Thousands of people trapped in Australian coastal town by huge wildfires

webfact

21 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And even Paul Read, the person whom you cite, says this:

"We do not have an 'arson emergency,'" he says. "They might light the fires, but the consequences are due to climate change first, fuel load second."

https://sea.mashable.com/science/8478/the-arson-emergency-trending-amid-australias-bushfire-crisis-is-actually-not-a-thing

If the trees and leaves weren't there, nobody would burn them, right? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

If the trees and leaves weren't there, nobody would burn them, right? 

It’s very dry and very hot. And these conditions are unprecedented. Arson not the major cause of these fires.

But it seems whatever alt-right web board you get your info from is giving you these lines, so predictably (surprise surprise) you come here to repeat them...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You didn't read the article posted above, re-posted below for your convenience. Similar article also in the Australian which is a right wing Murdoch owned newspaper So for a change don't try the usual fake news deflection.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/08/police-contradict-claims-spread-online-exaggerating-arsons-role-in-australian-bushfires

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, elmrfudd said:

Typically, you site the"alt-right" trope 

If the shoe fits.

head of the fire service blames it on climate change and lightning. Arson is not the main issue. 

Try using facts from people that know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, elmrfudd said:

I did read it, I just don't buy into the vacuous "alt right" terms you throw around as if you had a clue about what you are talking about 

Yes, perhaps just "rightwing" would have been a better choice.

How Rupert Murdoch Is Influencing Australia’s Bushfire Debate

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/08/world/australia/fires-murdoch-disinformation.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Yes, perhaps just "rightwing" would have been a better choice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/08/world/australia/fires-murdoch-disinformation.html

Wait, you quoted a left wing source for blaming it on a right wing source.... Can this be any sillier? 

Droughts happen, lightning happens. Arson happens. Climate change has nothing to do with it. 

Stop making stuff up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

But he didn't blame it on arson did he? And these fires are unprecedented, aren't they?

So now no arson has taken place? 

Unprecedented? How would we know what happened thousands of years ago when no one was here to record it? 

Get a grip. Climate change hysteria is not a sign of intellectual prowess. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

A source that provides lots of evidence.

Whereas the Murdoch media empire is contradicting the experts by way overplaying the role of arson and lying about the supposed cutbacks in controlled burning  whereas in fact the opposite is the case..

Bristol, you can't call one side a valid source of evidence just because you agree with it. 

You do this constantly. As do most of the leftists. You only believe the NY times and the wapo when it is convenient. 

Climate change has nothing to do with this. 

Calm down. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, elmrfudd said:

If it sounds like a load of s.. t and smells like a load of s.. t..... 

I think for the chest thumpers, any opinion left of Genghis Khan probably fits that description.  

Edited by samran
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, elmrfudd said:

Bristol, you can't call one side a valid source of evidence just because you agree with it. 

You do this constantly. As do most of the leftists. You only believe the NY times and the wapo when it is convenient. 

Climate change has nothing to do with this. 

Calm down. 

You know, it's funny. I've been following climatology fairly closely and read a fair amount about all the research being conducted and the overwhelming consensus in the climatological community is  that ACC is real and that it has played a part in the current fires in Los Angeles. But that was before  I read this well reasoned and factually support statement of yours that "Climate changes has nothing to do with this." How could I be so foolish as to put my trust in the scientific community when an anonymous poster on thaivisa.com asserts otherwise?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, elmrfudd said:

So you are the intellectual standard? In your own mind, I am sure that is a fact. 

No, my intellectual standard is to believe the experts, you know like the CSIRO.

Hell, even the most self interested of all the self interested, investment Banks, and miners like BHP are on board with this.

The only people who aren’t are the ones running some sort of misguided conservative culture war. Which is strange, cause if you are conservative you kind of want to keep the status quo.

But these blokes confuse ‘the status quo’ with doing nothing. But as we have seen, doing nothing means that a good chunk of the habitable south East is on fire and peoples quality of life has gone into reverse. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 10:37 PM, bristolboy said:

If you want to see where a lot of the lies about how Greens are responsible for the fires, or that this fire season is no worse than others, or that arsonists are largely to bloom, look no further than Rupert Murdoch.

The idea that “greenies” or environmentalists would oppose measures to prevent fires from ravaging homes and lives is simply false. But the comment reflects a narrative that’s been promoted for months by conservative Australian media outlets, especially the influential newspapers and television stations owned by Rupert Murdoch.

...His standard-bearing national newspaper, The Australian, has also repeatedly argued that this year’s fires are no worse than those of the past — not true, scientists say, noting that 12 million acres have burned so far, with 2019 alone scorching more of New South Wales than the previous 15 years combined.

and the past 100 years?

6 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Comparison are often odious, when you are homeless, unemployed, transportless, no power

Im none of those im asking a  question, but you seemed  too  full of  emotion to answer, I saw Black Thursday of 1851 had a  similar scenario and before agw was mentioned, Id  like to know if this is "unusual"  or  happened  before, 15 years is  no time at all.

I also saw Northern territories in 1975 was  way  more than this? at 110million acres

Edited by Chazar

38 minutes ago, Chazar said:

and the past 100 years?

As noted elsewhere it's unprecedented how widespread the fires are. From the west coast to the east coast. The ones in the past were far more localized.  It's also unprecedented how early the fires have begun. It's also unprecedented that even swamps are burning. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elmrfudd said:

I did read it, I just don't buy into the vacuous "alt right" terms you throw around as if you had a clue about what you are talking about 

As a trump follower you know where the term 'alt right' originated from.  the ideology trump still indulges  , supports and utilises for propaganda purpose

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

It's also unprecedented that even swamps are burning. 

Similar with some sub-tropical rainforests, peat bogs have been smouldering on some properties for the first time in known european history.

Even ScoMo used the climate change in same sentence as bushfires, in an interview yesterday. 

• Like 2