Thais, New Trucks living beyond their means help

thaitot

Looking for some who has some experience with this situation.

i am married to a Thai lady. We have been married for 11 years we live in the USA. 

We visit Thailand every 2 years. last time we were there her brother who is about 30

showed up with a very nice truck. I am not 100 percent sure it was new but it was pretty close 

if not. This brings me to today. He is asking to borrow money to pay on this truck as he is behind.

We have the means to help but just throwing money at this may not be the best Idea in my opinion.

Some time back he said it was taking all his money just to keep this truck, I knew when we visited 

this was way to much truck for a person of his means.

Evidently credit worthiness has nothing to do with a truck loan in Thailand.

We told him to take the truck back and take his licks. In the USA that would mean your credit is trashed

and you may get your wages tapped. He said he can not return the truck.

I know there may be many variables but I understand there are allot of poor rice farmers

that a few years back were driving fancy trucks they never were going to be able to afford. 

So how can he get out of this loan, return the truck.

My fear is this is not going to end anytime soon. He has had the truck for at least 2 years.

We are not going provide financial payments to him to continue driving a truck he never should have gotten.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ezzra I completely understand the Thai way, again I did not just Mary a bar girl yesterday and am just now being told I will be building a new house in Issan. I am just trying to understand is this like a loan shark situation where they just put so much pressure on you that you will find the money. I guess what are they holding over his head to force him to pay.  

Just now, thaitot said:

I understand it is not a loan money always only goes one way Just trying to mitigate the damage to myself and my wife

Mitigate it 100%  then.....................

"Id  really  like to help you but its very difficult for us  now" etc etc Thais are  full of BS  like this and thats what you should  say to him

51 minutes ago, thaitot said:

He wants 50k To answer your question. I know the Thai way and how this all works with the family wanting money as i have lived in thailand  and have been married for 11 years. But what I am trying to dig into is if he does not pay for this truck and they come get it or he surrenders the truck what can they do. Stong arm him into paying take all his possessions his life. If need be I will request a copy of the loan agreement but for some reason I am thinking this may be a very common situation in Thailand  

50K baht to pay it off?

Pay it off and get it in your wife's name.

Used trucks still carry a high value.

We just got back to the USA from Isaan.

Paid off the brother in laws truck as a christmas present.

He has been going to Sweden picking berries every year and did a good job of paying most of it off himself.

26 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I sold my last car that was financed.

Buyer paid out the loan and gave me the  balance of sale price, finance company  gave him the book in his name.

thats the way to go sorry to say. he neeeds to sell it with remaining finance. not a lot to gain if anything, hopefully not a lot to lose if its that side of the line. you help today, expect to help tomorrow.....ad infinitum

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thaitot said:

No bwpage3 if it was 50k payoff that would be one thing I think it is 50k to get caught up on payments.

50k sound like catch up payments. 3 months ? then there will be more.... the guy needs to sell. he's asking you to help 'til paid off, start with the 50k. i seen it before...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jastheace that is exactly what i am trying to eliminate. We have been together for 11 years and really have done well with her family and money. I would help my family to the bitter end so I can not really take a difference stance. She has her own money and is not asking me to help i am just trying to keep  everything in check so she does not get taken advantage of

1 minute ago, thaitot said:

Jastheace that is exactly what i am trying to eliminate. We have been together for 11 years and really have done well with her family and money. I would help my family to the bitter end so I can not really take a difference stance. She has her own money and is not asking me to help i am just trying to keep  everything in check so she does not get taken advantage of

thaitot,  you know what is happening.

50k is the beginning, family are having a hard time. your choice if the wife helps, but expect more requests. if the truck is no longer paying for itself.... well, you know, i know you know. you are between a rock and a hard place. i understand. what i would do ? i seen this before, and many tales along the same lines... 

how much you want to donate ? 100k keeps the truck for 5 months... 200k 9 months, there are default payments and charges on top if its at the begging stage. sorry, but i do understand how it works. the guy will not be in too much trouble in a few years re credit history, plenty money in thailand for new borrowers without proof of income...

I don't know all the ins and outs but you need to ascertain if someone signed as a guarantor - if it was someone very close to you it is still your problem, secondly the 'Kaa dtit thaam' penalty costs accrue at an alarming rate - I think it is Btt500 per time they call and they call several times a week.

1 hour ago, thaitot said:

It would seem like the loan company would take the truck back and still hold him accountable for the balance less value of the truck. I am not sure how you can sell a truck you do not own. 

You can sell it by making that agreement with the finance company. You agree to let the payment go to them, and they change the owner name of the veichle as well as return the money left after work and expenses if any to the brother.

• Thanks 1