New import duty collection push

MeHere

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The BKK Post had an article only on Dec. 18 on the topic saying a tax reform committee had endorsed eliminating the VAT exemption, and that the proposal would need to be forwarded to the government for consideration and approval.  Kind of hard to imagine they got it approved and documented in just the past week for implementation by Jan. 1.

I am not sure where I heard that. I may be mistaken. I will be happy if that is true, because I still have shipments enroute.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Please provide a source reference for your statement

Enter. Thanks.

Sorry; it was all in Thai and on my wife's phone. Being that she has so many contacts, feeds and such, I won't be able to dig it up. try searching "Line News"

16 hours ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

I think you are incorrect about no annual tax in Thailand. My wife pays taxes on her properties every year.

It's very low, and (apparently) a lot of people ignore it but I think it's there. 

We, along with all our relatives, going back generations, have never paid a satang in annual property tax. My mother-in-law has bought and sold numerous properties. If they had unpaid back taxes, they would have been discovered.

Does your wife work from home? Could it be considered a place of business? Maybe it is considered a "shop house" due to location.

23 hours ago, Just Weird said:

All the courier companies do, they have to, as they're contracted by the Customs Dept to collect duty on behalf of the department.

Answered yourself,  don't use a courier, arrange through Thai post, then no problem, most know this?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 8:07 PM, Monomial said:

I am not sure where I heard that. I may be mistaken. I will be happy if that is true, because I still have shipments enroute.

Subsequent to these late Dec. posts, I had a couple low-value packages arrive from the U.S. here in the past week or so, and they were delivered to home as usual by ThaiPost with no customs duty or VAT assessed. Same as always.

So at least for now, the small package, 1500b value or less customs duty/VAT exemption still appears to be in effect. But I'm assuming, based on what the govt. officials have said, that its days of remaining life are numbered.

Order duty-free while you can....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

PS... one of the odd things I don't understand about this issue from the original OP report....

There was a govt guy there saying they needed to start taxing imported packages in order to avoid having a big trade surplus with China.

And yet (while I don't order from China generally), I've seen other posters here re Aliexpress and such say there's a current FTA agreement between China and Thailand that allows tax free imports from China....

So if they're going to abolish the up to 1500 baht valuation small package exemption for customs/tax, is that also going to apply to packages incoming from China, or the supposed FTA is going to continue to protect imports from China?

I'm pretty sure, there's not going to be any way out for packages sent from the U.S. if they end up abolishing the small package exemption.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 1/1/2020 at 10:40 AM, Curt1591 said:

We, along with all our relatives, going back generations, have never paid a satang in annual property tax. My mother-in-law has bought and sold numerous properties. If they had unpaid back taxes, they would have been discovered.

It's about 20bht/year on chanoted property, most of the time the land office just adds it to the bill on sale/purchase.

So small you'd never normally notice it, and if your land ownership is something other than chanote, there's no tax.

Edited by BritManToo