Pattaya: Pitiful old man at the police station will be "repatriated to Britain"

webfact

6 hours ago, dyertribe said:

I'd like to know the back story of how he got there ... I suspect that he became too much of a bother for his Thai family ...

Elder dumping is a problem in many countries, especially at this time of the year sadly.

I can tell you some of it.

He arrived in the station same day as the Austrian man people were slagging off about. 

I sat talking to him about an hour.

(I was waiting to see someone)

He is 75, British. 

Been living with friends. 

Been here 10 years he said. 

Is known to some bar people. 

One lady was talking to him about his situation. 

A friend... has access to his money. UK pension. Or what's left.

He was almost out of visa, or extension. 

So no doubt overstay now.

Someone had dropped him with the police instead of immigration Jomtien. 

He didn't have the 300 for a taxi to Jomtien. 

Yes, the police really are helping him.

Some very helpful and caring front office staff there.

They contacted the embassy when I was there.

And were arranging to get him to Jomtien. 

This was the 19th December. 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is kind of an unusual situation for the Thai police to find a homeless elderly foreigner outside of the police station. Ever since immigration got stuff together last year I haven’t been hearing very many stories like this anymore. I remember a time here years ago when there were stories of homeless foreigners in Thailand all the time. Not so much anymore thanks to immigration tightening everything up. And now immigration is slowly loosening up a little bit because of the bad Thai economy. 

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Where does it say he had a Thai family, wife or girlfriend? Too much jumping to conclusions with a measure of veiled thai bashing thrown in. Where were all the members of the legendary farang brotherhood to help him out?

Possibly just an old derelict alchoholic who finally ran out of money.

See my post.

Not an alcoholic. 

But certainly destitute. 

10 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

See my post.

Not an alcoholic. 

But certainly destitute. 

Thank you for your post. Mine was written hours ago before your update.

Who dropped him off at the police station? An evil thai wife or girlfriend seems to be the most popular conspiracy theory amongst the posting fraternity.

8 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Totally wrong. 

As I stated earlier in the thread, the veracity of what was on social media was not proven (like just about anything that appears on this is suspect)

s known to some bar people. 

there's some big missing pieces in your or his account, lived here with 'friends' for 10 years? And what happened to these friends? There must of been an impetus to his predicament and I doubt meeting this guy for 10 minutes he's going to open up to you with the complete truth. Personally, although sad, I don't care what the reason was but your account was nonsensical..

11 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Totally wrong. 

Where’s his money then? A friend? Who’s the friend? Why hasn’t/isn’t the friend stepping forward?

No good answers to basic questions yet.

Something is amiss with the story. 

I have a strong suspicion that a woman problem(s) and alcohol play a significant role in this story. 

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

if my wife is correct about the alcoholic behavior, they simply may have had enough of the bs and didn't know what else to do, it's not like the west where there is rehab places aplenty or common knowledge on how to deal with this..

Hard to see how an 80 year old in a wheel chair can pursue 'alcoholic behaviour'.

If he was a drunk, someone must have been giving it to him.

More likely some Thai lady was abusing him and stealing his pension.

Thais have no mercy and often mistreat the elderly ....... or anyone in their power for that matter.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Hard to see how an 80 year old in a wheel chair can pursue 'alcoholic behaviour'.

If he was a drunk, someone must have been giving it to him.

More likely some Thai lady was abusing him and stealing his pension.

Thais have no mercy and often mistreat the elderly ....... or anyone in their power for that matter.

and probably ended up in Thailand after being screwed over by some UK lady in his divorce..

16 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

As I stated earlier in the thread, the veracity of what was on social media was not proven (like just about anything that appears on this is suspect)

s known to some bar people. 

there's some big missing pieces in your or his account, lived here with 'friends' for 10 years? And what happened to these friends? There must of been an impetus to his predicament and I doubt meeting this guy for 10 minutes he's going to open up to you with the complete truth. Personally, although sad, I don't care what the reason was but your account was nonsensical..

I just posted similar concerns about his story. 
Alcoholics lie. That’s part of the MO. Denial. Just because you hang out with someone for an hour doesn’t mean you can make a thorough mental evaluation. 

There’s a huge probability that the old man is a chronic alcoholic that has been abandoned by whomever had control of his finances including his living arrangements.

The preceding is PURE conjecture on my part but is based on many previous encounters and interactions with homeless, drug and alcohol addicts and the like. 

At this point too many unknowns. 

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

Exactly. Most of the Brits in Thailand appear to have been dumped here. No wonder they're miserable. 

Hope this guy gets back safely and into one of those fantastic UK elder homes.

What country do you come from then?

Relevant here :

It appears that British pensions are a bit delayed. As a pensioner he would surely have received his state pension by now unless it's late.

I wonder if this explains why he had no money and was dumped at the police station by his loving and caring friends.

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Are you serious?

Ive seen them drink until they fall out of the wheelchair. Some even tie themselves in with a belt or a rope so as not to fall out. 
There’s a vivid, cruel, strange world out there. 

6 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

A victim of on O A retirement extensions  and no way would get let alone afford insurance for upcoming renewal?

At least he now being repatriated to a presumably safer environment.

His money could have run out, his state pension could have been frozen for the last 15 years by the the deplorable thieving British government.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

The people who should be ashamed are those who dropped the guy off at the police. I mean.. wife.. gf.. relatives. All these should come before the cops. 

Yes, the British government for withholding his state pension annual increases for the last 15 years.

23 minutes ago, TexasFlyer said:

Are you serious?

Ive seen them drink until they fall out of the wheelchair. Some even tie themselves in with a belt or a rope so as not to fall out. 
There’s a vivid, cruel, strange world out there. 

unfortunately I've also seen similar, although liver failure or suicide will usually take them prior to this..

Where I come from they’d first give him a room with three hot squares/day then sign him up for every free benefit program available (including his wife, children and grandchildren and relatives) then give him a loan to buy a house. Not to mention paying little or no tax on income. 

Very soon he and his relatives would not only have a better cable package than you but they’d be living above the level of the average citizen. 

I’m sure you can guess where I’m from!

Come one, come all to the tit of the world!

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

Hope this guy gets back safely and into one of those fantastic UK elder homes.

Thats  Plan B, for me .

God bless UK, and all it,s taxpayers ..

Take not and please respect these elders regardless of race. I helped a old Thai on a road to shop my Thai wife couldn't believe because lm not the nicest at times. As l said to her respect your elders one day you to will need help. I have done this at bike accidents while Thais do nothing.

Good on the police thanks.

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

If the poor old fella has been here a while the warm Tory welcome will be your not entitled to anything here is a blanket a foodbank voucher and your NHS bill ????

he's white and british, well deserving of a decent and free NHS treatment

sorry if this comment upsets the lefties, who wish horrible deaths among the centrists and rights

8 hours ago, dyertribe said:

I'd like to know the back story of how he got there ... I suspect that he became too much of a bother for his Thai family ...

Elder dumping is a problem in many countries, especially at this time of the year sadly.

He's no use to 'em any more if no more money is coming in because his pension has been cancelled. At least they didn't chuck him on the barbeque like they did that other old boy a few years back.

The UK Govt stop your pension if they don't hear from you or they think you're dead.

23 minutes ago, TexasFlyer said:

Where I come from they’d first give him a room with three hot squares/day then sign him up for every free benefit program available (including his wife, children and grandchildren and relatives) then give him a loan to buy a house. Not to mention paying little or no tax on income. 

Very soon he and his relatives would not only have a better cable package than you but they’d be living above the level of the average citizen. 

I’m sure you can guess where I’m from!

Come one, come all to the tit of the world!

Germany?

Archived