Condemnation after men dress as Nazis at Bangkok mall festive event

webfact

3 minutes ago, choff56 said:

They sure knew enough about World history to go out and buy or rent Nazi uniforms.

and with a little bit more research... they'd have added the swastikas, to go full Nazi

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Who'd ever heard of Schindler till the film came out. I certainly had not. My uncle was a British squaddie when the British army stumbled upon Belsen. We did not liberate it. There were very few souls left to liberate. They were nearly all dead and had to be bulldozed into mass graves

If it had been a true story rather than an isolated incident we'd have heard about it at the time or at least by the 1950s. Probably from the Jews he supposedly saved.

"...After the war, Schindler was at the top of the Czech list of wanted war criminals! To this day, the Czechs consider him a bandit and get nervous when they hear that Schindler was a great hero."

"... he also made a financial claim against the Jewish organization Joint. He meticulously calculated that he spent $ 1,056,000 on saving Jews during the war. And demanded the refund of this sum. "

You would honestly think though, even if ignorant about what the uniform stands for, that somebody, just going by numerous past examples of nazi imagery in Thailand and the resulting bad press, would say that this is maybe not such a good idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/swastika

You don't seem to know the origin and meaning of a swastika. Don't ever go to India. With your knowledge you would constantly bump into this for you offensive symbol.

Not only Thais don't get taught history. You weren't either.

Settle down, it's a common enough mistake.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HHTel said:

Actually the Wehrmacht comprised of army, navy and air force. Heer is the name given to the German army.

They committed most of the atrocities against the Jews under the orders of the Hitler regime.  After Hitler re-introduced conscription and the formation the Wehrmacht, the oath was changed to include allegiance to Hitler.

All those uniforms of that era carry the stigma of the holocaust.  Only recently, the German army had to apologise to their own superiors and government for displaying Wehrmacht uniforms of that era in a history museum.  

So the Germans themselves are probably the strongest critics of uniforms of that time.

The Bundeswehr accidentally included a photo of Nazi era uniform (with a specific Nazi emblem) as part of a marketing campaign aimed at recruitment among young people. That the uniform was in a museum was not a problem.

That's why they apologised:

https://www.dw.com/en/bundeswehr-apologizes-for-retro-nazi-uniform-on-instagram

"Swastikas and other banned symbols can, however, be displayed in Germany if they are used for "civic education, countering anti-constitutional activities, art and science, research and education, the coverage of historic and current events, or similar purposes," according to the Criminal Code."

Germany′s confusing rules on swastikas and Nazi symbols ...

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bangrak said:

but I am getting tired of the automatic equation "German = nazi" when relating to the 1930 to 45 period

Even Germans "great heroes" from that period that Germany sponsored

to make movies about like Schindler's List or Valkyria with Tom Cruse
are considered at least in some places... war criminals...

But apparently Germany don't have anyone better from this period ...

The bloody war in Yugoslavia in the 90s in which up to 200,000

people died and mass murders in Europe appeared again was

a consequence of Prussian policy in the region.

Prussians cannot live without mass murders from time to time
Nazi is synonymous with German or Prussian.

Edited by marqus12
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

Even Germans "great heroes" from that period that Germany sponsored

to make movies about like Schindler's List or Valkyria with Tom Cruse
are considered at least in some places... war criminals...

But apparently Germany don't have anyone better from this period ...

The bloody war in Yugoslavia in the 90s in which up to 200,000

people died and mass murders in Europe appeared again was

a consequence of Prussian policy in the region.

Prussians cannot live without mass murders from time to time
Nazi is synonymous with German or Prussian.

I frankly doubt that, there are many examples of a weak and laissez-faire population going along with a charismatic leader just to get along, rather than as the result of sharing a social philosophy.

If you put on your thinking cap and think really hard.  you'll probably come up with a pretty good example of just that rather closer to home than Prussia.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, tabarin said:

So true, I was quite shocked by that at first as Cambodia is their right door neighbour.

Surprising indeed, especially when  considering that if Pol Pot had succeeded, guess which neighbouring country would have been next... or the one after that.

I have written to Daryl F Zanuck about all those actors and extras in his film "The Longest Day" being dressed in German Army uniforms and I suggested (most strongly) that the film be remade with them in dirndl dresses instead.

Thus we can remake history.

Daryl has not replied.

• Haha 2

Thai style.

From my mostly bad experiences whilst living in Thailand; the land of frowns and back stabbing, I've found most Thai to be racist.

I'm in the hope that Israel stands firm by putting their foot down with other nations following their lead.

No need for racism!  Millions died and still suffer because of narrow minded idiots!

The world is now intergrated and multicultural as is Thailand... Move on Thai nationals.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/25/2019 at 8:33 AM, terminatorchiangmai said:

Is there another history besides Thailand?

They don't even know what happend in Cambodia during khmer rouge.

I went to Ayyuttaya with a GF once where she told me that those nasty Burmese had vandalized the temples and broken the heads off the Buddha’s. A couple of weeks later we were in Vientiane where she said the Burmese must have been here too and damaged the buddhas at the temple we were in. 

“Uh, no dear ....Thais did this. “

”Oh no, Thais would not do something like that”

” Oh yes they did”

Thai history is very selective.

• Like 2