Where have al the food stalls gone ?

jonwilly

I live on Suthep Rd. Everyday there are between 40-60 food stalls set up along the road. To day 2.

I asked at one and the guy just laughed.

The 25th of the month is the day when they may not set up until the sidewalk has been washed down by the ampure.

Then by 10.00 the days set up is started, today only 2.

john

9 hours ago, searcher22 said:

MeeChok plaza...no market last Monday and Tuesday, the usual market days throughout the year. Probably none today and tomorrow too.

They never have walking street markets on the days before Christmas and New Year, going back 8 or 9 years. This is to allow more parking for Rimping customers around the holidays.

19 hours ago, cerox said:

Because it is the end of the year and people travel to their family now?

Yup.... Many Thais go home to their villages/families a few 'special days' as NEW YEAR...

That is the reason for reporting 'Road Fatalities' (because the number of deaths are HORRIFIC) on certain holidays through-out the year..... After the holidays you should see 'most' of them return........ Unless of course our beloved PM chooses to move them off the sidewalks as he did in other areas previously.... My Mrs. had 7 members of her Family selling fried pork, put out of business in Bangkok by the PM's push to clear the sidewalks a couple of those 'stall sellers' who were put out of business had earned enough to put 3 children through UNIVERSITY.... first graduates in the history of their family...... I'm so sad for the 'working Thais

NOW with this present Gov't.....  Only the gov't folks and the already rich folks ARE thought of now days... NOT the massive numbers of poor who are out there on the roads dying this holiday.... Now you know why many of the food sellers are not there, and those who survive the trip home on Thai highways will re open after the holidays....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, cerox said:

Because it is the end of the year and people travel to their family now?

Yes, the most obvious explanation. Hard to imagine why it escapes the notice of so many as TV makes daily announcements of road carnage statistics as masses of people head home to spend time with their families.

"I don't know what planet you're living as you seemed to have not noticed that Thailand is on holiday."

" Isn't it obvious?"

All my fault I thought that there would be some well informed folk on this thread.

Yes I know it's a major holiday time but having lived on Suthep Rd for the last 16 years I can say that without any shadow of doubt that the food stalls are a 365 day/evening event, between 40-50 set up on the sidewalk next to the university.

Today there where at first 4 and then by midday 2 stalls open.

I have been informed  by a friend in business that a directive has come down from on high that the sidewalks be cleared, as similar has happened in Bangkok.

john

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2019 at 7:37 PM, jonwilly said:

"I don't know what planet you're living as you seemed to have not noticed that Thailand is on holiday."

" Isn't it obvious?"

All my fault I thought that there would be some well informed folk on this thread.

Yes I know it's a major holiday time but having lived on Suthep Rd for the last 16 years I can say that without any shadow of doubt that the food stalls are a 365 day/evening event, between 40-50 set up on the sidewalk next to the university.

Today there where at first 4 and then by midday 2 stalls open.

I have been informed  by a friend in business that a directive has come down from on high that the sidewalks be cleared, as similar has happened in Bangkok.

john

If what you say is true then it is sad. They want all the character of places removed.

I as OP do not know what is going on, as I said a friend in business in CM has told me he has heard that an instruction came down from on high, BKK, is suggested.

I am told that last evening Thursday that about a dozen food stalls opened.

Hundreds of families are affected by this badly thought out decision if what I am told is correct.

These food stall are open 365 days a year, CM uni has 30K students many of whom live in Suthep area.

john

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 7:37 AM, jonwilly said:

I just heard about this happening in Thailand on a Netflix documentary called "Street Food (Bangkok, Thailand)."  They said the vendors were encroaching on taxpayer's space and called the vendors "leeches."

Last Sunday 19th Jan I spoke  to a Thai lady professor from CM Uni.

I asked her where all the food stalls on Suthep Rd had gone.

She burst out laughing and said, They were back last night when I went up Suthep Rd.

I rarely go out of a night and I can only assume that during the day when an Enforcement authority is around the traders are gone as "Someone" has decreed.

During the day there are normally upto 12 stalls set up, all are located just below the higher gate to the uni.

The people who have for as long as I have lived on Suthep Rd have the stall selling cardboard boxes that the students use in their home moves, where back for one day then gone.

No Thai who I have spoken to has been able or willing, to tell me what is going on.

I have even ask the editor of CM's leading Tourist Magazine.

john

• Confused 1