Pattaya: Pitiful old man at the police station will be "repatriated to Britain"

webfact

53 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I was for about 20 years, but nothing like as old as this guy.

This story also illustrates that unlike in the UK (or some other places), there's no support or safety net for people like this.

that would require a strict structured tax system to support it, hard to do if the majority of workers are earning the wages they do here..

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, colinneil said:

ISNT IT PATHETIC, that after Pattaya plod were shamed on social media, they are suddenly going out of their way to help the man.

Shame on you sad individuals, ohh look at me helping the poor old man.

Well regardless of whether or not it was his fault he was in that situation it’s their job they’re the police. I really don’t care for the term “pitiful old man” though. The man looks like he could be in his 90’s so it’s not necessarily his fault he was in that situation and who knows if he might have been robbed or something. It does happen. 

8 minutes ago, daiwill60 said:

The UK embassy will be looking for relatives to foot the bill for sending him home, no doubt, and to take care of him and remove the burden on the NHS once he arrives there.  We definitley need more background info on this case before judging the poor old guy.

Not convinced his embassy can forced his family/relatives to pay for the repatriation costs. 

This is another reason why we’re planning on going back to the United States some day in maybe 5 to 10 years from now because there’s still a lot of other places I want to go besides here, and it’s important that I make sure my wife has access to the best possible medical care when she gets older especially and because if I live to be his age (I doubt I’ll live that long) I wouldn’t want that happening to me. 

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

ISNT IT PATHETIC, that after Pattaya plod were shamed on social media, they are suddenly going out of their way to help the man.

And:- "Officials were seen posing with him." What a surprise!

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

that would require a strict structured tax system to support it, hard to do if the majority of workers are earning the wages they do here..

Absolutely true.

Also, many of the wealthy probably paying next to nothing in taxes?

4 minutes ago, Older and Wiser said:

Isn't charity one of the pillars of Budhism? Not only to monks but also to the needy?

Very true. 

Also, I've often wondered how a Buddhist country like Thailand squares the use of the death penalty with their Buddhist beliefs??????

4 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

this is the weirdest and saddest story ever. also why did they toss him into the back of a pickup truck? a van wouldn't suffice well enough?

still wondering how he ended up there in the first place

I hope the strap him into the chair and tie the chair down properly before driving off...

11 minutes ago, TexasFlyer said:

Pitiful old man after barfining his last go go girl in 2005, on a 5,111 day overstay was fined 20,000 baht, banned from re-entry for life, served lunch, and immediately deported back to UK strapped to the back of a tuk tuk. 

I can actually imagine how a tuk tuk would strap a wheelchair and old man on the back and drive to the airport. Would be fun.

Anyway, hope the embassy makes an exception for people this old and helps him get back fast.
I never want to end like this, that is for sure. Rather die younger, rock and roll life.

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

according to the what the wife read online this was a self induced issue with the drug alcohol involved..

Huh the man looks like he’s possibly in his 90’s, but it’s possible I guess maybe if that’s something which messed up his life when he was younger or maybe he wasn’t as old as he looked in the picture. Because usually people addicted to hard drugs or even alcoholics don’t live as old as him unless it’s part of his distant past or something. Who knows at least he’s getting helped. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Soiled clothing and shoes were found in a pile as Thais coming and going at the station called for help for the pitiful man.

The police shamed into doing something once the media were on the case.... as for "going beyond duty as friends" at this time of year they should feel ashamed!

6 hours ago, dyertribe said:

I'd like to know the back story of how he got there ... I suspect that he became too much of a bother for his Thai family ...

Elder dumping is a problem in many countries, especially at this time of the year sadly.

Remember folks...

A lovable old man is not just for Christmas!  The old peoples homes are full of abandoned ones.  So it may seem like a good idea to get one for the kids to play with over the holidays but after the parties are over they still need looking after. 

31 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I hope the strap him into the chair and tie the chair down properly before driving off...

Well we’re in Thailand and something tells me that the man probably can’t afford a handicapped accessible van or something. They did help him can’t they ever do any right? 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

And they really believe that they went beyond their remit. " going beyond duty as friends " to help this poor Gentleman.

What a really sad excuse for Human Beings some RTP Officers are, and that also goes for the low life that subjected this man to such a humiliating ordeal by leaving him there in the first place.

I hope that one day all the Bad will come back to them.

If I ever get as bad as them PLEASE>>> Somebody shoot me.

Just One Phone call to the British Consular in Bangkok several days ago, was all it would have taken to stop this shameful experience for this poor man.

I now wish him God Speed, and best Wishes for the future.

Archived