The most problems I've ever had in Thailand are in relation to dogs.

4 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

This morning I was taking my soi dog for a walk

...that made me think ... is there such a thing as "... my soi dog?"

Either you own a pet and take care of it in your place or not? 

Edited by RedPill
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Both points are valid. A 3 year old should never be permitted to roam unsupervised, the streets should be safe from strays which could potentially bite a child.

When walking down the pavements are Bangkok there are many hazards. When younger I used to have to pick up my child as I passed the dogs sitting outside the 7-11's etc or at the very least place myself between the dog and the child. Of-course, all the dogs were placid and never gave a second of attention to myself and a passing child, however, taking a precaution costs us nothing. The same goes for walking down the pavement with a small child and passing cooking stalls with boiling oil at face height (for a child), I'd have to pick up and carry my son as a precaution. 

The issue with all this is that Thailand is not a safe country and we know that. But, dogs, have do and will attack children. The reasons are many, perhaps the dogs have been teased and abused by small kids, who knows. But an innocent child (or adult) need to be protected from unnecessary risk. 

There is a Dog in our street, the dog (looks like a Golden retriever or Labrador) barks loudly at children as they pass. I'm not sure if this dog could jump the fence. The kids are frightened of the dog. I'm not sure of the dog is being boisterous or aggressive. I'm not sure if the dog jumped the fence it would attack a child or not. 

Either way, I don't take the chance and either I or my Wife are in the street supervising my Child when he's outside playing (he's 6). 

You are as most of the time correct. It is parents responsibility to look after the kids and foresee possible dangers.

in case of burriram attack , it was not even in the city but out in the wild , snakes, ditches, ponds , and all the rest . My dogs hate kids across the gate because kids tease them , but very friendly when in contact with kids and do not see any danger . But that does not mean I will leave a kid alone with my dogs. Not because I do not trust the dogs but because kids are kids and may do something silly like pull tongue or tail or try to take toy away. Dog may not attack but even a little bite can do big damage to young kids 

6 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

My adopted dog pack, that lived on Wong Amat Beach, was rounded up, and then fed to crocodiles. The low life that ordered it was a developer from Bangkok.

The dogs were semi-domesticated - thus harmless; consequently, children loved to play with them.

DSC_0000005a.jpg

DSC_0000006.jpg

DSC00367.JPG

Many soi dogs aren't as nice as those though, I've been bitten, a tourist policewoman i know was bitten the other day, Pattaya City Hall seem to think it's ok with so many soi dogs, they aren't interested.

There must be 100+ soi dogs around Pratamak area

Edited by scubascuba3

22 hours ago, Hans007 said:

I onow its not make me popular....but here it goes:

They should realy kill all stray dogs in thailand....for sire in turist areas. Too many....too dangerous. My gf was bitten last august....police did not do anything. Hospital bill was about 7.000 bath..(realy) I myself got attacked 2 days ago while riding scooter...got lucky.

Thais are too ignorant to handle this problem.

Hans.

Seems to me that the problem is more with you than the dogs. I don’t however advocate killing people who don’t like dogs.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Use a bow and golf ball "pointed" arrows to salve dog problems. I find the weird fascination with dogs, particularly in a third world country difficult to comprehend. Need for servility? Or is it delegated agression?

Wow what a horrible attitude 

19 hours ago, RedPill said:

...that made me think ... is there such a thing as "... my soi dog?"

Either you own a pet and take care of it in your place or not? 

Yes there is such a thing. I have “my”dogs in various places I visit. Some are Soi dogs, some beach dogs and some are dogs that I know are taken care of by other people. The dogs know me and get excited when they see me, sometimes after many months. I’m always finding new “friends” too.

I rarely feed any of these dogs but I do watch over their health. In my car I always have sachets of medicinal powder which mixed with food cures mange and various other parasites including worms. Mange is common but easily cured. The pictures show a dog in Prachuab, before and about 2 months after having a powder.

image.thumb.jpeg.40dfb1dd8cf0df865783068a24968c61.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.47a63d3cc507c8bdc173054a970179c1.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm lucky that my neighbors dogs usually only bark during the day.. she has 7 small dogs and they are completely untrained / out of control. 

I don't have a big problem with it... Just happy they don't bark at night LOL

We have 3 homes within 30 metres of our back fence - each has 3 or more dogs. They are a pack of the worst behaved mongrels (the canines) I've seen. All day and night they howl and roam the street attacking anything that comes near. Last week a particularly vicious black specimen jumped into our fenced yard and attacked our two house dogs, killing the smaller one. In retaliation my sons and I have declared war on them for the last 5 days and any dog that comes to our boundary is on the receiving end of multiple marbles and rocks launched from slingshots. The message seems to have got through to the dogs and we have been enjoying some peace and quiet. My neighbours haven't complained one bit ????.

• Like 2

A few clues from your post OP of your character. (1)Why do you call your dog a soi dog? Surely its your pet and part of the family not something that roams outside. (2) Why on earth would you go running around the soi's here no wonder you get attacked, I bet your dog is not on a lead. (3) Cheap Charlie comes to mind. If you live in an area surrounded by Thai's your problem. I love living over here but no way would I live in a mainly Thai area.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, GalaxyMan said:

What a terrible attitude! I live in a Thai neighborhood and love it. I'm the only farang and the people couldn't be nicer. You couldn't pay me to live in a farang compound.

Then more fool you I am afraid. I hate being surrounded by Thai's, even my wife's family. The only reason I live here is the great life living near the sea, the beautiful girls and the nightlife. Anyone who seriously believes living in Nakon nowhere are deluded. Give me my secure gated community anytime. Keep those noisy locals out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

What a terrible attitude! I live in a Thai neighborhood and love it. I'm the only farang and the people couldn't be nicer. You couldn't pay me to live in a farang compound.

I live in an entirely Thai gated community. They ignore me, and I ignore them.

(Actually one of them just brought round a bucket of KFC for me and my son, while they chat with my gf outside. Free food and they don't expect me to sit with them after the initial wais all round, almost perfect)

You couldn't pay me to live anywhere I was expected to chat with the neighbours (in any language).

Edited by BritManToo

My next door neighbours are quite hi-so Thais and have a big expensive house. However, they have nine dogs inside a walled garden which to my knowledge have never been walked. There is almost constant barking and howling from there day and night. These people aren't your normal village peasants, they're obviously well educated and have pots of money. They're quite friendly and the wife gets all stressed when I suggest that I go around and complain in case we make enemies of them. Also, it'd probably do no good, because if they haven't the common sense to realise that their mutts are annoying us, then they wouldn't take kindly to us bringing it their attention. Occasionally I snap and yell at them to be quiet, so the neighbours can't have failed to hear me, yet they let the dogs continue with their noise. If I were running the government here I'd introduce dog licenses (again!) and make them really expensive, but first, I'd make anyone applying for one take a course in dog care. Just like a car or motorbike license. Also, any dogs found wandering the sois not on a leash, with or without collar would be put down. It'd be too time consuming trying to find all the owners, who'd probably deny ownership anyway. Shame the owners can't be put down instead, but there you go. Another thing I'd do is limit ownership to one dog per household, too many people here, Thai and farang appear to think that it's compulsory to have half a dozen or so of the festering things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

ecause if they haven't the common sense to realise that their mutts are annoying us, then they wouldn't take kindly to us bringing it their attention.

It's not that they 'don't realise', they just don't care about you, your comfort, or what you think.

That's how the wealthy behave all over the world.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, jimn said:

A few clues from your post OP of your character. (1)Why do you call your dog a soi dog? Surely its your pet and part of the family not something that roams outside. (2) Why on earth would you go running around the soi's here no wonder you get attacked, I bet your dog is not on a lead. (3) Cheap Charlie comes to mind. If you live in an area surrounded by Thai's your problem. I love living over here but no way would I live in a mainly Thai area.

You want to live in Thailand but not amongst Thai people? I find that disgusting. A few clues from your post too, all of which point to you really being not very nice.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2019 at 11:35 AM, Momofarang said:

Use a bow and golf ball "pointed" arrows to salve dog problems. I find the weird fascination with dogs, particularly in a third world country difficult to comprehend. Need for servility? Or is it delegated agression?

Disgusting. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Yes there is such a thing. I have “my”dogs in various places I visit. Some are Soi dogs, some beach dogs and some are dogs that I know are taken care of by other people. The dogs know me and get excited when they see me, sometimes after many months. I’m always finding new “friends” too.

I rarely feed any of these dogs but I do watch over their health. In my car I always have sachets of medicinal powder which mixed with food cures mange and various other parasites including worms. Mange is common but easily cured. The pictures show a dog in Prachuab, before and about 2 months after having a powder.

image.thumb.jpeg.40dfb1dd8cf0df865783068a24968c61.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.47a63d3cc507c8bdc173054a970179c1.jpeg

Good man. We need more like you on these pages, and in Thailand generally.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I have only ever been in two physical altercations in all my trips to Thailand. Once in Bangkok and once in Phuket. Both over what I deemed to be bad mistreatment of animals 

I won both said fights, but lost both wars that followed. Such is life in Thailand 

On 12/28/2019 at 11:08 AM, sammieuk1 said:

I suppose if all else fails you could move to Vietnam I hear dogs are less of a problem there and you can get your own back on biting dogs????

Even though they eat dogs in Vietnam they also treat them far better as pets than their Thai counterparts I would say. That was one of the glaring differences to me between the two countries.