Pattaya: Pitiful old man at the police station will be "repatriated to Britain"

webfact

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, TexasFlyer said:

Where I come from they’d first give him a room with three hot squares/day then sign him up for every free benefit program available (including his wife, children and grandchildren and relatives) then give him a loan to buy a house. Not to mention paying little or no tax on income. 

Very soon he and his relatives would not only have a better cable package than you but they’d be living above the level of the average citizen. 

I’m sure you can guess where I’m from!

Come one, come all to the tit of the world!

Rules out America then....

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I was for about 20 years, but nothing like as old as this guy.

This story also illustrates that unlike in the UK (or some other places), there's no support or safety net for people like this.

You can bet there's some blokes reading this who are thinking, 'Blimey, that could be me in a few years time'.

10 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

he's white and british, well deserving of a decent and free NHS treatment

sorry if this comment upsets the lefties, who wish horrible deaths among the centrists and rights

Unfortunately Cyril you missed out two factors in your analysis he's poor and probably an expat legally entitled to very little???? 

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I was for about 20 years, but nothing like as old as this guy.

This story also illustrates that unlike in the UK (or some other places), there's no support or safety net for people like this.

Why would an old British person need financial help from Thailand when every UK pensioner get at least a basic pension of about £165 per week that is a lot more than many working Thais?

3 hours ago, daiwill60 said:

The UK embassy will be looking for relatives to foot the bill for sending him home, no doubt, and to take care of him and remove the burden on the NHS once he arrives there.  We definitley need more background info on this case before judging the poor old guy.

He could become a Muslim, then get all the benefits going, they would even wish him Happy Holidays.

3 hours ago, kevinmartyn said:

Never really get the real truth from these posts and lets hope and pray he does not die on the streets of London because Boris Johnson does not give a flying <deleted> about OAPs! FACT

Do you really think Labour does.

Not if they're native Britons they don't. The London borough housing departments have an unofficial slogan, 'White Working Class need not apply'.

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

ISNT IT PATHETIC, that after Pattaya plod were shamed on social media, they are suddenly going out of their way to help the man.

Shame on you sad individuals, ohh look at me helping the poor old man.

It's also pathetic how useless the British Embassy is in such cases...and this goes for the way most Embassies treat citizens in trouble overseas. 

7 minutes ago, Perhaps2more said:

Why would an old British person need financial help from Thailand when every UK pensioner get at least a basic pension of about £165 per week that is a lot more than many working Thais?

Maybe some Thai people were helping him spend it?

I had an old Brit friend (70'ish years old) who hanged his self in Khon Kaen some years ago, I suspected that he'd been bled dry financially by his Thai family.

18 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

You can bet there's some blokes reading this who are thinking, 'Blimey, that could be me in a few years time'.

True. I left Thailand last year at 54 thinking similar things. I always vowed that I'd never stay there until low on money/income/pension. So after 20 years I came home.

Quite a few old friends (70+ y o) have left Thailand in recent years, I think healthcare costs were in the back of their minds/a factor for all of them.

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Very true. 

Also, I've often wondered how a Buddhist country like Thailand squares the use of the death penalty with their Buddhist beliefs??????

"Governments" aren't "Buddhist;" they rule and exploit the vast majority,  while serving the interests of oligarchs...everywhere, throughout history. Some governments are better on the margin, but it's the same story everywhere. Most of what you learned in civics class was bu££$₩€¥.

....  Well I think to call him "Pitiful" is really using the wrong words ! ... Like he is about 80 ! ... !!! ... And this is what happens to you when you get to 80 ! ... IF you are lucky enough to make it that far !!! ...

...  Like as my Old Uncle said to me once ... In a Pokie Pub back in Australia, ... where we were surrounded by Old men like this, and Old ladies with Blue rinse Hair, .... "Look around Mark" He said , .... "Looks Funny doesn't it" ... "But I will tell you what it Really is all about" .... and he leaned a bit close Closer ! and said ...  ... "They are the One's That Made it" !!! .... ( Or he might have even said ... "WE are the ones that Made it" !!! quite possibly ) ... At that stage any way. ...

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And they really believe that they went beyond their remit. " going beyond duty as friends " to help this poor Gentleman.

What a really sad excuse for Human Beings some RTP Officers are, and that also goes for the low life that subjected this man to such a humiliating ordeal by leaving him there in the first place.

I hope that one day all the Bad will come back to them.

If I ever get as bad as them PLEASE>>> Somebody shoot me.

Just One Phone call to the British Consular in Bangkok several days ago, was all it would have taken to stop this shameful experience for this poor man.

I now wish him God Speed, and best Wishes for the future.

No British consul nor embassy staff came to the aid of the poor fellow who was chained to the cell door because he'd had a mental breakdown a few years ago.

After the Tsunami a friend of mine was in hospital some where in Bangkok. They couldn't be bothered to tell me which hospital he was in even though he was 6000 miles from home for the first time in a country in which his pal had just been drowned.

The embassy and its consular staff are not fit to do the job we pay them for. Don't even think of relying upon them.

Like at 80 HE has made it ! ... Even if he is a wheel chair. ... And at the Pattaya Police station !!! ....

I my self, .... arriving on a new Posting, on a Seismic off shore Research vessel once ... and as I met the Predominantly Russian Crew at that time, ... I was asked "Hey, How Old are You" (Like I was a LOT older then most of the rest of them !!! ) ... And I said 53 I think ? ... and they replied !!! " Varrrr, Wowwww, .... Most of our men are Dead by then" !!! .... (And I was still doing a 35 year old mans job, ... on a Seismic Exploration Vessel. .... Like I had made it also so to speak ! ... 

I will read back o this guys Problems ... but well, ... what ever !!!....  He HAS MADE IT !!! .... and I also bet that he probably does not even feel pitiful at all ! ...  Like he is probably actually pretty bloody happy about it !!! ... Like a free Flight home back to Britain ! .... and some where probably quite OK to stay when he gets there no doubt ! ... 

... Like My Brother works in an Old persons home in Australia, like a terminal One where most of the patients die with in a couple of Years !!! (God Bless his Good soul, my good brother) .... But he tells of one poor old Guy, who he says was doped off there once, about 7 Years ago ! and NO ONE from his Family has ever been in there to visit him ever since !!! .. Like for 7 Years !!! ... Like ? maybe they are all just about Dead also ???

...  My Brother was attacked by an Old, dying Vietnam vet with a Knife once ! .... but he was Mopping up ! ....  So he says that he just Lifted his Mop up, and charged him like Sir Lancelot !!! .... and well the Guy and his Knife, .... went down !!! ... He reported it to the Matron, ...  and she said ... Well I think that we should put this one down as ..... "Patent fell over"  I think ....

...  Like IT is all about ..."Making it" Really I think ! ...

....  And I hope that you ALL have a Nice New Year also. 

As usual with news reports here, we are sadly lacking details, drives me nuts every day!

Anyone recognise the blue notice on the wheelchair?

I guess he stuck it out here as long as he could, better that than end up in a UK care home.

He's actually only 40 years old, but looks 80 as he screwed and drank himself into the ground…. Way to go.

On interviewing him, he informed Police; “I had a lot of fun getting into this condition!”

Seriously, how many of us may well end up the same way? There is nothing to go back to.

At Great risk of getting Kicked in the Teeth ! ....  I do have to say, that From what I have seen,, over the last 35 Years or so, ... That the Thais, DO look after their Old People pretty well you know, ...  and well ? Cops are Cops ! ... They have to Do, ... COPS Business, .... and answer to their peers, and superiors also, so do not blame them either !!! 

...  It is Illegal not to look after you Old people in Thailand any way I think ? ...  Like I am pretty sure that there is a Law, that says that if the Young Family members, have Money, but they do not give some / Look after their old People, the Old people can take them to Caught, and sue them for it ! ??? 

.... Though of course in Practice this probably very rarely happens .... 

2 hours ago, tomauasia said:

Take not and please respect these elders regardless of race. I helped a old Thai on a road to shop my Thai wife couldn't believe because lm not the nicest at times. As l said to her respect your elders one day you to will need help. I have done this at bike accidents while Thais do nothing.

Good on the police thanks.

Yes a Very Good on the Police !!!

… Well, I DO hope that I am not too far off topic here ! ? …

... But … The Thais DO help People !!! … And they DO often now I think. … Well around here where I live at least any way.

Re Accidents … The Thai's have always been a bit scared of what happens to the persons spirit if they Die, …  like if you are there, and touching them, they probably think that it will jump to you ? (I think ?) If they do just happen to Die. .... 

...  And also in the Old days if you took some one from an accident to Hospital, you were held accountable for the Bill ! …. Until they, paid ! …. Hence no one picked up people from accidents ! ... But things have changed, and changed pretty fast as usual, and with the new Compulsory third party Person Insurance, I think that it is not the case any More. … Like with the Increase of Road traffic and hence accidents, … they have HAD to change.

One of my US Friends rode his racking bike, down a Large Hole, at about 100K once … in the rain, at night, ....Drunk Etc.  … While trying to race a Thai in a Pickup, by passing him on the left ....

He flew 75 M through the air … Missed 2 trees and a road sign, ... Hit the road and skidded along it another 15 m !!! … Like I saw the Blood Splats and trail on the road in between them !!! ... And the Thai in a Pickup ... Who he was racing ? ...

Well a Thai in a Pickup, stopped, picked him up, and rushed him to the local Hospital, and they pumped him full of Valium to relax his Muscles I think, so that he could breathe again, as he had a large amount of the road, and the edge of the Hole, and possibly even his Helmet, Rammed down his throat ! …

So he would have died, if he had been left on the road. ... But he did not, … The country Thais from around here, were REALLY fast so I heard !!! … They did NOT leave him there !!! … They RUSHED him to hospital, …... And they DID save his Life.

(And got a lot of Blood in the back of their Pickup also no doubt !!!) 

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Thank you for your post. Mine was written hours ago before your update.

Who dropped him off at the police station? An evil thai wife or girlfriend seems to be the most popular conspiracy theory amongst the posting fraternity.

The lady who came, thai and from a bar.

She spoke good English. 

Knew him.

Knew his situation. 

She said that he cannot keep staying with friends. 

And yes it was said that his visa/extension was out.

And the "friend" had dropped him at the police station that morning, saying that they would help him. 

The police...

If I had not been sat waiting I would not have chatted to him.

The police were really good and concerned. 

Especially the police lady in the photo. 

He was happy to be put on a plane he said.

I think he knew that his run was over in the Land of Smiles. 

They were contacting the embassy and working on keeping him out of the Bangkok detention facility. 

I was impressed....

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

After the Tsunami a friend of mine was in hospital some where in Bangkok. They couldn't be bothered to tell me which hospital he was in even though he was 6000 miles from home for the first time in a country in which his pal had just been drowned.

The embassy and its consular staff are not fit to do the job we pay them for. Don't even think of relying upon them.

The Embassy can only give information to Family members , as you were just a friend , you couldnt get any information from the Embassy 

5 hours ago, dallen52 said:

...Someone had dropped him with the police instead of immigration Jomtien. 

He didn't have the 300 for a taxi to Jomtien...

So this unfortunate man wanted to be taken to Pattaya immigration office but was instead brought to the police station. I take this to mean that the driver, name as yet unknown, misunderstood his passenger.

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Where is his bank account and who has the ATM card?

A basic UK pension is good money for Pattaya- , bet he has

been taken advantage of by his Thai "wife".

He probably won't have much left after the British government stole his state pension annual increases from him.

24 minutes ago, Maestro said:

So this unfortunate man wanted to be taken to Pattaya immigration office but was instead brought to the police station. I take this to mean that the driver, name as yet unknown, misunderstood his passenger.

Suppose this is the part that possibly nobody can fill in.

I had been sat in the front area since 9am.

He appeared around 10am.

The helpful police lady I mentioned previously went to ask him if he was ok.

I had been chatting with him about 15 minutes before the police took over. 

The thai lady mentioned obviously knows him.

He was a bit disoriented and distressed, but had a bag with ID and passport etc.

No residence slip in the passport as I saw his stuff..

He was waving it around looking for someone to help him. 

(He thought it was immigration, not the police station).

I would have to guess, but yes it looks like he was dropped off and left there.

Someone must have contacted the thai lady who knew him, saying that he was at the police station..

It's a bit of a who dunnit.!!

Sorry I cant add anything else. 

Good luck to him..????????????

"Earlier in the week it was claimed online that the man had been at Pattaya police station for 3 to 4 days.

The police had given him a blue towel to protect his modesty".

I'm not going to invoke the RTP wrath, but yes I was there, and the above is pure <deleted>.

He was clothed. 

shirt, shorts, sand shoes.

walking stick. 

looked disheveled. 

my guess is he actually  appeared day 18.

Wednesday. 

I may have said before 19th.

I got him a bottle of water and was chatting with him some time before the police assistance. 

11 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

The difference being. there's a chance that someone from health/social services'll be waiting when he gets back to the UK.

don't count on that, with the Tories still in power, they have gutted social services in the UK, cos you know billionaires need the money more

Anyone remember the case a few years back when the American family from LA brought their old grandpa (who was suffering with dementia) to the UK to dump him?  He was dumped in a bus station in Hereford and they flew back to LA.

UK authorities looked after him and I think eventually tracked down the family and sent the old guy back to the US..

Archived