Anybody flown Thai Airways Recently?

Nyezhov

29 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Going where?

London?

Night flight on A380?

Day time flight on 777?

Business Class?

Night flight was well in time over 7 days.

Day time flight in time 6 of 7 days. One problem (>3h).

Flown London-Bangkok-Phuket the last five years and always with Thai Airways but this trip (although at a very good price) will probably be my last with them.

I believe that they are struggling financially and the aircraft seemed very "tired" with grubby sagging seats - and the cabin crew not much better!

Lights out as soon as possible after take-off and meal, and then kept in darkness until 90 minutes before Bangkok - I would guess to keep us pax subdued and give the crew an easy time.

And finally, worryingly teeth-rattling landings in both Bangkok and Phuket despite very calm weather.

Will try EVA (if there is a) next time....

EVA have always been a big chunk cheaper than Thai from LHR. Plus they have more comfortable seats, better in flight entertainment, better food and really friendly (and good looking) flight attendants. Used EVA at least half a dozen times, probably flown Thai about 3-4 times. Will never book Thai again unless there is a big discount.

Flying Thai is the reason I bought my own headphones - the ones they give are either broken in one ear or so quiet I have to read the subtitles, but I can't read Thai or Mandarin fast enough to bother watching a film.

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Frankfurt

Uff... they missed my connecting flight there every time for past couple of years. To the point I started buying tickets from Lufthansa so they at least honoured onwards ticket and found me a later flight.

A380 comfort is good. Plane is quiet, food is so so, air crew is nice, punctuality is non-existent, as is taking any responsibility for the delays.

To Vienna - similar but slightly shorter route, B787 is good, though not as quiet. But often 2/3 empty so that adds to comfort. For some reason this flight was far more punctual. Food and air crew was more or less the same.

Not sure this helps.

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Frankfurt

The good news: it's "only" 12:15 hours :smile:

In time: 4 of 7, other 3 slightly late (41 min max).

And it's always an A380 night flight.

No EVA but Lufthansa as an alternative (also A380 night flight 10 min later).

1 minute ago, tomazbodner said:

Uff... they missed my connecting flight there every time for past couple of years. To the point I started buying tickets from Lufthansa so they at least honoured onwards ticket and found me a later flight.

A380 comfort is good. Plane is quiet, food is so so, air crew is nice, punctuality is non-existent, as is taking any responsibility for the delays.

To Vienna - similar but slightly shorter route, B787 is good, though not as quiet. But often 2/3 empty so that adds to comfort. For some reason this flight was far more punctual. Food and air crew was more or less the same.

Not sure this helps.

Naw dude it helps a lot, thanks. I dont need to connect so your info helps even more.

22 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Go Eva if you can , avoid BA (although usually best price) Thai are out dated and over priced (usually).

But they are the only company which flies directly to Brussels from Bangkok. 

I can also pay directly to them with a bank transfer from my Thai bank. 

35 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thai are out dated and over priced (usually).

Don't expect cheap on nonstop to FRA.

I checked an arbitrary date (Sat Jan 18 to Sat Feb 2).

Booked at airline(!).

TG: 37235 !

LH: 41085 !!

Both expensive (seasonal effects also, and Sat to Sat).

I would go Emirates one connect for 25015 :biggrin:

48 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Lights out as soon as possible after take-off and meal, and then kept in darkness until 90 minutes before Bangkok - I would guess to keep us pax subdued and give the crew an easy time.

That's how it should be. People want to sleep at night, not be kept awake.

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Don't expect cheap on nonstop to FRA.

I checked an arbitrary date (Sat Jan 18 to Sat Feb 2).

Booked at airline(!).

TG: 37235 !

LH: 41085 !!

Both expensive (seasonal effects also, and Sat to Sat).

I would go Emirates one connect for 25015 :biggrin:

13506 THB on feb 25. 13 hours, 15 minutes.

But its all academic, looks like Im going to the west coast instead and getting married.

Thing is  that I used  to Fly Thai. But I admit I  fly   "cattle class".  Upgraded once at  no cost and still arrived  shattered so  can't see the purpose in paying so much  for  no  genuine  advantage. ( Exception on connecting flights  being  the "Lounge" with the free  food etc  my wife insists on consuming at alarming  volumes ).

I am as  happy back in the cheap seats punching the  call  button  for  more  red wine as a sedative anytime.

????

59 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

And finally, worryingly teeth-rattling landings in both Bangkok and Phuket despite very calm weather.

Nonsense. A monkey can land a modern jet .  And how could you possibly tell what were good conditions? The biggest challenge when landing any plane from a Cessna 152 to the space shuttle are crosswinds and there is no way you can tell the crosswind factor from your little passenger window.

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

Flown London-Bangkok-Phuket the last five years and always with Thai Airways but this trip (although at a very good price) will probably be my last with them.

I believe that they are struggling financially and the aircraft seemed very "tired" with grubby sagging seats - and the cabin crew not much better!

Will try EVA (if there is a) next time....

9 minutes ago, madmen said:

Nonsense. A monkey can land a modern jet .  And how could you possibly tell what were good conditions? The biggest challenge when landing any plane from a Cessna 152 to the space shuttle are crosswinds and there is no way you can tell the crosswind factor from your little passenger window.

So who is the real monkey here? Let's get down to business. Does THAI Airways have shotty/turbulent landings often?

After reading the comments, I don't think I'd bother to pay for their prices given mediocre reported experiences.

You will probably be fine with a direct flight, but I avoid them.

Too many delayed flights I missed a few connections in the past.

And, LAX told them to leave for some unknown reason rumors were safety issues.

I take EVA or ANA now very happy.

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

EVA are the best.

I used EVA for 14 years as always the best option.

However in September 2018 wife and I took a 1 month holiday in the UK.

For a non stop flight at that time Thai were approx 10,000 baht more than EVA . So I assumed then that EVA were still the best..

But then my agent sent me a quote for British Airways non stop which was 10,000 baht cheaper than EVA. on the dates I wanted to travel. Two tickets meant a 20,000 baht saving so although having vowed never to fly BA or Thai again I bought 2 return tickets.

Have to say that the BA seats were more comfortable and had a bit more legroom. Other passengers we spoke to who had also used EVA concurred.  Food was also better and the wine flowed more freely.

Only downside was the back of seat in-flight entertainment . <deleted> compared to EVA.

Flight arrived at Heathrow 1 hour earlier which gave us time to get the free bus to the Hyatt hotel by 8.00 pm.

A short walk from there to an Indian corner shop and I had 2 bottles of cheap but real red wine and 1 pack of salmon and cucumber and 1 pack of chicken tikka wholemeal  sandwiches plus some nibbles for a very cheap 10 quid.

Way to go.

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

That's how it should be. People want to sleep at night, not be kept awake.

From the two flights available, one lands at 06:15 and I'd want to be asleep until as late as possible, so the first 5 or 6 hours I'd want to be awake.  The other lands at 16:00 so I'd want to have been awake for 9 or 10 hours when it landed.

Not always easy to do but it would help more passengers if they planned lights out time like this.

I've being flying Perth to Bangkok with Thai for many years and never had any problems.

Always on time,decent food, free drinks and at a reasonable price.Just done it again a few

weeks ago it cost me a mere AUD 570 for the return flight including every thing. And I did

not have movies with subtitles. Yes they have movies in Thai language but also in other

languages but most are in English. 

Archived