43 killed on first of '7 dangerous days'

rooster59

6 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

whereas these figures are awful they are in fact slightly LOWER than on normal days. 

Lets also bear in mind that although EVERY YEAR the government has some similar safety campaign, the figures remain pretty much without significant change.

One must therefore conclude that whatever the authorities have been doing for the past 20 years or more DOES NOT WORK..

even though the numbers may be lower, it is very unlikely that ANY police or government measure has ever had any significant effect though. The "improvement" is far more likely to be a result of the nature of te traffic over the holiday period - e.g. commercial traffic, and people actually working.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Anon 

As you will probably know there are no accurate motor vehicle  fatality rates in Thailand as the figures do not include those who die after the incident in hospital .  Basic traffic safety education should start at school ( as well as mandatory swimming lessons ) but apathy rules here it seems . How often have you seen 10 year old kids riding a motor cycle to school without a helmet ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, saengd said:

"Vehicles involved in most accidents were motorcycles (80.08 per cent).”

That says it all for me.

But there are not 80% of motorcyclists at fault;
many accidents involve a motorcycle with a larger vehicle that is at fault; but the poor occupants of the motorcycle have no protection even if they carry a plastic bowl on their heads.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:
8 hours ago, saengd said:

"Vehicles involved in most accidents were motorcycles (80.08 per cent).”

That says it all for me.

But there are not 80% of motorcyclists at fault;
many accidents involve a motorcycle with a larger vehicle that is at fault; but the poor occupants of the motorcycle have no protection even if they carry a plastic bowl on their heads.

Agreed...  but I'll add some 'anecdotal' information on this. I ride a motorcycle and also drive a car in Thailand. 

It is the other motorcyclists who pose the most risk to me when I'm out riding a motorcycle, delivery vans and works pickups are next in line for the degree of danger they present to others on the roads. 

For the most part I find cars surprisingly courteous, but of course, when they are not the motorcyclist is the weak link. 

In light of my experiences of riding and driving in Thailand, when 80% of the motorcyclists become the victims it wouldn't be too far from the mark to suggest that most of them were the architects of their own downfall, either through lack of defensive riding or through outright stupidity - A harsh opinion, but one I've come to develop from riding and driving around Thailand. 

Obviously there is a lot more too this issue which has numerous facets of 'cause and effect' from road design, poor quality roads, poor training, lack of enforcement, poorly maintained vehicles, a lack of responsibility for others, a 'so what' attitude of drivers in general etc etc 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prairieboy said:

According to the Phuket News:  " Nationwide, Thailand so far has suffered 74 deaths and 3,777 people injured in 3,851 road accidents on Day 1 of the campaign." 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-seven-days-death-too-early-to-be-counted-in-new-year-road-safety-campaign-74182.php

So is it 43 or 74 or will we ever know the true figure?

That's the one..normally you can budget between 70- and 80 per day.I believe the higher figure is more accurate.

Thais are shadow players and they dearly love the Potemkin village that they have created for themselves.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, superal said:

As you will probably know there are no accurate motor vehicle  fatality rates in Thailand as the figures do not include those who die after the incident in hospital . 

You clearly dont know how sats are gathered in Thailand as your premise is incorrect.

Thai stats are unreliable, as they are for many countries but your premise is a myth. It is of course obvious that stats released so close to the event will not include those who die later, but it does not apply to how final stats are gathered. Firstly the police/hospital bulletins are only part of the picture which is then further analysed by orgs such as WHO. Believe me, they are old hands at making sense of stats from all over the world.

Furthermore, you show no difference in your perception to anyone in authority in Thailand who obsess with single issues and think that "bad driving" is some simplistic cause of the high fatalities. As said, this has lead to no significant change for decades.

So like the authorities, your incomplete understanding will just perpetuate the no change scenario.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Ive always found that strange get a ticket and your good to go, in the UK they take the vehicle off you, then pay to get it back within one week or it gets scrapped 

I always found that odd too.

Same in the US, when your car gets impounded the fee to get it out can be a helluva lot more than the ticket, and I'm sure the same is true in almost all Western countries

• Like 1

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/road-death-toll-jumps-to-109-in-first-two-days-of-safe-driving-campaign/

Authorities have been instructed to tighten up traffic controls in high risk areas as the death toll for the first two days of the seven-day dangerous travel period over the New Year holidays increased from 43 to 109 and the number of injured rose by 527 to 993.

10 hours ago, Chazar said:
11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

or witness a road accident, contact hotline 1784 or 1669.

Id  be on the phone  all  day

You will be on the phone all day if you witness bad and dangerous driving ????

54 minutes ago, Trevor Collins said:

If the authorities are serious about cutting the number of road deaths all year round, then start giving out long term prison sentences for those caught drink-driving. A wai and a 5000 THB fine isn't going to cut it in the 21st century. 

It all means nothing if it is not adequately and evenly enforced.  Just watch in a major tourist center as tourists and poor thais are pulled over all the time on motorbikes while the illegally tinted sedans cruise by unaffected.  Just watch as four thais on motorbikes with no helmets cruise through a helmet checkpoint while a farang with a helmet is ticketed for his passenger without one... just another day in Tland. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Ban them for a year, take their vehicle away and crush it, send them to a barracks for 6 months to do some training... no alcohol allowed.

Sure? This sign says "Drive slowly if you are drunk".

Drunk.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Instead of showing a childish cartoon at the head of the report, instead of turning the carnage into a joke, how about a photo of a mangled body covered in blood, maybe decapitated. Or is reality too hard to handle?

Perhaps a couple of them? This is a real photo and they should show them what could happen if.........

dead motorbike rider taxi ba dhelmet.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dcnx said:

It rained a bit today. Excellent excuse for more accidents and deaths.

Not really an excuse. Too many riders just don't know that pulling the front ( disc) brake too hard will automatically drop you off.

The front brake delivers about 70 % and when it's raining, a guaranteed accident pulling it too much.

Rear brakes with shoes are just a joke. 

10 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

I,am waiting for the final count and day to see how close it is to the last year or greater if possible.but it is looking good so far and new year is a few days away still

It will be same same, but different. 

If the population is growing and the number of expatriates is dropping, suppose the figures will be higher, and a larger percentage of home grown lemmings will die.

They all drive with the same "Jack" principle. 

<deleted> you, I'm alright Jack...

Que sera sera.