Condo window broke for the second time !

We bought a second hand 8 year old condo on the low season sunny side in Jomtien last year. So far so good - on opening our place a month ago the sliding door on the balcony cracked. On advice from my wife's friend in the block we went to a glass supplier in Thappraya Road who fixed a new sheet in at their premises and fitted it last week with a fair amount of pushing and banging. We then cleaned and oiled the runner and took care when opening and closing. Got back after a week away last night and put the air on. After about 10 minutes we heard what we thought were a couple of bangs one a minute after the other. Didn't think anything off it until we saw this morning that the same thing had happened. 

On installation we asked if there was a higher quality of glass they could fit rather than the bog standard one they said no. So I am guessing that the glass isn't the best and wasn't installed in the best possible manner ? Can anyone shed any light on this and hopefully recommend a glass supplier in the Pattaya/Jomtien area who may be able to help. Many thanks in advance for any help you maybe able to give. 

20191222_091113 (1).jpg

I don't know what the problem is with your glass slider..  I have 3 sliders in my condo, all over 20 years old. No problems. It will be interesting to see what replies you get.

But... a step-ladder kept on your balcony is just asking for trouble!  ????

Only a guess from experience in the trade many years ago, but is it possible there is glass to frame contact, if it is a metal door. When you put the a/c on the metal will contract possible squeezing the glass. Or the door frame is somehow twisted when closed, which puts adverse pressure points on the edge of the glass. Again, only a theory you could pursue. One thing always scares me here though, and that is the glass does not appear to be safety glass, or is it laminated?

good luck with a solution.

3 minutes ago, bobbin said:

I don't know what the problem is with your glass slider..  I have 3 sliders in my condo, all over 20 years old. No problems. It will be interesting to see what replies you get.

But... a step-ladder kept on your balcony is just asking for trouble!  ????

Thanks - well spotted - we don't use it on there but when the air con folk came to replace the compressor then they did scary stuff on a ladder without any thought of safety. Thailand - Land of No Safety !

2 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Only a guess from experience in the trade many years ago, but is it possible there is glass to frame contact, if it is a metal door. When you put the a/c on the metal will contract possible squeezing the glass. Or the door frame is somehow twisted when closed, which puts adverse pressure points on the edge of the glass. Again, only a theory you could pursue. One thing always scares me here though, and that is the glass does not appear to be safety glass, or is it laminated?

good luck with a solution.

Yeah I was thinking that myself. I doubt at the price we paid it was safety glass which we were very happy to have paid for but this supplier just didn't cut/stock it.

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

If it's in the sun it could cause the frame to expand quite a bit

Very true - but the previous glass lasted probably at least 10 years without a problem. Am thinking putting cheap new glass in an old frame is asking for problems. He put a new runner on the edge of the glass as the old one was sticking for another 400 baht. After we put it in we sprayed liberally with WD40 and mineral oil to keep the mechanism free running. 

I'm no expert but my understanding is:-

Any contact between the metal of the frame and the glass itself is a recipe for disaster, check the rubber carefully and ensure all the broken bits are out.

There should be some "float" between the glass and the frame, if the glass is tight then any movement of the frame will stress and potentially crack it.

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'm no expert but my understanding is:-

Any contact between the metal of the frame and the glass itself is a recipe for disaster, check the rubber carefully and ensure all the broken bits are out.

There should be some "float" between the glass and the frame, if the glass is tight then any movement of the frame will stress and potentially crack it.

When my wife can pull herself away from a morning fix on her lakorn on youtube I'll update with detailed pics of the frame glass/rubber contact to see if that sheds any more light on the matter. Am thinking if the original supplier can admit some degree of negligence here then a one time replacement might be the first and cheapest solution before exploring better more durable solutions. 

Archived