Thais warned to prepare for intense drought conditions

webfact

9 hours ago, khwaibah said:

This is why we put in a 50m x 50m x 10m this past year. The 3 weeks of rain that we had in September filled it. This pond is doing its job and as you can see a second corp of organic rice and a 5 rai garden all organic. Location is Kap Choeng Surin.

image.png.7218329b45f3e4bf77fe0536d477af1e.png

image.png.6ffe325e69e0637d89a704535bcd0dde.png

That’s why it’s funny when Thai people say “you think too much”.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jvs said:
7 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Thais should change to potatoes.Rice is a waste of resources.Potatoes need a fifth of water compared to rice

6 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes you are right,potatoes grow really well in the heat over here.

I'll certainly support that idea. We get beautiful locally grown potatoes. I eat'll them in preference to boring rice any day.

14 hours ago, khwaibah said:

This is why we put in a 50m x 50m x 10m this past year. The 3 weeks of rain that we had in September filled it. This pond is doing its job and as you can see a second corp of organic rice and a 5 rai garden all organic. Location is Kap Choeng Surin.

image.png.7218329b45f3e4bf77fe0536d477af1e.png

image.png.6ffe325e69e0637d89a704535bcd0dde.png

..that's nice dear!

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Thais should change to potatoes.Rice is a waste of resources.Potatoes need a fifth of water compared to rice

Great idea - if only it were possible to grow a decent potato crop, the soil gets far to hot to sustain potatoes in the North East, first they would have to fill in the paddies with soil also!

22 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

then it is time to cancel songkran for is a total water of water !!!!!

Do you seriously think that "banning" Songkran would make the slightness difference to the water situation?

Sure the locals would really appreciate the view that their annual traditional celebration should be cancelled, their lives are filled with so much joy!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps the rice farmers, not being in the military, have no need to listen to, or obey,orders.

I would like to see Songkran revert to the old traditional ways.

Still rice farmers taking water that is meant for everyone and thereby cutting off water production to drink is just criminal and selfish. 

As for all those OAP's that hate songkran and every year complain about it and think it wastes a lot of water are out of touch. It might be a few liters per person. Does not come near what farmers and industry use. 

I have no problem with Songkran, i dont participate as im usually busy around that time but enjoyed it at Khaosarn before. In the gated village i might get wet.. oh wow.. such a disaster. 

Sure you better avoid tourist area's but besides that its not too bad. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Do you seriously think that "banning" Songkran would make the slightness difference to the water situation?

Sure the locals would really appreciate the view that their annual traditional celebration should be cancelled, their lives are filled with so much joy!

Too many OAP's here who don't know anything about fun. I hope i never get like that. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2019 at 7:08 AM, Crossy said:

That was my immediate thought too.

Instead of just pinching the fish they will be pumping out the water and then pinching the fish.

When I  pumped  mine  out years  ago to make it  deeper/  bigger, some people turned up and  went into the mud  fishing............Wife told em to P.off

Just a reminder for all the OAP's that cry murder about the water wasted during Songkran.

Rice cultivation in Thailand uses between 9.400 and 12.500 m3 per Hectare and there is 9.2 million hectare land for rice. 

So farmers use 101.200.000.000.000 liters of water for that per harvest.

Say the 65.0000.000 million thais each use 100 liters of watr for songkran 6.500.000.000 liters that means farmers still use around 15.000 times more water (plus that not every thai uses 100 liters) 

So compared to farmers songkran means nothing. So here you have it facts VS GOM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_production_in_Thailand

http://www.fao.org/3/x6905e/x6905e0d.htm

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The last couple of years In Thailand have shown evidence that coupled  with predicted shortfalls in  rain need  be taken  quite seriously. Many rural places still have almost  zero reserves. Urban areas only  have  minimal. Agricultural  demand and  potable demand  faces a serious  crisis. Scoffing at infrastructural initiatives  is one thing  but the reality is  that  no matter how big the  bucket provided it  needs  rain to fill it one  way or other.

So this  heads up is appropriate . 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 3:27 AM, dcnx said:

No one including the government will prepare. 

As I recall, Prayuth and his coterie roundly abused the former government under Yingluck Shinawatra for incompetence during the floods a few years back. I suppose this is where we get to compare the outcomes with the rhetoric, though the situations aren't quite the same.

• Like 1

how dare you trivialize this! this is another climate change disaster. How dare you burn your fields... how dare you drive tuk-tuks, how dare you have farting oxen, how dare you have entertainment areas that have loads of *ussy farts... You've stolen something of mine. How dare you!   

Edited by Catoholic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Catoholic said:

how dare you trivialize this! this is another climate change disaster. How dare you burn your fields... how dare you drive tuk-tuks, how dare you have farting oxen, how dare you have entertainment areas that have loads of *ussy farts... You've stolen something of mine. How dare you!   

Clucking bell Greta you are grumpy today????

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, never complained about Songkran, but has to be said that many millions eat rice (me too) but you cannot eat Songkran.

Hard to deny too that Thais love their Songkran and some OAP's from an other country should not try to change a country.

But the fact was that Songkran water usage is nothing compared to what is used by farmers. 

Come to think of it the average water use for shower and toilets per person might even be higher then the water use of Songkrang. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Hard to deny too that Thais love their Songkran and some OAP's from an other country should not try to change a country.

But the fact was that Songkran water usage is nothing compared to what is used by farmers. 

Come to think of it the average water use for shower and toilets per person might even be higher then the water use of Songkrang. 

Yes, of course i agree with that, Songkran is not the problem.

The problem is, as i can see where i live, the filling of old reservoirs to build more buildings, and more in general, the lack of respect for the nature.

It's sad to see that we are in 2020 and the governments have not learned yet some clever management of a necessary resource like water.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yes, of course i agree with that, Songkran is not the problem.

The problem is, as i can see where i live, the filling of old reservoirs to build more buildings, and more in general, the lack of respect for the nature.

It's sad to see that we are in 2020 and the governments have not learned yet some clever management of a necessary resource like water.

Yes there need to be more reservoirs and not fill them in. Building more buildings is normal in a country (not good but unavoidable). The placement of current reservoirs is wrong. But that is because things are changing.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes there need to be more reservoirs and not fill them in. Building more buildings is normal in a country (not good but unavoidable). The placement of current reservoirs is wrong. But that is because things are changing.

Surely is a fact that population is increasing, unfortunately is also true that greed is winning against common sense.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, robblok said:

Just a reminder for all the OAP's that cry murder about the water wasted during Songkran.

Rice cultivation in Thailand uses between 9.400 and 12.500 m3 per Hectare and there is 9.2 million hectare land for rice. 

So farmers use 101.200.000.000.000 liters of water for that per harvest.

Say the 65.0000.000 million thais each use 100 liters of watr for songkran 6.500.000.000 liters that means farmers still use around 15.000 times more water (plus that not every thai uses 100 liters) 

So compared to farmers songkran means nothing. So here you have it facts VS GOM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_production_in_Thailand

http://www.fao.org/3/x6905e/x6905e0d.htm

First, do you have any evidence thats its just OAPs who complain about Songkran water wastage? Nope, didn't think so.

Second, you appear to be innumerate (thats the equivalent of illiterate, but applied to numbers, in case you don't understand that big word). For example, there are roughly 65 million Thais, not 650 million, which is what you appear to think. 

Third, use commas not a decimal point to separate 000,s, using a decimal is what a child might do. Even better, use exponents as opposed to long strings of zeros, which is again very much like a child would do. For example, a hundred million would be written as 100 x 10^6.

Finally, I think its the principle that people are probably complaining about, not the total volume of water used. The idea of Songkran is to celebrate the coming abundance of life giving water. The idea of a huge water throwing party in the middle of a life taking drought would strike many as obscene.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, uncleeagle said:

First, do you have any evidence thats its just OAPs who complain about Songkran water wastage? Nope, didn't think so.

Second, you appear to be innumerate (thats the equivalent of illiterate, but applied to numbers, in case you don't understand that big word). For example, there are roughly 65 million Thais, not 650 million, which is what you appear to think. 

Third, use commas not a decimal point to separate 000,s, using a decimal is what a child might do. Even better, use exponents as opposed to long strings of zeros, which is again very much like a child would do. For example, a hundred million would be written as 100 x 10^6.

Finally, I think its the principle that people are probably complaining about, not the total volume of water used. The idea of Songkran is to celebrate the coming abundance of life giving water. The idea of a huge water throwing party in the middle of a life taking drought would strike many as obscene.

Sorry mate where i come from they use points and not comma's. Maybe if you were a bit more open minded and knew about other countries then you could get it. (probably from a country where they use the imperial system)

Besides the numbers are all correct if you calculate. But i guess that goes over your head.

Yes i know old people think the water throwing is obscene i guess i can add you to that group. 

https://www.smartickmethod.com/blog/math/learning-resources/decimal-separators/

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1