Question About Working Your Own Land

Hi guys,

My friend has 20 rai of land, he has his own excavator (old) and a small tractor (new). Now he needs a truck to move soil etc loaded by his excavator.

I have 40 rai with 500 rubbertrees and a couple of hundred lumjaytrees.

I would like to make some roads and do some other digging in my land (my wifes land).

Our idea is that I buy the truck and then we can transport his excavator to my land.

Question 1: This is one of the small "blue" Toyota trucks so do you need special drivers licence or is Thai licence for car OK?

Question 2: Do you need workpermit to work on your own land? It is not a business, just a hobby.

Regards SI

Hi guys,

My friend has 20 rai of land, he has his own excavator (old) and a small tractor (new). Now he needs a truck to move soil etc loaded by his excavator.

I have 40 rai with 500 rubbertrees and a couple of hundred lumjaytrees.

I would like to make some roads and do some other digging in my land (my wifes land).

Our idea is that I buy the truck and then we can transport his excavator to my land.

Question 1: This is one of the small "blue" Toyota trucks so do you need special drivers licence or is Thai licence for car OK?

Question 2: Do you need workpermit to work on your own land? It is not a business, just a hobby.

Regards SI

Your normal 4-wheel driving license will suffice if this truck is a four-wheeler, regardless of size. If, however, it is a six (or ten) wheeler, you must apply for a Class 2 licence (ชนิดที่ 2), which permits you to drive anything from 4 to 10 wheels (except a petrol/chemicals tanker). You will have to spend two days at your local DVLC for this. I'll give you more details if indeed you are considering buying a 6 or 10 wheel truck. I obtained mine 3 years ago.

I presume your "hobby" is expected to make some money, in which case you working it will, technically, require a work permit. In practice, however, I've never heard of anyone being challenged for working on their own land. I do remember one occasion, though, at Suan Plu when the Imm officer asked casually, whilst I conversed about farming, if I also got involved in the daily work. I asked her to look at my tan and told her I wasn't exactly staying in the house watching TV all day. She laughed and commented that it was just as well, though, that I lived so far out of sight since my farm activities certainly required a WP.

Rgds

Khonwan