TAT invites people to try the 50 Chiang Mai restaurants recognized by MICHELIN Guide

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is inviting people to try the food at 50 restaurants recognized by the MICHELIN Guide in Chiang Mai. It has also come up with guidelines for promoting food tourism and increasing income from tourism.

Has nobody ever told you how restaurants can join the Michelin family? Paying ... Did they give you a little something too?

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, metisdead said:

Had a look and my conclusion is: food halls must now be michelin star. Having bounced about Thailand since 2002 longest stint being 9 years I have found it extremely hard to find a restaurant that has consistently good food, good service and a good atmosphere. In fact rocking horses come to mind. 

Edited by Scot123
:

I am sure the food is very tasty and clean and well presented at these venues on the Michelin list. However if you prepared to pay several hundred baht for Pad Thai that looks like a work of art as opposed to less than a hundred at a regular half decent ordinary Thai restaurant, then be their guest. 

image.jpeg.f4188a68258e0cbd7e3a2010cd1ffb29.jpegImage result for michelin restaurant street food pad thai

6 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I am sure the food is very tasty and clean and well presented at these venues on the Michelin list. However if you prepared to pay several hundred baht for Pad Thai that looks like a work of art as opposed to less than a hundred at a regular half decent ordinary Thai restaurant, then be their guest. 

image.jpeg.f4188a68258e0cbd7e3a2010cd1ffb29.jpegImage result for michelin restaurant street food pad thai

Food and food prices are very subjective and individual. I wish I can afford to eat in Michelin starred restaurants but doing so will reduce my bank balance rapidly. However, there is a distinct and noticeable difference in quality if not taste between a road side stall and a decent restaurant. There is also of course a price difference. 
Ultimately, it’s a question of do you eat to live or live to eat and what sort of food budget you have set for yourself. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Well, FYI, it is currently 53 in CM vs 85 in Bkk, according to AirVisual. But please, stay in Bkk, we don’t want the likes of you here in CM polluting our air

Ok!!  Thank you!!!  Sounds great!  Enjoy the air quality in spring for 5-6 months it's the BEST!  However, it's a great article, I can only dream of enjoying the food, that's as close as I get after taking your excellent advice and the poor air quality.  Wish you all the best.  Be safe. 

Edited by mike787

David's Kitchen ✓

Somtom Udon ✓

Anchan Noodles ✓

SP Chicken ???? The other chicken place off Niemann Road is to die for.  No comparison.

The rest? Never heard of them.

Plus, where is Cowboy Pork Lady?!?!?  OMG.

And Somtom Der?  They got a branch in New York Freaking City for Christ's sake.

If they can make it in NY, it's gotta be good 'nuff for CM, 555.

Edited by SiSePuede419

On 12/23/2019 at 5:47 PM, teacherofwoe said:

I'm just curious as to who goes to these restaurants. How many have you even heard of?

I don't know any of them and was surprised that some very good ones I did visit are not in it.

Would not pay 200-300B for Thai food as well, can find as good for under 50B a meal.

That picture looks horrible, and some of those dishes look super greasy.

HOWEVER, good food in CM is amazing and it will usually taste good over and over.  I have to try 5 restaurants to find one I like, but that's a pretty good ratio compared to other cities.  In my last city, I tried them all and only one was just OK.  just OK is not OK.  lol