Can't Breathe: Help!

SaamBaht

Hey Gang,

I was wondering how you all handle the smoke in Thailand and if there is a magical smoke free region of the country. I have really been feeling the effects. I have difficulty breathing and I'm having a hard time reading to my children because of a lack of oxygen. I do have air purifiers in all our bedrooms but they are a bit on the cheap side. Do the expensive ones really work? Does sealing the cracks and crevices really work? Those old wood window in our home are never really air tight. 

Any thoughts or experiences? 

Cheers!

1. Buy a good air purifier which also filters the 2.5 particles. I have Xiaomi Mi Air Purifiers 2, which are working very good. Price at Lazada around 3,000 Baht.

2. Change your windows to some they really close. If air can come in, also particles can come in. I built double glass windows in my bedroom. Or, cheaper version, buy some special rubber at HomePro to close the gaps.

3. Close always all windows and doors.

Outside my house are AQI 150, inside right now 20. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Relocate to Da Nang in Vietnam. Nice city and good air.

My brother moved to Da Nang from Chang Mai and always talks about how nice the cool ocean breeze is there everyday.   He says the air is much cleaner there but says that in the summertime it does get very hot and muggy.  I am looking forward to visiting him soon.

4 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

My brother moved to Da Nang from Chang Mai and always talks about how nice the cool ocean breeze is there everyday.   He says the air is much cleaner there but says that in the summertime it does get very hot and muggy.  I am looking forward to visiting him soon.

Well, in the 6 weeks in April/May Chiang Mai and the north are the hottest place in Thailand with up to 43 C. I am sure it´s less hot in Da Nang.

6 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

I think the humidity is the killer there in the summer.

Check this site
https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainfall-Temperature-Sunshine,da-nang,Vietnam

And compare with this site
https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainfall-Temperature-Sunshine,Chiang-Mai,Thailand

Edited by CNXexpat
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SaamBaht said:

Hey Gang,

I was wondering how you all handle the smoke in Thailand and if there is a magical smoke free region of the country. I have really been feeling the effects. I have difficulty breathing and I'm having a hard time reading to my children because of a lack of oxygen. I do have air purifiers in all our bedrooms but they are a bit on the cheap side. Do the expensive ones really work? Does sealing the cracks and crevices really work? Those old wood window in our home are never really air tight. 

Any thoughts or experiences? 

Cheers!

In the whole Thailand?

You have known about the poor air quality in most of Thailand for years now...

Do what you have to do to protect your health and that of your family...

What kind of quality of life is it when you baracade yourself in your own home?

Go South Thailand...or another country...do not procrastinate...

Edited by Puchaiyank
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

1. Buy a good air purifier which also filters the 2.5 particles. I have Xiaomi Mi Air Purifiers 2, which are working very good. Price at Lazada around 3,000 Baht.

2. Change your windows to some they really close. If air can come in, also particles can come in. I built double glass windows in my bedroom. Or, cheaper version, buy some special rubber at HomePro to close the gaps.

3. Close always all windows and doors.

Outside my house are AQI 150, inside right now 20. 

Thanks for the reply! As some have said, I should move. They're right, but it's a little more complicated than that. But good advice. I'm going to get that purifier for sure. Changing my windows on a rental property is more problematic. I may have to go ghetto and tape them shut as best I can. I will look into the rubber at HomePro. 

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, saengd said:

Wrap your air conditioner air intake filters with 3M's Filtrete and run them on fan only, not expensive and very effective, change the filtrete every couple of weeks, available from the 3M shop and sometimes from Homepro.

Solid advice! Great tip. Thanks. I will get that. 

• Like 1

An even better idea is to try and rig up a PIV (Positive Input Ventilation) unit, they are designed to create positive air pressure inside the living space and filter the air. 

I have one in my flat in the UK, the purpose is to reduce condensation in the flat during wintertime when there's nobody there. The unit comprises a variable speed fan encased in a large plastic body, the air intake is in the attic and is encased in a nano-filter, the unit discharges into the living space via the hallway ceiling. 

Even on the lowest setting the unit creates positive air pressure in the living space which prevents dirty air from being pulled in to the flat from outside via gaps around windows and doors, it also pushes any dirty air out via those cracks and gaps. A combination of a PIV and filtrete or similar would give you almost perfectly clean air all the time.

The cost of the unit in the UK is about GBP 400 but they are too large to import plus there would probably be significant import tax involved. It would be possible to make one but you'd need to find a single point for the air intake that could be easily filtered and and filters easily changed. Here's the one I have:

https://www.nuaire.co.uk/residential/positive-input-ventilation

1 hour ago, SaamBaht said:

Thanks for the reply! As some have said, I should move. They're right, but it's a little more complicated than that. But good advice. I'm going to get that purifier for sure. Changing my windows on a rental property is more problematic. I may have to go ghetto and tape them shut as best I can. I will look into the rubber at HomePro. 

Thanks!

Yea just tape them.  I dont live in a rental but didnt want to change out the wood windows either.   I bought a Xiaomi air filter that works well for the house.  But moving or at least relocating for half the year seems to be the only real solution. 
I see a reading of 240 at San Kamphaeng hospital this morning! Government announced over the PA system in the Lamphun province that people should burn often rather than waiting until they have a larger pile to burn.  Classic Thai non solution to a problem.   

Edited by sletraveler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update:

The air up here in Khon Kaen is worse than ever! Last night as the moon rose so did the smoke. It reached 159 during the night and it's 153 as I write this post at 10 a.m. 

I have the air purifier on order as well as the filtrate. I have done my best to seal my home. We did a good job on the master bedroom and the kid's room.

However, last night the smoke was so bad in my bedroom that I slept downstairs. How can the smoke be getting in? Well, it finally dawned on my that we have four vents in two places up near the ceiling trusses. Those vents are sucking in all that smoke and it's seeping below the ceiling tiles and into our rooms! I pushed up one of the ceiling tiles this morning and the smoke nearly choked me. Unbelievable!

I'm planning on covering those vents on Monday. It still won't be air tight but I'm curious how it improves the situation. I'm also wondering how vital those vents are in keeping the house cool, but if it's heat versus smoke, I'll take the heat anytime. 

Cheers for all your suggestions!