US man detained in Thailand over bullet in luggage

webfact

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Do you drive a car here?  What shakedowns have you experienced?

I've been driving here for over 20 years.  I've only ever been in trouble when I've done something wrong (illegal U-turns and the like).  I've also had a couple of tickets in the post.  Been stopped at many checkpoints but always waved through when I've showed my license.  I've also been stopped and breathalysed twice and then thanked and waved away when I've passed.  

I've been involved in two major accidents here - neither my fault but the other driver tried to blame me in both cases.  Police came down on my side in both cases and I was treated very courteously and fairly.

I understand motorbikes are more troublesome as they can stop you for many technical reasons that are hard to avoid (going outside the left lane, using a flyover etc).

So tell me about your shakedowns.

"Do you drive a car here?  What shakedowns have you experienced?"

I don't drive cars nor M/Cs so I'm not likely to experience shakedowns. Neither have I said I do.

I actually said in the post you are referring to "We're always hear about falangs driving vehicles getting shaken down by Thai cops," 

I did not specifically mention you nor your experiences on Thai roads because I know nothing about either.

But I have heard and read of motorists getting stung for few a hundred baht by cops many times. I've also met several falangs who have. They cough up a bit of cash and get sent on their way. There has been one such incident mentioned on this very forum today.

I've also read of other falangs who have paid their way out of drink driving offences. But nowadays they have to pay more than just a few hundred baht.

I also knew a fellow who was caught with a single joint of cannabis, he was locked up and not released till his father sent over the equivalent of 2000 GBP to get the charge dropped. And that was about 15 years ago.

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

It is strange - again it seems like it wasn't a scam.  There was no bribe requested and he went through a legal process.

No proof it went through "the legal process", whatever that is, besides a thai police statement and a newspaper repeating it. That has no more credibility than the Thanglor police statements about a Frenchmen this last week. Which we now know were absolutely false. The police did try to extort him Those police were officially reprimanded ands put on inactive. 

No reason to believe this is not a scam also.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SteveK said:

This is not a case of a guy leaving a bullet in his luggage by mistake. If that were the case, it would have been spotted on his way out to Thailand 100%. Someone at the airport put it in his bag hoping to get their hands on a wad of thousand baht bills by way of extortion.

Sigh...for the 99th time, what if he obtained in in Thailand and tried to take it home?

Nowhere has it been said, apart from in the comments, that he brought it from home.

If the bullet's origin can be traced we'll be a bit nearer the truth.

If it can from near Ohio then we'll have a better idea and a better one still if it came from somewhere else.

Edited by yogi100

53 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Sigh...for the 99th time, what if he obtained in in Thailand and tried to take it home?

Nowhere has it been said, apart from in the comments, that he brought it from home.

Well said. It's part of the unique experience for visitors to the LOS.

When you go home you get a garland of flowers to go round your neck. You buy a Lacoste polo shirt, a bottle of Sangsum and a real bullet as a souvenir to remind you of your time in Thailand. It's natural, we all do it.

It's a very popular practice especially with Americans because as we all know bullets are virtually impossible to obtain in the USA.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SkyFax said:

Well if it was indeed a scam, the person who would be the victim of the scam and who is now back in the US, hasn't so far said so.

It said something about a court appearance in February. If that's the case he's gotta be careful about what he says.

Hmmm.... it does seem like a money maker.. Who are the players Airport, lawyers, judge.... If paying up first and then having to wait until March to go home.. Hmm something smells like guano..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ToYoungToRetire said:

As as American Ex-Army I own many weapons. Weapons that have would and have put me on the FBI watch list. 

I can say I have a few bags I take to the gun range with me with lots of Ammo. Still you'd have to be an idiot for this to happen. My travel bags never carry ammo of any sort. I did get stopped in China with a Key Knife on my key ring I forgot was there. 

Accidents happen. 

Thank you for a common sense appraisal.

3 hours ago, yogi100 said:

It said something about a court appearance in February. If that's the case he's gotta be careful about what he says.

Different case, he was talking about the first "bullet in a bag" case.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Different case, he was talking about the first "bullet in a bag" case.

There'll probably be another one next week then we'll really get mixed up. And why do they keep picking on the poor Yanks.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Enzian said:

Thanks and that is good to know, since this very thing has made me nervous in the past. But it doesn't make me very confident that the swab tests are protecting us. I believe you, but if you are right then what are the swab tests even good for? And now reading the above, is there really that much difference between gunpowder and explosive powder? OK, different chemicals.

They're different, but quite obviously, one can manpulate the engineering and delivery if they're that way inclined. 'Security' serves a purpose but I'm always entertained when they're searching my 10 year old for traces of deodorant. Swab tests and the like are face value security measures. Sort of like living and driving in LOS.

This is a sad story.  No way to tell if he had a bullet or if it was a scam.  if he actually had one - seriously he needed to be held and tried for $1000s of dollars?  What did they think he was going to do with it?  Throw it at the flight crew?

Doesn't really matter if he did it or not.  Seems a massive over-reaction.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RasiMike said:

The over reaction is a little strange isn't it?  The airport security involved must answer to the current federal government, which is currently comprised of 'former' military chiefs who 'the average Joe' would imagine has a strong understanding of the mechanisms of firearms. They surely recognise a single round, (unchambered and in checked luggage) is far from deadly?Firearm cartridges (standard type rimfire/centrefire) can be carried on commercial flights in multiple kilograms, on many carriers in numerous countries, with proper notification and airline consent, so the threat, if measured correctly for a single round (presumably a primer/powder/projectile type in checked luggage is negligible. Basic dangerous goods procedures on international and domestic flights worldwide allow for the carriage of these items. So, Thailand, wouldn't a slap on the wrist, a fine and a wai suffice?

Seems right to me.  I mean yeah, so it doesn't proliferate go ahead and hand him a 500 baht fine and off ya go.

40 minutes ago, RasiMike said:

The over reaction is a little strange isn't it?  The airport security involved must answer to the current federal government, which is currently comprised of 'former' military chiefs who 'the average Joe' would imagine has a strong understanding of the mechanisms of firearms. They surely recognise a single round, (unchambered and in checked luggage) is far from deadly?Firearm cartridges (standard type rimfire/centrefire) can be carried on commercial flights in multiple kilograms, on many carriers in numerous countries, with proper notification and airline consent, so the threat, if measured correctly for a single round (presumably a primer/powder/projectile type in checked luggage is negligible. Basic dangerous goods procedures on international and domestic flights worldwide allow for the carriage of these items. So, Thailand, wouldn't a slap on the wrist, a fine and a wai suffice?

You are trying to stop a good shakedown. They obviously are well aware of your reasoning, why let that get in the way of a good ole shakedown. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RasiMike said:

Has any formal  announcement been made regarding

calibre, manufacurer or anything that alludes the origin of

the ammunition in the reports regarding these  presumably seperate cases?

That would be interesting and relevant information. If they were basic lead 9mm, .45 or .38 rounds (LRN/LSWC) then much more likely to be locally-made (by BulletMaster, ThaiArms, NRC or Royal), since those are the most common rounds at ranges so pretty easy to get. Something more exotic like a .40 JHP would be rare here, so more likely to have been in the bag before it arrived in Thailand.

It is in fact illegal in Thailand even to have spent casings in your possession. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, yogi100 said:

"Do you drive a car here?  What shakedowns have you experienced?"

I don't drive cars nor M/Cs so I'm not likely to experience shakedowns. Neither have I said I do.

I actually said in the post you are referring to "We're always hear about falangs driving vehicles getting shaken down by Thai cops," 

I did not specifically mention you nor your experiences on Thai roads because I know nothing about either.

But I have heard and read of motorists getting stung for few a hundred baht by cops many times. I've also met several falangs who have. They cough up a bit of cash and get sent on their way. There has been one such incident mentioned on this very forum today.

I've also read of other falangs who have paid their way out of drink driving offences. But nowadays they have to pay more than just a few hundred baht.

I also knew a fellow who was caught with a single joint of cannabis, he was locked up and not released till his father sent over the equivalent of 2000 GBP to get the charge dropped. And that was about 15 years ago.

Those are not "shakedowns".  They are paying bribes to get away with offences.  Massive difference.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Those are not "shakedowns".  They are paying bribes to get away with offences.  Massive difference.

The Cambridge English Dictionary describes a Shakedown as

"the activity of getting money from someone by threatening or tricking them"

Where is the 'massive difference' between that and what happened in this case? In fact where's any difference?

They've told him cough up or you're nicked! That's demanding a bribe to overlook an offence. As near as damn it the same thing.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 1

Kind of odd that a 37 yo, with a 16 year old kid, and still going to school could afford to vacation in Thailand.  If he did it, he needs to take responsibility, and might get off with a fine..otherwise, if this blows up into an indictment of Thai corruption, and the press crying foul, he might be here for a while.  Not seeing a lot of support for him from the states.  The origin of the bullet might only make the situation worse.

16 hours ago, Langkawee said:

I thought that scam was only used by Philippines immigration. 

Per usual, the Thais are late. About 5 years or so for this one.

With two cases back to back that received international press, they would be incredibly stupid to pull this again. Not that they won’t, but with each new bullet case it’s obvious that it’s a scam. I can’t imagine such a scam at the airport would be as easy to pull off as say the jet ski scam. 

And this will do wonders for tourism once again. Honestly, Thailand doesn’t deserve tourists. They deserve the plague.