spare you are not ready to retire and should continue working.

IMO to retire one needs at least $250k in assets and a pension or other income .

Be real, Few people are ever gonna have the equivalent of $250k in assets and a pension or other income when they retire.

Love the Philippines

If you ...

are broke

a smoker

a heavy drinker

an introvert

never liked Thai food

like fast food

always found the women here a challenge

never took to Thai language and culture

don't mind shopping and dining in cages

don't mind illiterate people with guns

don't mind a largely illiterate population

The visa and extensions are easy but expensive.

Setting up a flat will be a challenge. Not getting it broken into more still.

Internet unless changed was difficult for farang on phones, in home.

Blackmail, extortion run by girls, boyfriend's, cops, all together.

TV rails against the fragile Thai male ego. Wait till you get there.

Natl beer is absolute <deleted>.

The girls are completely vapid.

The populace has no roots, culture.

Food is absolutely ghastly.

Women are cute between 16-21 or first child. Whichever comes first.

Women are far more friendly but it's borne out of desperation.

The economy is <deleted>. The entire nation lives in poverty or half rung above.

Unless in province it's just as polluted.

Knives everywhere.

Enjoy

Apologies folks but a few hundred thousand Farangs living in thailand compared to some 39 million tourists (and growing each year) is a drop in the ocean.

According to figures in the 2019 Thailand Migration Report(reference) there are just 150,707 expats residing in Thailand, of those 72,969 are retirees.Jul 28, 2019

Thailand set to welcome 39 million ‘tourists’ (reference).

So our social and financial contribution (myself included) is a drop in the ocean compared to the 2019 tourist generated  2.16-2.20 trillion Baht! forecast (reference). 

We all may think we are an important asset to the Thai society and it's economy but we are not and just a pain in the backside for Thai Immigration to deal with. 

So IMHO suck it up, like it or lump it, no whining about it on TV is going to change anything in Thailand that we have any control over; except vacating the place!

As an Aussie like many of you I am finding it financially more difficult each year and more bureaucratic each year to live in Thailand.  

But when the time comes and the pendulum has swung to far to the negative side for me, I will just vacate Thailand quietly with my tail between my legs. 

Merry christmas and a Happy New Year to all TV readers (whatever country you are living in or plan to live in)!

God Bless

9 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Be real, Few people are ever gonna have the equivalent of $250k in assets and a pension or other income when they retire.

I think you need to rethink that one, my take is the exact opposite, few people wont have those things!

3 minutes ago, berrec said:

Apologies folks but a few hundred thousand Farangs living in thailand compared to some 39 million tourists (and growing each year) is a drop in the ocean.

According to figures in the 2019 Thailand Migration Report(reference) there are just 150,707 expats residing in Thailand, of those 72,969 are retirees.Jul 28, 2019

Thailand set to welcome 39 million ‘tourists’ (reference).

So our social and financial contribution (myself included) is a drop in the ocean compared to the 2019 tourist generated  2.16-2.20 trillion Baht! forecast (reference). 

We all may think we are an important asset to the Thai society and it's economy but we are not and just a pain in the backside for Thai Immigration to deal with. 

So IMHO suck it up, like it or lump it, no whining about it on TV is going to change anything in Thailand that we have any control over; except vacating the place!

As an Aussie like many of you I am finding it financially more difficult each year and more bureaucratic each year to live in Thailand.  

But when the time comes and the pendulum has swung to far to the negative side for me, I will just vacate Thailand quietly with my tail between my legs. 

Merry christmas and a Happy New Year to all TV readers (whatever country you are living in or plan to live in)!

God Bless

You also need to rethink that:

Archived