Microsleep: Deputy mayor among those injured as van driver dozes off

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported on the latest accident involving what the Thais call "lap nai" or microsleep. 

A van carrying 12 people from Samut Songkhram to Chiang Mai went into the back of an 18 wheel truck-trailer on Pahonyothin Road in Mae Kua sub-district of Lampang.

Three were seriously injured including driver Samai, 58, and 57 year old Sophon Thongprem the deputy mayor of Lat Yai district in Samut Songkhram and another municipality official. 

Five others were also injured though less seriously.

Thongdee, 45, said he was delivering longans to Chiang Mai when the van went into the rear of his vehicle. He said he managed to slow his vehicle over to the side of the road to avoid further collisions. 

The injured were part of a Lat Yai municipal trip to attend a meeting in Chiang Mai. One passenger said that most of the party were asleep at the time. 

It appears that the driver of the Toyota van had also nodded off. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-23

Microsleep meaning: Description of a person falling asleep while driving. (Yes, sure! I know it´s not. Seem to be in Thai news, though.)

39 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

This is what Thais do when they're traveling in a vehicle they simply can't keep themselves awake (including the drivers). I think it's a medical thing.

Out of the reason it will be considered as a psychological disorder, it will only be worse to medicate. Just take a look at all the medicated people in mental hospitals. They seem to sleep all the time.

33 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Microsleep meaning: Description of a person falling asleep while driving. (Yes, sure! I know it´s not. Seem to be in Thai news, though.)

Out of the reason it will be considered as a psychological disorder, it will only be worse to medicate. Just take a look at all the medicated people in mental hospitals. They seem to sleep all the time.

Yes, but I'm sure they only crash into adjacent beds.

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Just take a look at all the medicated people in mental hospitals. They seem to sleep all the time.

Thailand offer care in the community to these sufferers by giving them driving licences and public transport to play with !

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Daily News reported on the latest accident involving what the Thais call "lap nai" or microsleep. 

This microsleep is expanding in an exaggerated way, in my opinion it is already an epidemic, the ministry of health should take care of it!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

This Micro sleep thing seems to be excepted as the New excuse, I wonder how long this will work ,than they will have to Invent a New excuse. Mongolion tadpoles.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 6:32 PM, 30la said:

This microsleep is expanding in an exaggerated way, in my opinion it is already an epidemic, the ministry of health should take care of it!

How can they do that when their asleep too?

I remember years ago seeing a little device that you put on your neck.

and it had an earpiece that sounded a buzzer,when your head nodded,

for it to work here it think the buzzer would have to be a lot louder !,

The Government could order some from China (at inflated prices) and

give them out to all van and truck drivers,it would be a start,but would

they wear them......

regards worgeordie