A/C smoke filter

hwaetu Go

Can someone please tell me what filters should be attached to a normal house a/c box to filter the smoke? I was thinking I need one to stop incoming smoke but maybe its better to find one for inside the machine as it blows air in???   ...And where would be a good place to obtain these? Thank you.

Basically you have a compressor unit sat outside and an air handler inside that recirculates the cooled air, you can add an additional filter level to the inside air handler, "filtrete" seems to be the most popular, installed on top of the existing filter.

Not sure Global sell, Filtrete will help but really you need a separate HEPA filter, or maybe more than one if you have a large residence.

Links below purely to help you see what is available, lots of different models on the market.

Link to filtrete:- https://www.lazada.co.th/products/3m-filtrete-15-x-96-2-filtrete-roll-15x96-pack-i333360013-s643912745.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.7.73883af86khP6E&search=1

Link to filter:- https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-air-purifier-pro-pm-25-1-formaldehyde-filter-quiet-air-purifying-i344170265-s933252598.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.37.4bd02cc1nFgztW&search=1

Thank you. Very helpful. So I send away to Lazada and get the roll of Hepa Filtrate and cover the area inside the indoors part of the aircon which will keep hopefully a lot of the smoke from entering the house when the aircon is on. Last year one early morn about 4:30 I smelled the smoke again, coming into the wooden house. I turned on the zircon and it was as if there was a smoky fire on the other side of the zircon. It was so bad we up and left with our sinus infections and antibiotics to Bangkok etc for month. Thanks again

5 hours ago, hwaetu Go said:

Thank you. Very helpful. So I send away to Lazada and get the roll of Hepa Filtrate and cover the area inside the indoors part of the aircon which will keep hopefully a lot of the smoke from entering the house when the aircon is on. Last year one early morn about 4:30 I smelled the smoke again, coming into the wooden house. I turned on the zircon and it was as if there was a smoky fire on the other side of the zircon. It was so bad we up and left with our sinus infections and antibiotics to Bangkok etc for month. Thanks again

I think you may have a misconception about how most air con units work here. Most of them don't pull air in from outside. They merely recirculate and cool the air that's already inside the house/room.

So, by adding Filtrete sheets to your existing air con filters, the Filtrete sheets will capture SOME of the air pollution that makes it past your regular AC filters as they work. But Filtrete is not a substitute or replacement for a HEPA filter air purifier or an air con unit with built-in HEPA filters, the latter which are just now coming to market in Thailand.

Also, in a smokey environment, expect that the Filtrete sheets on an air con unit's filters are going to have to be replaced pretty frequently, or else they'll get clogged up with gunk and prevent your air con unit from properly circulating air and cooling your rooms.

The difference between Filtrete sheets and HEPA filters, apart from the pleated style of HEPA filters giving them greater capture capacity, is that HEPA filters also capture more of the really tiny pollution particles in the air that are the worst for your health, because they get absorbed easily into your body and bloodstream via your lungs. That's something you really don't want to be occurring.

PS - Re your original comment, what you CAN do to prevent more polluted air from seeping inside your home when your air con and/or air filters are working is to install air-tight weather stripping material around the frames of your doors and windows, and seal up any other places that easily allow outside air to circulate in. That will make it easier on whatever filters you have to do their job.

5 hours ago, hwaetu Go said:

which will keep hopefully a lot of the smoke from entering the house when the aircon is on.

No it won't! the smoke is not entering the house via the AC, all the AC does is recirculate the air in the room, it will help clean up some of the "smoke" but a HEPA filter would do so more efficient.

^ posted at the same time!

I would suggest an air purifier too.

Now you should be easily able to buy them. February or March, when many Thai people who are more reactive than planning ahead (do not mean this mean, just my observation), they will be sold out again.

Get a stockpile of some N95 masks too.

As for the Filtrete, you can buy it on วัวลาย / wualai (the Sat. night market road) in the 3M shop (find it on google maps) too. Be aware they most likely are closed now for the holiday season for a few days. I used it in the past, it had to be replaced after 1-2 weeks in smoky season and turned black.

It kind of impacted the cooling ability of my aircon, so I stopped using it. Still I like the shop for the masks as they can be bought in bulk for 20 Baht per piece. Usually buy 50-100 and just keep them here.

As said you want an air purifier to remove smoke or smells.  HEPA is normally used but negative ion generator can help remove smoke smell (used when I was a smoker).  The above Hatari has ability to use both.

Filtrete (3M) is helpful at removing dust getting into AC but greatly reduces air flow and should not cover more than 2/3 of current filters if used.

For the first time in 13 years we purchased from Lazada 3M's Filtrete for our 3 aircons.

I installed it and to be honest forgot to check until 2 weeks later.

With all 3 air cons the filter material was black.

This was at the same time as the guys came out to do the yearly clean and gas check.

They shook their heads at the filters saying it stopped the flow of air .I did cover the whole area

I totally understand that but that sight of black particles totally covering the filters was really quite a shock.

So its looks like a purifier or 2 is on the cards at a time we can least afford them

6 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

For the first time in 13 years we purchased from Lazada 3M's Filtrete for our 3 aircons.

I installed it and to be honest forgot to check until 2 weeks later.

With all 3 air cons the filter material was black.

This was at the same time as the guys came out to do the yearly clean and gas check.

They shook their heads at the filters saying it stopped the flow of air .I did cover the whole area

I totally understand that but that sight of black particles totally covering the filters was really quite a shock.

So its looks like a purifier or 2 is on the cards at a time we can least afford them

These do the job just fine.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xpx-32-jd55-i273701284-s433554982.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.7bc86be02fud1F&search=1

So I bought the 3M rolls as recommended here. I am wondering how these very transparent thin sheets of filter actually capture pm 2.5... What's the science behind it? It looks like a thin layer of cotton or cotton candy. I was just going to stuff a sheet, folded twice or maybe even 3x into my motorcycle helmet air filter (its a fan that blows air into the helmet). 

5 hours ago, ThaiBrian said:

So I bought the 3M rolls as recommended here. I am wondering how these very transparent thin sheets of filter actually capture pm 2.5... What's the science behind it? It looks like a thin layer of cotton or cotton candy. I was just going to stuff a sheet, folded twice or maybe even 3x into my motorcycle helmet air filter (its a fan that blows air into the helmet). 

It's a similar principle to the hairs in your nose, dust particles are trapped by them. 

Good idea to use filtrette inside your helmet, suggest you inspect it after one day because it will be black. See below a picture of filtrette on my living room air con. filters from last years burning season, this was after two weeks use of fan only setting for 20x7, the white paper to the right of the filter is to show contrast.

IMG_20190409_160022.jpg

Actually with such levels and duration, plus the information gotten from 2019's haze season.....i think you'd better get something like a Xiaomi 3 or something (maybe 2 units or even more if you have sensitive/susceptible pax in the household) and make your house not so "leaky" (but not overly airtight so that there is no air exchange to keep CO2 levels low).  

ps. i'd recommend the Xiaomi 3 air purifier over the 2/2S as the ver 3's fan speed can be fully and entirely adjusted on the unit.  Previously for full fan speed control, you'd need your phone and the Xiaomi app and the operation/installation/connection of the app is a bit wonky.  Other than that, the ver 3 has a fair bit more CADR airflow as well, i think 30% more or something.

The 3M Filtrete (or any brand electrostatic filter) do work somewhat ok, issue is that you'd need to keep changing them out (every few days, not weeks) during Feb - Apr.   So the recurrent cost is not going to be low.  You cannot push it too far coz electrostatics is such that the efficiency drops drastically as it gets dirtier. 

If you do not change out the progressively clogged filter, you'd be putting quite a bit of stress to the FCU/compressor esp if the FCU evaporative coil (not only that net filter) has not been cleaned regularly.    In some instances, you might even ice up the coil and induce condensation on the copper piping (even though it's been insulated) and stuff like that.......more $$ then to fix these problems.

If you HAVE to use 3M filtrete or similar, putting it at the back of a few fans might be a better solution.

On 12/31/2019 at 2:38 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So, by adding Filtrete sheets to your existing air con filters, the Filtrete sheets will capture SOME of the air pollution that makes it past your regular AC filters as they work. But Filtrete is not a substitute or replacement for a HEPA filter air purifier or an air con unit with built-in HEPA filters, the latter which are just now coming to market in Thailand

Interesting as I just purchased some more filtrate from HomePro for the A/C's which we will use during the coming hotter months and burning season, albeit it for about half an hour before bedtime as the bedrooms stays cool after that as we then leave the fans on to circulate the cool air around. We are well insulated in the ceiling and door jams, so no need to run the air cons all night, as we don't really like waking up to the aftermath of air cons all night.

So my question to you is, should we not put the filtrate in the air conditioners again this year, as I know how black they are after a few weeks, or should I fire up the IQAir purifier before we turn on the air conditioners if the SNDWAY reading is higher than say 12ug/m3 ?

To think what one has to go through to get the clean air into their house is just mind boggling, but your knowledge thus far has been invaluable and appreciated. 

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Interesting as I just purchased some more filtrate from HomePro for the A/C's which we will use during the coming hotter months and burning season, albeit it for about half an hour before bedtime as the bedrooms stays cool after that as we then leave the fans on to circulate the cool air around. We are well insulated in the ceiling and door jams, so no need to run the air cons all night, as we don't really like waking up to the aftermath of air cons all night.

So my question to you is, should we not put the filtrate in the air conditioners again this year, as I know how black they are after a few weeks, or should I fire up the IQAir purifier before we turn on the air conditioners if the SNDWAY reading is higher than say 12ug/m3 ?

To think what one has to go through to get the clean air into their house is just mind boggling, but your knowledge thus far has been invaluable and appreciated. 

My opinion:  if you have an air cleaner use it - there is no need for extra filters on AC if using a good HEPA filter and much better to keep the AC filters clean/unobstructed.  If you do not have a HEPA filter to use cover a portion (up to 70% of the AC filter) but be sure to check/replace often and remember keeping the indoor unit cleaner is not going to help the outdoor unit so still get normal six month cleaning service.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

My opinion:  if you have an air cleaner use it - there is no need for extra filters on AC if using a good HEPA filter and much better to keep the AC filters clean/unobstructed.  If you do not have a HEPA filter to use cover a portion (up to 70% of the AC filter) but be sure to check/replace often and remember keeping the indoor unit cleaner is not going to help the outdoor unit so still get normal six month cleaning service.

Just found that receipt and am within the 14 days for a refund.

Will get an air con guy in to clean the air cons as we haven't had them done since installed, e.g. 4 years ago although I clean the filters in them regularly.

No doubt he will tell me it needs refilling.....lol

Any idea of costs to clean per unit ? 

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Just found that receipt and am within the 14 days for a refund.

Will get an air con guy in to clean the air cons as we haven't had them done since installed, e.g. 4 years ago although I clean the filters in them regularly.

No doubt he will tell me it needs refilling.....lol

Any idea of costs to clean per unit ? 

Normal cost runs from 400-700 baht and well worth the price (it will save electric usage - they do get dirty inside).  Have not had any issue with our person suggesting refilling gas but have been using him for many years as an independent contractor (works for large store during week) but if you are not having issues getter cool temp would take any such suggestion with a large grain of salt.  

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Normal cost runs from 400-700 baht and well worth the price (it will save electric usage - they do get dirty inside).  Have not had any issue with our person suggesting refilling gas but have been using him for many years as an independent contractor (works for large store during week) but if you are not having issues getter cool temp would take any such suggestion with a large grain of salt.  

Will take that with a grain of salt thanks, but will get them cleaned for a first as I know one that feels as if the air isn't that cold at times, and now come to think of it is older than the others as it was taken out of the first older section of the house, could be 10 years old if not more...lol

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

A HEPA air purifier is going to do a better job of cleaning your indoor air, especially the smallest particles that are the most harmful, compared to the Filtrete sheets. The Filtrete sheets are better than nothing. But less capable than a HEPA filter.

I run my room air purifiers as needed to keep my PM2.5 readings in the room below 12 micrograms. If the ambient air is REALLY bad and my air purifiers couldn't keep up, then I'd add Filtrete sheets to my air con in addition.

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A HEPA air purifier is going to do a better job of cleaning your indoor air, especially the smallest particles that are the most harmful, compared to the Filtrete sheets. The Filtrete sheets are better than nothing. But less capable than a HEPA filter.

I run my room air purifiers as needed to keep my PM2.5 readings in the room below 12 micrograms. If the ambient air is REALLY bad and my air purifiers couldn't keep up, then I'd add Filtrete sheets to my air con in addition.

Thanks, the air purifier that I have does a great job as its a huge unit and capable of doing big rooms at a time, that said will return the filtrate back to HomePro and put the money to better use, that said will also get the A/C's cleaned as that can't hurt, apart from the pocket ????

The above said I can't believe the PM2.5 reading in here today with all the windows and doors open which is 2 to 5, everyday should be the 1st January ????

Sounds like you need a good air filter. The best one I have found for the money here is the Xiaomi Air purifier pro. Under 6,000 baht for the global version, which is what you want. It works off the app on your smartphone, and works really well. Many of the others air filters here are way overpriced, and not good performers. Plus the replacement filters are overpriced. I also have a good Samsung unit, but the replacement filters are 4,000 baht (insanely expensive, and typical of Samsung parts) and hard to get. This one has a large filter that can be replaced for around 800 baht on Lazada. Supposed to replace every 6 months. Worth it. The air quality in Thailand has become horrendous. Every home should have one. Got one, that I am quite happy with. I use a PM meter, so I have verified that it brought down the levels in my home to 001 to 005, as long as the windows remain closed, this time of year. 

So the 3M is electrostatic? So somehow the PM 2.5 is attracted and it attaches to the material? Like other skeptics, I don't believe its very efficient. I would be surprised if 1/4 of all the air that passes through is filtered. 

I will be wearing a face mask in the motorcycle helmet but I wanted to additional protection. I wanted the air from outside to be filtered as it enters my motorcycle helmet. I bought what is called "BluSnap2" on Lazada... I wouldn't recommend it. 

As for stand-alone home purifiers, why are you guys paying so much? Isn't it the filter that is the most important part of the equation? I just bought a 1,000THB Chinese copy of a high quality air purifier and just bought a couple of HEPA Filters. It can move a lot of air as well. 

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The air quality in Thailand has become horrendous.

Agree there & most of it is "man made"! I live outside of UT, its rare that the AQ gets really bad, its even rarer when it is as good as it is today! its is a holiday, no burning, not much traffic, weather is nice, windows in the house are open, shows just how much is created!

AQ.jpg

Archived