Honesty From A Small Shopkeeper

taxexile

a couple of weeks ago i bought about 500b worth of pharmaceuticals from a local small pharmacy in bangkok , paracetamol tablets , fishermans friend lozenges , vitamin tabs etc.

its a shop i use regularly for bits and bobs when i am in bangkok.

yesterday one of the owners , a thai man in his 40's , saw me walking past and called me in.

he told me that last time i was in he had miscalculated my bill and had overcharged me , he went to the till and gave returned 60baht to me.

with so many complaints and grumbles about the avariciousness of thai businesses , especially towards foriegners , i thought i would relate my experience and recommend the shop.

the small shop is called PHARMACY 22 , its on sukhumvit road , about 40 or 50 metres before you come to SOI 22 , walking from soi 20.

Couple of months ago I was at a noodle stand having a feed. I go there from time to time but wouldnt call it regular or frequent. Anyhow discovered next day I must have left my sunnys there...thats the end of that I thought. Three weeks later I walk past the same stand only to be greeted by the owner with a big smile on his dial and my sunnys in his hand. IMHO he was just being Thai.

Few years ago now my mates brother was over here working in the oil industry and was out having a sendoff with a few mates before he went back home for leave. Got really pissed, missed a corner on the way home and he and his bike went thru somebodies front fence. The householders, cleaned and bandaged him up, put his bike around the back for safekeeping, and he wakes up the next morning in their bed! The old fella even slept on the floor next to him in case there were any complications during the night. IMHO they were just being Thai.

I first came here over 20 years ago and it was a different place, but there are still a lot of these people out there.

I equate it the same way as I do with the Australian Aboriginals...a bad aboriginal is proportionate to the contact he/she has had with the white fellas....if you get my drift.