Pattaya: Pitiful old man at the police station will be "repatriated to Britain"

webfact

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

The Embassy can only give information to Family members , as you were just a friend , you couldnt get any information from the Embassy 

Oh that makes it OK then.

He might not even have had a family these days, many folk don't. They rely on and trust their friends.

Perhaps this old chap in Pattaya police station had no real family members in the LOS like you probably haven't

Let's try and be real. I hope you can count count on your friends when the brown stuff actually hits the patlom.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

Why would an old British person need financial help from Thailand when every UK pensioner get at least a basic pension of about £165 per week that is a lot more than many working Thais?

If he has been living in Thailand his pension would have been frozen I believe. If one fails to provide a 'proof of life' document when requested it is stopped. They often send it to some address you may not have used for some time. 

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

He probably won't have much left after the British government stole his state pension annual increases from him.

They did that to an old chum of mine who was found to be over staying in Pattaya about 8 years ago. Two thousand pounds they actually took off of him in overpaid pension money! 

He'd served out here with the Chindits in the latter stages of WW2. 

Then we got a Muslim Pakistani Ambassador , one Asif Ahmad as our representative in Thailand who understandably applauded the action.

This old chap, the chum of mine (not Ahmad) actually served in this neck of the woods in 1943 - 45 when the Yanks the assisted by Errol Flynn ran the Japs out of Burma.

No wonder it's now no longer politically correct to describe yourself as being English.

25 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Indigenous Brit?

Brits were conquered by the Celts from Central Europe.

And you seemed to be forgetting about how England was conquered by the Romans?  I've been to Bath, England.  I've seen the Roman walls and baths with my own eyes.

There is no such thing as "indigenous" culture anywhere at any time in the world, including Thailand.

Read a book sometime and learn something. ????

You 'read a book' and find out how we sent the Romans scuttling back to Italy with their tails between their legs.

Go and tell an Englishman that he's no longer English and see what happens to your front teeth.

18 hours ago, robblok said:

If he was an alcoholic then its of his own doing. Its hard to take care of an alcoholic. 

Every physician and most of us normal persons would accept that alcoholism is an illness. What makes it so difficult for you?

17 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Yes, but I think one can end up the same way being stoned every day.

People who smoke weed every day don't get stoned anymore as their body gets used to it.  I have seen guys smoking weed all day long just like other people cigarettes and they kept up working in a very normal office job without any of their colleagues taking note of it.

21 hours ago, dyertribe said:

I'd like to know the back story of how he got there ... I suspect that he became too much of a bother for his Thai family ...

Elder dumping is a problem in many countries, especially at this time of the year sadly.

Agree with your assumptions, and that something is clearly missing in the story.

Also, who is paying for the repatriation; the British embassy? And how can he travel back; did he have his passport with him? (If so, why was he, initially, just labelled 'a western man', if they knew his nationality.)

Strange, that all this information is missing in the news.

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Agree with your assumptions, and that something is clearly missing in the story.

Also, who is paying for the repatriation; the British embassy? And how can he travel back; did he have his passport with him? Strange, that all this information is missing in the news.

Read post 146 on page 10 and you know more.

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

They did that to an old chum of mine who was found to be over staying in Pattaya about 8 years ago. Two thousand pounds they actually took off of him in overpaid pension money! 

He'd served out here with the Chindits in the latter stages of WW2. 

Then we got a Muslim Pakistani Ambassador , one Asif Ahmad as our representative in Thailand who understandably applauded the action.

This old chap, the chum of mine (not Ahmad) actually served in this neck of the woods in 1943 - 45 when the Yanks the assisted by Errol Flynn ran the Japs out of Burma.

No wonder it's now no longer politically correct to describe yourself as being English.

Your first paragraph, It must have been his pension credits or some other benefits the money was taken for. Besides that 2000 Pounds they took from him would take a lot more than eight years to pay back, as they can only take a little from him every month unless he had a very good private pension. They cannot take payments from the state pension alone, it says so on the DSS website.

15 hours ago, dallen52 said:

I can tell you some of it.

He arrived in the station same day as the Austrian man people were slagging off about. 

I sat talking to him about an hour.

(I was waiting to see someone)

He is 75, British. 

Been living with friends. 

Been here 10 years he said. 

Is known to some bar people. 

One lady was talking to him about his situation. 

A friend... has access to his money. UK pension. Or what's left.

He was almost out of visa, or extension. 

So no doubt overstay now.

Someone had dropped him with the police instead of immigration Jomtien. 

He didn't have the 300 for a taxi to Jomtien. 

Yes, the police really are helping him.

Some very helpful and caring front office staff there.

They contacted the embassy when I was there.

And were arranging to get him to Jomtien. 

This was the 19th December. 

Thanks for that, that is very easy to believe.

19 minutes ago, No1 said:

eople who smoke weed every day don't get stoned anymore as their body gets used to it.  I have seen guys smoking weed all day long just like other people

Yeah right, no effect whatsoever ehhh dude!

There's a lot of foreign old men living in Thailand. As they get sicker and older, what is to become of them? In a western country we have homes for the elderly. Thailand is not equipped in that way so I guess we'll be hearing much more about abandoned old men in the future.

15 hours ago, DennisE said:

This is kind of an unusual situation for the Thai police to find a homeless elderly foreigner outside of the police station. Ever since immigration got stuff together last year I haven’t been hearing very many stories like this anymore. I remember a time here years ago when there were stories of homeless foreigners in Thailand all the time. Not so much anymore thanks to immigration tightening everything up. And now immigration is slowly loosening up a little bit because of the bad Thai economy. 

"and now immigration is slowly loosening up a little bit because of the bad Thai economy."  What???? I have not seen any signs of that so far, and don't expect to see much in the future, though I hope I'm wrong.

8 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Wonder how this process works. Is he just put on a plane and unloaded alone at Heathrow? Nowhere to live and no money.

I guess, there are social services (Red Cross, or church) at the airport, who will take him off the hands of airline staff upon arrival, then finding shelter for him. They will probably also try to contact his family.

14 hours ago, yogi100 said:

He's no use to 'em any more if no more money is coming in because his pension has been cancelled. At least they didn't chuck him on the barbeque like they did that other old boy a few years back.

The UK Govt stop your pension if they don't hear from you or they think you're dead.

Why would they ever think you are dead? Do pensioners not living in the UK not have to prove they are still alive every so often?

Just now, moe666 said:

Where are all his brit buddies stepping up, surly some knew of his pronlem. Yeah we all know to busy tipping a pint

It is pretty easy to become isolated here, friends drift away. It takes a special friend to keep an eye out for someone. Plenty of lonely old folks around the world, difference here is they are away from their relatives and family members.

9 hours ago, dallen52 said:

"Earlier in the week it was claimed online that the man had been at Pattaya police station for 3 to 4 days.

The police had given him a blue towel to protect his modesty".

I'm not going to invoke the RTP wrath, but yes I was there, and the above is pure <deleted>.

He was clothed. 

shirt, shorts, sand shoes.

walking stick. 

looked disheveled. 

my guess is he actually  appeared day 18.

Wednesday. 

I may have said before 19th.

I got him a bottle of water and was chatting with him some time before the police assistance. 

quote: "...I'm not going to invoke the RTP wrath, but yes I was there, and the above is pure <deleted>...."

Nice point, so many posts on TV are pure assumptions, often with intention to create negative.

43 minutes ago, Bugsy777 said:

There's a lot of foreign old men living in Thailand. As they get sicker and older, what is to become of them? In a western country we have homes for the elderly. Thailand is not equipped in that way so I guess we'll be hearing much more about abandoned old men in the future.

Yes, when it gets nearer to the time when they will need to claim on their health insurance, they will be dropped even if they have been paying in all these years without making a claim.

1 hour ago, Bell1234 said:

It will never run out he gets a pension of over £600 PM.. Alot to a Thai family.

"It will never run out he gets a pension of over £600 PM."  Are you sure about that? That can only happen

if he has lived here and not told the DSS.

4 hours ago, yogi100 said:

tell an Englishman that he's no longer English and see what happens to your front teeth.

I reside since 2000 in Thailand.

I am not particularly fond of most of the English men I met in Pattaya, due to the discourteous language. 

When I am in Thonglor, they are somewhat different, till the 3-4 pint. 

However I refuse to believe that every Englishman in the U.K. is a violent person. 

20 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

There was a thought provoking thread the other day here that I read about folks who have lost touch with family/relatives while being an expat here and then having to go back and reconnect. With his health issues this guy may be in for a rougher ride when he returns..

He will be taken care of by social services as soon as he lands in the UK.

Archived