Merry Christmas what plans do you have?

ChipButty

On 12/23/2019 at 2:53 PM, Jip99 said:

Red wine from the fridge............ says everything about wine drinking in Thailand.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:59 PM, colinneil said:

Many years ago i was in Bangkok with my ex, we were staying in the++++Mark hotel, at dinner i asked for a bottle of red, and the plonker brought it in an ice bucket full of ice.

I refused it, nobody could understand what was wrong, bloody re wine in ice.!!!

Well guys, sorry to have to rain on your parade, but there is no problem with putting red wine in a chiller of some description before wanting to drink it.

After all the optimum temperature for drinking red wine is about 20 to 22° C, but if wine is left to the elements here, it could easily reach 28 to 30° C, and that does not show up the best aspects of red wine.

So I and a few folks I know have our own wine coolers and that's where our red and white wine is stored (nothing wrong with putting it in the fridge if that's all you've got) and it is taken out about half to 1 hour before drinking, cork removed and drunk with gusto (unfortunately).

Not only that, if one is trying to keep some red wine for a special occasion and it is left to the elements here (high temperatures in areas like the kitchen et cetera) then heat can age the wine prematurely as well as put pressure on the cork to start leaking, which can mean the wine can go "off".

In fact tonight I will be going out to catch up with friends and I have a lovely bottle of Italian wine which is now sitting in the chiller and once I've taken it out and arrived at the restaurant, it will be about the right temperature for drinking.

There is an old trick with red wine if you want to know it........chilling a poor quality red wine and drinking it almost straight from the chiller will hide a lot of its faults!

Tonight it will be an Italian meal with friends at my usual restaurant, followed by a little raucous behaviour and drinking I would expect, and tomorrow night it will be a full Christmas dinner with some other friends, so my social calendar is full and I expect my scales will be groaning under the increased weight! WILL go on that diet on Jan 1st...........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2019 at 5:59 PM, colinneil said:

Agree with you, wine drinking here is a joke.

Many years ago i was in Bangkok with my ex, we were staying in the++++Mark hotel, at dinner i asked for a bottle of red, and the plonker brought it in an ice bucket full of ice.

I refused it, nobody could understand what was wrong, bloody re wine in ice.!!!

17-19 degrees I believe for red wine. AKA room temperature in Northern Europe. Seems the plonker may have known more than you about wine!! Anyhoo enjoy your red tomorrow at 34 deg C.!!

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well guys, sorry to have to rain on your parade, but there is no problem with putting red wine in a chiller of some description before wanting to drink it.

After all the optimum temperature for drinking red wine is about 20 to 22° C, but if wine is left to the elements here, it could easily reach 28 to 30° C, and that does not show up the best aspects of red wine.

So I and a few folks I know have our own wine coolers and that's where our red and white wine is stored (nothing wrong with putting it in the fridge if that's all you've got) and it is taken out about half to 1 hour before drinking, cork removed and drunk with gusto (unfortunately).

Not only that, if one is trying to keep some red wine for a special occasion and it is left to the elements here (high temperatures in areas like the kitchen et cetera) then heat can age the wine prematurely as well as put pressure on the cork to start leaking, which can mean the wine can go "off".

In fact tonight I will be going out to catch up with friends and I have a lovely bottle of Italian wine which is now sitting in the chiller and once I've taken it out and arrived at the restaurant, it will be about the right temperature for drinking.

There is an old trick with red wine if you want to know it........chilling a poor quality red wine and drinking it almost straight from the chiller will hide a lot of its faults!

Tonight it will be an Italian meal with friends at my usual restaurant, followed by a little raucous behaviour and drinking I would expect, and tomorrow night it will be a full Christmas dinner with some other friends, so my social calendar is full and I expect my scales will be groaning under the increased weight! WILL go on that diet on Jan 1st...........

Red wine is supposed to be consumed at room temperature; room temperature in major wine producing countries like France or Italy possibly, but certainly not Thailand or South Africa (my home).

I will always put a bottle of red wine in the fridge for a short while, to bring the temperature down to an acceptable level if necessary. When eating out, if red wine is brought to the table and is too warm, then we would drop a block of ice in our glasses to cool it down a little. All perfectly acceptable, and totally unnecessary to make a complaint to someone whose culture does not involve imbibing red wine (or any other wine, in fact).

For those who think they are wine fundi's, unaware that it is not infra dig to bring the temperature of their red wine lower by chilling, in the modern era it is also perfectly acceptable to drink red wine with fish, if that is what floats your boat.

Gone are the days when James Bond was tipped to the identity of a Russian assassin, because the latter ordered red wine with fish ("From Russia with Love")!

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, SteveK said:

Nobody in my village will be doing anything at all for Christmas, myself included. It's one of the things I hated about the west that I wanted to get away from. It's just purely about money.

No its not! ???? 

EMW3ihzX0AAziIX.jpg

8 hours ago, beechbum said:

Strange title for a thread that the majority of comments are people whinging.

Wait for the New Years resolutions.  After Yinn wins POTY the great unwashed will be apoplectic. How dare she!! And a foreigner too!!Double whammy. It will go on longer than Trumps impeachment.

For the humour challenged the above was tongue in cheek. Take the pills and the blood pressure will come down.

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

I am not religious so Christmas has no connotations for me but...I do put up a Christmas tree and give out a few bits & pieces to people I know. The reason for me is that most of the year it's 'this & that' so I take the opportunity to wish people well.

So whatever you do I hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas.

image.png.abbd2cba0772859e96836a5fa1abfdd8.png

Same to you sir

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 3:09 PM, SteveK said:

Nobody in my village will be doing anything at all for Christmas, myself included. It's one of the things I hated about the west that I wanted to get away from. It's just purely about money.

It's not just purely about money at all, that is just your way of trying to justify to yourself your life as a miser and a billy no mates.

31 minutes ago, allanos said:

Red wine is supposed to be consumed at room temperature; room temperature in major wine producing countries like France or Italy possibly, but certainly not Thailand or South Africa (my home).

I will always put a bottle of red wine in the fridge for a short while, to bring the temperature down to an acceptable level if necessary. When eating out, if red wine is brought to the table and is too warm, then we would drop a block of ice in our glasses to cool it down a little. All perfectly acceptable, and totally unnecessary to make a complaint to someone whose culture does not involve imbibing red wine (or any other wine, in fact).

For those who think they are wine fundi's, unaware that it is not infra dig to bring the temperature of their red wine lower by chilling, in the modern era it is also perfectly acceptable to drink red wine with fish, if that is what floats your boat.

Gone are the days when James Bond was tipped to the identity of a Russian assassin, because the latter ordered red wine with fish ("From Russia with Love")!

Hope spidermike isn't reading this!!! he will be heartbroken. 

26 minutes ago, allanos said:

Yes, the days of very strict rules about what you eat to accompany red wine have gone out of the window, however there are a couple of things to remember about this.

In some fish, there is a particular oil which does not combine well with the tannin in red wine and it gives a nasty metallic taste in the mouth and is not very pleasant at all. Can't remember which fish it is now, but I'm sure it will be out there somewhere on the net.

And something to make you smile............at one of Auckland's top restaurants I observed a group of four Russians who obviously had more money than sense, order a bottle of Château Margaux (or it may well have been some other first growth claret) and it was no more than a few years old, and because of this it was still rather tannic and "sour" according to their tastes, so they ordered a couple of bottles of Coke to pour into the glasses as a mix!

I spoke to the owner of the restaurant later on, whom I knew, and he just smiled and said something along the lines of, "you would be surprised at what people do with fine wine when they haven't got a clue".

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Yes, the days of very strict rules about what you eat to accompany red wine have gone out of the window, however there are a couple of things to remember about this.

In some fish, there is a particular oil which does not combine well with the tannin in red wine and it gives a nasty metallic taste in the mouth and is not very pleasant at all. Can't remember which fish it is now, but I'm sure it will be out there somewhere on the net.

And something to make you smile............at one of Auckland's top restaurants I observed a group of four Russians who obviously had more money than sense, order a bottle of Château Margaux (or it may well have been some other first growth claret) and it was no more than a few years old, and because of this it was still rather tannic and "sour" according to their tastes, so they ordered a couple of bottles of Coke to pour into the glasses as a mix!

I spoke to the owner of the restaurant later on, whom I knew, and he just smiled and said something along the lines of, "you would be surprised at what people do with fine wine when they haven't got a clue".

Personally, I, myself, am old school enough in that I prefer a nice dry white wine with fish, although I have drunk red wine with it on occasion.

To have with my Christmas lunch tomorrow, I have put to one side a nice bottle of cab sauv which, the label, tells me, is from New Zealand's oldest winery.  It is a 2017 vintage, a little bit young, but should be very palatable.

A very popular red wine and cola drink is very muc a favourite of the Portuguese who are from Mozambique, which they call "Catemba".

• Like 1

Christmas here in 2.5 hours. Spend the day same as today. Glaring at the scorched at the earth of our property in North Queensland. Flooded to buggery ten months ago, lost a car, now dry as a bone with a fresh batch of juvenile Brown snakes appearing. Gave up fixing the bore pump….too bloody hot for that. That can wait until June. Boxing day kids and grandkids. Then hit the shops for post Christmas sales to burst the already suitcases with cheaper than Thailand clothes for family in Thai. Sunday fly back to Thailand with some very good, very cheap wine. 

Oh and drinking many XXXX cans...cheers!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, xylophone said:

My band was working in a club in Munich in 1984, and we were expected to join guests for drinks in our breaks. Never forget one Chinaman buying a bottle of Remy Martin.....and a litre of Coke. Sacriledge!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

My band was working in a club in Munich in 1984, and we were expected to join guests for drinks in our breaks. Never forget one Chinaman buying a bottle of Remy Martin.....and a litre of Coke. Sacriledge!

I grew up in a working class family......my only memories of wine drinkers were old blokes crashed out in the gutter with a bottle wrapped in brown paper. I do enjoy the odd plonk now and again but those memories keep me grounded about wine snobs.

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yeah, Some Christmas food is a given thing. I usually cook all myself. Every year have about 30-40 people coming eating. Cooking a full Christmas buffet.

It´s a lovely thing I like to do for my friends and their closest family.

I thought you were a cook from your previous posts?

• Like 1