Online purchases with Thai bank Debit Card.

I've generally used a UK credit card for larger transactions in Thailand (primarily air fares).  My UK credit card is Barclaycard.  A requirement of having such a card is that you must have a UK address to keep the card.  Therefore I've kept using my mothers UK address which is where I lived years ago whilst resident in the UK. 

I have two other Debit accounts with Nationwide and NatWest who have no problem in accepting an overseas address for online banking.  As a backup option, I have Thai bank Debit cards to use if necessary.  I went through the registration process and the banks have confirmed that I can use these Debit cards "for online purchases of goods and services" etc.  All very well, but having used my Barclaycard and UK Debit cards many times for airline tickets and goods from EBay, Amazon etc.

I have a problem. Obviously every bank wants to confirm details on line before the purchase is confirmed.  My question relates to these details.  If I use my Barclaycard or a UK Debit card, it's not a problem to fill in the question relating to "name of account holder".  If using a Thai Bank Debit card, I find that when asked to enter "name as it is shown on the card", I can't, as it doesn't have my name - merely "Privileged Member" shown on the card.  How do I get round this?  I know I can get round this by using  UK debit Cards, but the question remains - how can I use a Thai debit card for buying anything, without my name on it? 

Just put your name, it will work.

If there's no name on the actual card then I don't think it matters what you put there but it's always worked for me when I just enter my name anyway.

My card is the same as yours - it has no name and I've used it for all sorts of stuff around the world but not for flights.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jees dude, because it doesn't show your name on the card, doesn't mean it is not in your name. LOL.
Obviously, the card is linked to your full name / legal name, if it is yours.

P.S. On your keyboard is a space bar to create space between sentences in a story.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The card you want is not a pure debit card ... what you want is a card that performs like a credit card in terms of acceptance by airlines, hotels ... etc.

These are essentially "Enhanced Debit" cards ... the merchants see them as credit cards ... which ... technically ... they are not.

I got mine through Krungsri, and paid a very small fee, and maintain a minimum "top up" of 36,000 THB.  When we holiday, I pump that up a bit.  The cards also accrue points, which I have redeemed for some very nice kitchen appliances.

By the way, I sincerely doubt the "Thai Visa Experts" here have ever tried to do an airline reservation with a debit card that says "Privileged Member" ... so give it a try ... but if/when it does not work, go to your bank and get the "Does all the things a credit card does" ... but has to be topped up .. card.  Life gets really easy with these ... even when overseas.

This card is accepted by Hotels, Airlines, Skype, GoDaddy, True, AIS, The Electric Company ... and on and on and on ... because ... it does anything a credit card can do, as long as the funds on hand equal or exceed the purchase price.

And YES ... it has YOUR NAME on it ... interestingly ... it also has raised numbers and letters ... not a flat card, like a debit card.

Edited by Guest
More Information

The ATM Cards that just have "Privileged Member" on them are used to allow issue and registration in your name by the local branch when you open a new account or replace a lost card. It saves the expense and complication, and relying on the Thai postal system,  of secure issue by the Bank Head Office as is done in Western banks.

• Thanks 1

I have the same an SCB Debit card no name on it. So online purchases I put my name & other info off the card. They require usually a OTP put that in & you are done. Simple with SCB I don't know which card that you have if it is not SCB whether it will work the same. Hope this helps...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bangkokequity said:

The card you want is not a pure debit card ... what you want is a card that performs like a credit card in terms of acceptance by airlines, hotels ... etc.

These are essentially "Enhanced Debit" cards ... the merchants see them as credit cards ... which ... technically ... they are not.

I got mine through Krungsri, and paid a very small fee, and maintain a minimum "top up" of 36,000 THB.  When we holiday, I pump that up a bit.  The cards also accrue points, which I have redeemed for some very nice kitchen appliances.

By the way, I sincerely doubt the "Thai Visa Experts" here have ever tried to do an airline reservation with a debit card that says "Privileged Member" ... so give it a try ... but if/when it does not work, go to your bank and get the "Does all the things a credit card does" ... but has to be topped up .. card.  Life gets really easy with these ... even when overseas.

This card is accepted by Hotels, Airlines, Skype, GoDaddy, True, AIS, The Electric Company ... and on and on and on ... because ... it does anything a credit card can do, as long as the funds on hand equal or exceed the purchase price.

And YES ... it has YOUR NAME on it ... interestingly ... it also has raised numbers and letters ... not a flat card, like a debit card.

Can you provide the name of this card you describe? 

• Thanks 1

The cardholder name isn't used for payment authorisation, so you could technically put anything in there. I've only seen it be used by merchants as a very basic form of fraud screening and in the case of evidence for chargebacks.

However if I were a merchant and saw an order come through with the name "Privileged Member" I'd probably cancel it.

Edit: as the other users said, just put your full name in there. Initial doesn't really matter.

Edited by tom in bangkok
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

You can use a Debit Card from a thai bank online and buy anything you want,including an airline ticket. It doesn't matter if your name isn't on the card. The cards connected to TPN, Thai Payment Network are an exception. Stay away from those if possible. I have a Visa Debit Card from Kasikorn Bank, and it works EVERYWHERE. Online it works exactly like a Credit Card. It's not connected to TPN. K-Banks cards uses OTP, One Time Password. It's sent via SMS to your registered phone number and makes the transaction secure.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

The cardholder name isn't used for payment authorisation, so you could technically put anything in there. I've only seen it be used by merchants as a very basic form of fraud screening and in the case of evidence for chargebacks.

However if I were a merchant and saw an order come through with the name "Privileged Member" I'd probably cancel it.

Edit: as the other users said, just put your full name in there. Initial doesn't really matter.

My full name (3 first names + last name from the passport) is registered at my bank. But I only use one first name + last name when buying stuff online using my K-Bank Visa Debit Card. If you connect your cards to Google Pay in your phone you only have to fill in the CVV-code when doing purchases online. Visa uses a security check called 'Verified by Visa' for purchases online. It means Visa does a very fast card check. It checks the card number, the CVV-code and expiration date. If everything matches,the purchase will be approved. Mastercard uses 'MasterCard SecureCode' to authenticate their debit cards. The only problem imo with some thai debit cards are purchases in stores. You can buy stuff without entering the pin code. I once asked customer service at my Bangkok Bank branch why they accepted that, she just shrugged and smiled. So,if losing the card, cancel it immediately. Online and in ATM's it's secure. AND, stay away from debit cards connected to TPN, Thai Payment Network. They don't work 100% online. The store/company server must be physically located in Thailand. If not,the authentication won't work. That's the case with Bangkok Banks new Be1st Smart TPN MasterCard. It does not work everywhere. From January 1 2020 that's the only debit card Bangkok Bank will issue. All their Visa debit cards will expire in one week. People will start complaining and customer services all a around the country won't have a clue what's going on. It will be real interesting how Bangkok Bank will handle it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1