Another kind of Thai racism

CNXexpat

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

Surely not allowing dogs cannot be racist .

If they just disallowed certain kinds of dogs, then, that would be racist 

That would be cynophobia, fear (hatred) of dogs.  Fear of Indian dogs would be xenophobic cynophobia. The Americans have it all figured out.

10 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I don’t consider that racism but targeted marketing instead.

Agreed. A "national" group now a large segment of the tourist market yet don't shop much in Central. Makes sense to make them feel more welcome and encourage them to spend more there. Hardly a big promotion, just a little something. Not even written in Hindi. ????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Not even written in Hindi

Quite stupid move as it would have avoided excitement among most of the expat (TV) community.

Similar to what they do with dual pricing, writing Thai prices in Thai/Thai numerals for most tourists to hide.

11 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Racism means, that one group gets an advantage or disadvantage. Like "Black people have not the right to sit in a bus, but they are allowed to stand".

Surely in this case Indians have an advantage and other races have a disadvantage?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rabas said:

That would be cynophobia, fear (hatred) of dogs.  Fear of Indian dogs would be xenophobic cynophobia. The Americans have it all figured out.

I see in the USA they sometimes allow dogs in flight cabins....emotional support animals. Would cynophobia trump that?

Regardless of how we understand it, explain it or classify the issue as being racist or not, any differentiation of one group by another excluding one or an other group is distasteful, and when based on nationality or perceived race (and even race) is socially clumsy and ignorant. 

I had to point this out with a Thai friend when he wanted to run a promotion in a bar, he wanted to attract more Westerners so offered a Westerner specific discount because Westerners drink more (in his idea). I asked him what if a Thai drank more, does he not deserve the same discount?... I had to explain that the discount is a good promotion but basing it on nationality or race would alienate and upset potential customers, offer the discount equally.

My friend understood, but it took some explanation to change his mind from what he initially thought was a good idea. Unfortunately many do not have 'people' around them to discuss such matter as such innocent ignorance and clumsiness commonly rears their ugly head in public. 

For the most part these issues are innocent, but as often reported on ThaiVisa.com can often offend when on the extremes of the 'innocently ignorant' spectrum in some cases leaning towards outright racism. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Only Indians can take up the offer. Of course it's blatant racism.

Can you imagine the same offer being promoted in the UK? Think about it.

Firstly it woukd be illegal and secondly I guarantee that you would have a flash mob of protesters outside the store in minutes.

It would also be on the front page of every newspaper in the land.

The UK is too PC in my opinion. I have no issue if discounts or ‘special offers’ (as in this case) are being offered to selected groups. 
Blatant racism is 80% of the posts on TVF. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I don’t consider that racism but targeted marketing instead. Racism would be to say that a certain race of people are not welcome, much like what a Western nation did in China a long time back (Dogs and Chinese not allowed into parks). 

...exactly what the sign says...all else do not qualify...obvious discrimination.

Is an Indian passport holder indicative of race?

There are many British passport holders of Indian heritage who wouldn't

qualify for the voucher because they have the wrong passport.

I've just had a quick check online, to get Indian citizenship is quite a 

laborious task. It seem you have to be resident there for 12 years and

jump through a whole load of other hoops, so I probably wouldn't bother.

Not for 100 baht, that's for sure.

Edited by shy coconut

13 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

But you said yourself that racism is when one group gets an advantage ...Genuinely, I’m confused 

Vietnam and Thailand are members of ASEAN and have signed up to cross-border arrangements, as have members of the EU - do you think a Thai can enter EU for 16 days visa exempt?

11 minutes ago, CelticTam said:

Vietnam and Thailand are members of ASEAN and have signed up to cross-border arrangements, as have members of the EU - do you think a Thai can enter EU for 16 days visa exempt?

I suggest you read the thread fully before posting and removing all doubts.