Gonzo the Face

3 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Malaysia is probably the best option. 

- low cost of living 

- fairly high standard of living

- good infrastructure 

- good medical facilities 

- best local food with good options for international food

- good pubs/bars for hanging out (not for pure sex tourists though)

- good air connections 

- hassle free immigration

- able to own property 

- educated workforce 

- lots of English speakers 

It is a mute point for me as I now have a Thai wife - and never regretted it except for the dumbass Thais running the country and the wealthy exploiting it.  But having said that - if I had the money back before I chose Thailand,  I would have retired to Singapore - and from there I would have travelled to and enjoyed all SEAsia has to offer.  Plus I would have kept a place back home in Aust for visits and the 'end game' (near very good medical services).

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

It is a mute point for me as I now have a Thai wife - and never regretted it except for the dumbass Thais running the country and the wealthy exploiting it.  But having said that - if I had the money back before I chose Thailand,  I would have retired to Singapore - and from there I would have travelled to and enjoyed all SEAsia has to offer.  Plus I would have kept a place back home in Aust for visits and the 'end game' (near very good medical services).

I've very recently (as in 3 weeks ago) retired after spending the past 12 years working in Singapore, haven't quite fully left there yet as I need to go back to exit my condo/cancel Singtel, work out what to do with my bank account etc.. but I've formally exited the country after Tax clearance...

My friends asked me if I regret not getting PR during my time there so I could stay there after retirement & my answer is simply "No".... As much as I love the country (it is an awesome place to live & it's very easy to see why Changi Airport gets voted Best Airport in the world on a regular basis), I could never live there unless I was working & if I was working the company I would work for would get me an EP (Employment Pass).

It is funny how I could imagine myself (dream of) retiring to Australia & spending a few years exploring your country, but for you guys who are from there, it's all a bit "Blah" & you're off to explore other countries ???? 

On 12/22/2019 at 8:45 AM, Thaidream said:

There is no doubt that expats are leaving in droves and tourists are avoiding Thailand.

I first came to Thailand in 1971 and was married to my Thai wife  in 1975 in Bangkok. Our honeymon was in Pattaya- abeautiful pristine beach with only 1 Western hotel and  a perfect resort atmosphere.  No nightime entertainment as today and no  scams.

Ever since Thailand started a massive tourist industry- the levels of degradation of the country have become evident. Massive overbuilding without the proper supporting  infrastructure has turned places like Pattaya; Ko Samui; Phuket and  Chiang Mai into places that arefast becoming uninhabiable.

The last 5 years is what has really killed  the Goose.   The change in immigration requirements forcing  retired people to keep large amounts tied up in Thai Banks instread of in their own countries; then the insurance requirements;  reports of surly Immigration Officers throwing passports back at people; telling them they are not welcome in Thailand have spread through social media.

In the past, most expats put up with the double pricing; the various scams; pollution; high taxes on imported goods; filthy beach water and rising prices due to currency shifts.

When one throws in the Immigration issues with the poor living conditions and cost- the totality of it all is what is telling expats and tourists- that Thailand is not a good place to retire or visit.  There is plenty of choice with a warmer welcome.

However, the average Thai person is still welcoming; still has a genuine smile and knows nothing of the Governmental nonsense directed at foreigners.  Most are just trying to live day by day. 

However, even the average Thai knows something is wrong in their society . They breathe the same air we do; they are subject to the same intrusive Government; declining levels of education and much more. This will eventually come to a head .

Thailand is nowhere near what it was when I first came in 1971.  The economic results of so called progress has mostly gone to the elites and the wealthy who have done little  for their own citizens and virtually nothing for long stayers.

There are literally tens of thousands of Thai people  being supported  through  expats residing in Thailand and  foreigners married to Thai citizens in which step children get educated;  mom and dad  get support to keep them whole and other assorted relatives  benefit.  I don't expect a thank you but I also don't expect a sneer  when I enter Thailand from the IO.

As someone who has been married to a Thai citizen for over 40 years- I am still regarded as a temporary visitor to Thailand' I cannot purchase land; I cannot  get the equivalent of what my wife has in the US with automatic perrmanent residency after 2 years of marriage.  I cannot  pay into the Thai medical system .  There is absolutely no reciprocity.

To be quite frank; if I did not have significant holdings in Thailand and a daughter in University ; I would consider leaving- a thought that has never entered my mind  until the last few years. 

Thailand is now facing  the fact that it is not a prime country for retirement and in the process of losing it's attraction as a tourist paradise.  Even the Chinese have found greener pastures and the  foreign expat community mwill continue to decline unless something positive  happens showing the community that Thailand really wants them.

Since it is the end of the year- I am hopeful something positive will happen in 2020.

That was a good piece. However I and others did warn you and others about the junta you were extolling from 2014 on. What did you think was going to happen?

Still, there is no use crying over spilt milk, I suppose. Many people are now in an increasingly tough spot and I do wish friends and enemies alike, well, especially the older folk. Look after yourselves and others.

6 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I've very recently (as in 3 weeks ago) retired after spending the past 12 years working in Singapore, haven't quite fully left there yet as I need to go back to exit my condo/cancel Singtel, work out what to do with my bank account etc.. but I've formally exited the country after Tax clearance...

My friends asked me if I regret not getting PR during my time there so I could stay there after retirement & my answer is simply "No".... As much as I love the country (it is an awesome place to live & it's very easy to see why Changi Airport gets voted Best Airport in the world on a regular basis), I could never live there unless I was working & if I was working the company I would work for would get me an EP (Employment Pass).

It is funny how I could imagine myself (dream of) retiring to Australia & spending a few years exploring your country, but for you guys who are from there, it's all a bit "Blah" & you're off to explore other countries ???? 

I hear you -Singapore is expensive that is for sure.  Visited twice - and it felt like I was in Japan for costs except not as friendly.

Australia is great for many things - but the 'controlled' and 'ignorant' way of life there is too oppressing for me to live there full-time while I can stil get around.  Great medical system (free) and many great places to visit - but like New York, it is great to visit but you couldn't live there well unless wealthy. 

3 hours ago, baboon said:

That was a good piece. However I and others did warn you and others about the junta you were extolling from 2014 on. What did you think was going to happen?

Still, there is no use crying over spilt milk, I suppose. Many people are now in an increasingly tough spot and I do wish friends and enemies alike, well, especially the older folk. Look after yourselves and others.

Fair points - and I was also one that said the Junta was good (for corruption). But while they have clamped down on things that needed doing - I was very wrong overall and especially about how they have managed things for Tourists and Expats.  

23 hours ago, madmen said:

You've been talking about this fantasy for years but you already live in a farm house in Thailand .Cost of living will be a shock

What's holding him back?... His options for anything other than a self induced happy ending are slim to nil there... :coffee1:

21 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Australia is great for many things - but the 'controlled' and 'ignorant' way of life there is too oppressing for me to live there full-time while I can stil get around.  Great medical system (free) and many great places to visit - but like New York, it is great to visit but you couldn't live there well unless wealthy. 

'Controlled and ignorant'?

I can say what I like without fear of imprisonment. I do not have to constantly report my whereabouts to the government. I am not constantly being scammed or being asked to pay double for anything. I am surrounded by well educated people who speak my language and are polite and friendly. Prices in my local supermarket are somewhat less than in Bangkok and the food is fresh, not half rotten.

But most importantly for me, I am watching my Thai partner finally begin to grow and achieve her goals in life.

On 12/21/2019 at 11:01 PM, abrahamzvi said:

Allow me to correct your statement regarding the insurance requirements of O-A Visa holders. Overseas insurance is fully accepted provided a confirmation on the forms produced by the Thai authorities is submitted. This is an accepted manner for most countries. Try to obtain a visa, as a Thai or any other nationality requiring a visa to the Schengen states without confirmation on issued forms of the existence of a valid medical aid cover and see. Why should Thailand not be entitled to adopt similar regulations?

But how many of those other places use forms that have requirements that make it virtually impossible to get foreign insurance carriers to sign them? Your chances of getting 2 directors and some "authorized signature" on the form that Thailand uses is very close to if not actually zero?

David

On 12/22/2019 at 3:43 AM, Bill97 said:

If I were an immigration officer I would question that.

I wonder what they would say about my insurance then. My policy is essentially unlimited IPD and OPD coverage and does not expire until I do. ????

David

On 12/22/2019 at 7:46 PM, digibum said:

Live even longer if you switch to a plant based sex regimen.  ????

My doctor told me I needed to give up smoking, drinking, and sex. I asked if that would make me live longer. No he said. It will only make it seem longer. ????

David

10 hours ago, mngmn said:

'Controlled and ignorant'?

I can say what I like without fear of imprisonment. I do not have to constantly report my whereabouts to the government. I am not constantly being scammed or being asked to pay double for anything. I am surrounded by well educated people who speak my language and are polite and friendly. Prices in my local supermarket are somewhat less than in Bangkok and the food is fresh, not half rotten.

But most importantly for me, I am watching my Thai partner finally begin to grow and achieve her goals in life.

Great to hear your Thai wife is 'growing'. But dont go +2 Kms over the speed limit, dont say anything racist, dont deny anyone is aboriginal even if they are clearly not, dont say anything bad about any minority group (hate speech laws), dont forget all the speeding cameras are everywhere, dont go into certain suburbs especially at night (if you wrong race/religion), dont complain about the local Mosque blasting all 'call to prayers' all hours of the day, dont have a pcoket knife in your pcoket, dont have a slingshot either, when you hire someone make sure you have their Super, Insurance, Compensation, etc etc etc covered and the 10 min licences to have a business, when you emply someone make sure you take total respoopnsibility for their health and welfare - they can do anything stupid but it is your fault, and you have to pay them a minimum of $740 a week ($40K PA), plus holiday loading and plus 25% if they are casual, and dont forget to pay all the taxes (one of the highest net tax in world - net means including rates etc), and make heaps of money yourself because everything is so damn expensive and going up heaps every year - Sudney is more expensive to live than London or New York https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/mar/15/sydney-more-expensive-to-live-in-than-london-and-new-york-study-finds

I could go on a lot more - but let me get to ignorant.  Where do I begin - Bogans?  No - too easy and obvious.  Let me quote an American presenter:  Australia is the Alabama backwaters of the World.  And this too:   https://www.afr.com/policy/economy/australia-is-rich-dumb-and-getting-dumber-20191007-p52y8i  

Mate - there are a lot of fine people in Australia - but they are as dumb (on average) as thick bricks.

Over-educated idiots abound in a country that still hasnt diversified itself from a colonial outpost.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:46 PM, BestB said:

Yes, that part of life is easier, what about everything else? Example medical? 

Cheap and short flight back to Thailand for any major medical issues and since tourists don’t require insurance you can just skip out and let the expats here take the heat. 

On 1/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, 5633572526 said:

Cheap and short flight back to Thailand for any major medical issues and since tourists don’t require insurance you can just skip out and let the expats here take the heat. 

.....as they say in the South (USA)..... sounds dang near white of you.

On 12/31/2019 at 6:12 PM, AussieBob18 said:

Great to hear your Thai wife is 'growing'. But dont go +2 Kms over the speed limit, dont say anything racist, dont deny anyone is aboriginal even if they are clearly not, dont say anything bad about any minority group (hate speech laws), dont forget all the speeding cameras are everywhere, dont go into certain suburbs especially at night (if you wrong race/religion), dont complain about the local Mosque blasting all 'call to prayers' all hours of the day, dont have a pcoket knife in your pcoket, dont have a slingshot either, when you hire someone make sure you have their Super, Insurance, Compensation, etc etc etc covered and the 10 min licences to have a business, when you emply someone make sure you take total respoopnsibility for their health and welfare - they can do anything stupid but it is your fault, and you have to pay them a minimum of $740 a week ($40K PA), plus holiday loading and plus 25% if they are casual, and dont forget to pay all the taxes (one of the highest net tax in world - net means including rates etc), and make heaps of money yourself because everything is so damn expensive and going up heaps every year - Sudney is more expensive to live than London or New York https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/mar/15/sydney-more-expensive-to-live-in-than-london-and-new-york-study-finds

I could go on a lot more - but let me get to ignorant.  Where do I begin - Bogans?  No - too easy and obvious.  Let me quote an American presenter:  Australia is the Alabama backwaters of the World.  And this too:   https://www.afr.com/policy/economy/australia-is-rich-dumb-and-getting-dumber-20191007-p52y8i  

Mate - there are a lot of fine people in Australia - but they are as dumb (on average) as thick bricks.

Over-educated idiots abound in a country that still hasnt diversified itself from a colonial outpost.

Please stay in Thailand.

8 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Please wake up one day.

Wow you obviously like to have the last say! All I was asking is that you just stay where you are Australia is a much better place without your 'type' even when we are asleep.

Archived