Pattaya: Pitiful old man at the police station will be "repatriated to Britain"

webfact

10 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

affordable, but really, do expats need any more bad press of Thais having to financially look after foreigners? 

Yes, agree, but this is maybe a case with extenuating circumstances?

There's plenty of looking after foreigners going on in the UK too, probably also Germany, America etc? (But then again, there are foreigners who bring alot to those countries also).

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, robblok said:

If he was an alcoholic then its of his own doing. Its hard to take care of an alcoholic. 

extremely difficult even to people who have been educated about the disease, the alcoholics totally self serving behavior to someone not familiar with addiction can make the warmest person turn ice cold.. 

32 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Where does it say he had a Thai family, wife or girlfriend? Too much jumping to conclusions with a measure of veiled thai bashing thrown in. Where were all the members of the legendary farang brotherhood to help him out?

Possibly just an old derelict alchoholic who finally ran out of money.

Well the assumption is that he must have a back story, and did not simply spring into existence, wheelchair and all, from a vaccum.

I reckon that is a fair assumption

1 minute ago, metempsychotic said:

Well the assumption is that he must have a back story, and did not simply spring into existence, wheelchair and all, from a vaccum.

I reckon that is a fair assumption

There are many single male expats without any family connections with Thai people.

Just now, emptypockets said:

There are many single male expats without any family connections with Thai people.

I was for about 20 years, but nothing like as old as this guy.

This story also illustrates that unlike in the UK (or some other places), there's no support or safety net for people like this.

29 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

If the poor old fella has been here a while the warm Tory welcome will be your not entitled to anything here is a blanket a foodbank voucher and your NHS bill ????

He could ditch his passport and claim refugee status, then be entitled to everything.

1 hour ago, DaveE13 said:

Maybe I not sure about other countries but UK old bill would get in touch with social services.

I would hope so.

At least the embassy are trying to get in touch with family back home. 

What would happen if he has no family at home?

48 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

If the poor old fella has been here a while the warm Tory welcome will be your not entitled to anything here is a blanket a foodbank voucher and your NHS bill ????

Behave, Boris will put him up in the spare room,keep all the snowflakes happy..

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

To really understand what was going on here, a lot more information would be helpful. I suspect the cops have decided to "help" out of being shamed rather than from a sense of pity. Regardless, if the fella gets home without having to go through the ignominy of IDC then God speed to him. I just hope he has someone waiting for him when he gets there.

At least wonderful NHS. 

The UK embassy will be looking for relatives to foot the bill for sending him home, no doubt, and to take care of him and remove the burden on the NHS once he arrives there.  We definitley need more background info on this case before judging the poor old guy.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Where does it say he had a Thai family, wife or girlfriend? Too much jumping to conclusions with a measure of veiled thai bashing thrown in. Where were all the members of the legendary farang brotherhood to help him out?

Possibly just an old derelict alchoholic who finally ran out of money.

There are many places that would have helped him, if asked...for example the Father Ray Foundation have assisted many with accomodation and meals at no charge, and if necessary paid for hospital treatment or flights etc, with little chance of any repayment. The British Legion in Pattaya are very kind and would also have assisted. The Rotary Foundation of Thailand, the Lions charity foundation  the expats club etc, all these will assist in some way.

Ultimately this guy came to Thailand with some money etc and one way or another needs the kindness of others, it can happen overnight etc, with illness.

Regardless of whether or not people were calling him that is the term “pitiful old man” really necessary for a public article like this? Hopefully he does have family in the UK. They said the British Embassy was apparently trying to contact them according to the article at least. At least they’re talking care of him. 

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

America?

I am American and I know  any US police station would not kick him out.  they would find shelter and provide meals until Social Services were notified and worked with him to get him home to the UK.

In addition, there are various church groups that could assist someone in such dire straits.

There's alot of bad press about police in America, some deserved, most not .

Most police are profesionals and have a heart.  

The real problem is what happens to people like this who are in Thailand.  There are very few support groups around  and the Embassies are not stafffed with social workers.

This is a sad story- I hope everything works out. Regardless of their state- everyone deseerves  to live in dignity.

Archived