Thousands of people trapped in Australian coastal town by huge wildfires

webfact

10 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah well....I know that and you know that but if a reporter is so lacking in details and knowledge should they be reporting on such a catastrophe ?

Ease up ,your not even sure which news Chanel he was from!

20 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

That's a great photo!

However I think that the clue as to why they use the smaller planes up here is in the respective backgrounds of our photos..

I do not think so, in the OP the village in danger is on the seaside, but not so many countries by the way have those Canadair fire plane, probably the best fire fighter plane in the world USA only four, Canada of course 64 France 12 Gree 18 Italy 19 Spain 21 Turkey 9 Croatia 6 

Here ia a short movie of this plane.

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

Faced with a firefront a few kilometres wide and moving extremely fast please describe your immediate reaction with your bucket of sand.

It would be like putting out a few empty buckets in the path of a typhoon to stop the flooding that's coming your way.

OK .. lets award thaibeachlovers , the "Galah" award..I think it fits the bill......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I do not think so, in the OP the village in danger is on the seaside, but not so many countries by the way have those Canadair fire plane, probably the best fire fighter plane in the world USA only four, Canada of course 64 France 12 Gree 18 Italy 19 Spain 21 Turkey 9 Croatia 6 

Here ia a short movie of this plane.

Very impressive.But enough for now.

It is back to fighting the fires...

6 hours ago, kevvy said:

OK .. lets award thaibeachlovers , the "Galah" award..I think it fits the bill......

I think the plastic bucket and sand award.
Although to be fair, unless one has seen a firestorm in action, even seeing a video of one does not prepare for the sound, the wind the heat or the speed, much let alone the lack of breathable air.

I lived through Ash Wednesday at Lorne , returned home to render assistance to afflicted family, this is unprecedented. Navy being used to evacuate from Mallacoota. Worse temperatures predicted from tomorrow.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Assuming you are talking about the PM of Australia, according to what I've read on here, it's a STATE responsibility, not a FEDERAL one re fire prevention, but not being an Aussie I may have misunderstood.

That is part of the problem. I understand recommendations were made up to 5 years ago for co-ordination of disaster effort along the lines of the New Zealand model, and the Coalition government did nothing. It's part of the reason why affected towns are telling ScoMo to <deleted> off back to Kirribilli when he visits.

• Like 1

And while Australia smoulders amid catastrophic conditions, some 30-something year old man has been charged with deliberately starting a bushfire in East Gippsland.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/man-charged-with-starting-bushfire-in-east-gippsland-as-blazes-rage-20200102-p53oap.html

What the fokker hell is wrong with people??

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Radar501 said:

And while Australia smoulders amid catastrophic conditions, some 30-something year old man has been charged with deliberately starting a bushfire in East Gippsland.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/man-charged-with-starting-bushfire-in-east-gippsland-as-blazes-rage-20200102-p53oap.html

I have an appropriate remedy for arsonists. Burn them at the stake.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

That is part of the problem. I understand recommendations were made up to 5 years ago for co-ordination of disaster effort along the lines of the New Zealand model, and the Coalition government did nothing. It's part of the reason why affected towns are telling ScoMo to <deleted> off back to Kirribilli when he visits.

Not to mention his comment about cricket continuing against a "backdrop" of the fires. He calls a national disater a background to cricket from the safety of the lawns of Kirribilli.

A cloth eared advertising person.

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Not to mention his comment about cricket continuing against a "backdrop" of the fires. He calls a national disater a background to cricket from the safety of the lawns of Kirribilli.

A cloth eared advertising person.

Most of what he has done so far has been reactive rather than proactive. For example, the payments for volunteer firefighters originated from a suggestion by Anthony Albanese. ADF help in Victoria was requested by the state premier, when it should have been offered immediately.

Australians had a choice in the last election between business as usual, or some radical reforms. They opted for safety, which is proving to be illusory.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Most of what he has done so far has been reactive rather than proactive. For example, the payments for volunteer firefighters originated from a suggestion by Anthony Albanese. ADF help in Victoria was requested by the state premier, when it should have been offered immediately.

Australians had a choice in the last election between business as usual, or some radical reforms. They opted for safety, which is proving to be illusory.

The radical reforms, were not that radical, just badly sold and explained by the opposition.

ADF personnel were discussed about giving assistance back in September when the fires started in Northern NSW, that was ruled out, as "fire fighting is a state responsibility".

I hope some media outlet compiles (in context) all of his responses to the bushfires since September and they are played at an inquiry when all this has passed.

He stated there was no need for "national disaster plan", I bet he he wishes he had one now.

His advisors should be very concerned and running and scrabbling to make him appear to be in control, even his responses last night showed that he was fumbling and highly embarrassed.

He has to realise that he is no longer the dictatorial immigration minister with the backing of a loyal leader, whom he betrayed, He is the leader.

I hope no more lives are lost, too many already, no emergency accommodation available to the now homeless. I have just prepared and frozen 36 meals (Thai food) for the effort for the local brigade.

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Radar501 said:

Life in prison, no prospect for release, but that is not an option.

26 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

The radical reforms, were not that radical, just badly sold and explained by the opposition.

ADF personnel were discussed about giving assistance back in September when the fires started in Northern NSW, that was ruled out, as "fire fighting is a state responsibility".

I hope some media outlet compiles (in context) all of his responses to the bushfires since September and they are played at an inquiry when all this has passed.

He stated there was no need for "national disaster plan", I bet he he wishes he had one now.

His advisors should be very concerned and running and scrabbling to make him appear to be in control, even his responses last night showed that he was fumbling and highly embarrassed.

He has to realise that he is no longer the dictatorial immigration minister with the backing of a loyal leader, whom he betrayed, He is the leader.

I hope no more lives are lost, too many already, no emergency accommodation available to the now homeless. I have just prepared and frozen 36 meals (Thai food) for the effort for the local brigade.

Well done, hope you left the chilli,s out! Where are you?

7 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Well done, hope you left the chilli,s out! Where are you?

Back assisting family on northern NSW inland from Lismore, we still have very active fires, currently under control, but under watch and act orders.

The place is worse than the devastation seen following ASH Wednesday.

Stock losses total here, so many houses and building gone, twisted shells.

Chillis will be able to be added if required. 
Times like this make glad I am old.  
My great nephews are shell shocked after returning from coastal region home. Their pet stock had to be put down, they had hand reared them from birth basically.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Life in prison, no prospect for release, but that is not an option.

I totally agree .....  why don't they make it mandatory, straight to jail, do not pass go  !!

They should instill tougher laws to send a message to kids and any firebug ..... YOU WILL ROT IN JAIL IF YOU LIGHT A FIRE DELIBERATELY

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I totally agree .....  why don't they make it mandatory, straight to jail, do not pass go  !!

They should instill tougher laws to send a message to kids and any firebug ..... YOU WILL ROT IN JAIL IF YOU LIGHT A FIRE DELIBERATELY

With kids they often do not fully understand the consequences of their actions, and pyromania especially in adolescent males is often a flag for other equally disturbing issues, of which they may have victims

Adults different matter.

Edited by RJRS1301

9 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Although to be fair, unless one has seen a firestorm in action, even seeing a video of one does not prepare for the sound, the wind the heat or the speed, much let alone the lack of breathable air.

I lived through Ash Wednesday at Lorne , returned home to render assistance to afflicted family, this is unprecedented. Navy being used to evacuate from Mallacoota. Worse temperatures predicted from tomorrow.

9 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Same here mate , we went through "black Saturday " in 2009 .To be in there is the most terrifying experience you can go through . W e lost our home .

a1b6e68f-ab1b-f67e-3ff6-05a5826b3db8.jpg

5 minutes ago, kevvy said:

Same here mate , we went through "black Saturday " in 2009 .To be in there is the most terrifying experience you can go through . W e lost our home .

a1b6e68f-ab1b-f67e-3ff6-05a5826b3db8.jpg

I hope you have recovered from that trauma, it is terrifying.

My sister has een burned out in this one, we have lost several buildings, and all stock gone on the property here, orchard literally exploded, one thousand trees gone. looking like nothing I have seen before, so many worse off though.

No end in sight.

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

I hope you have recovered from that trauma, it is terrifying.

My sister has een burned out in this one, we have lost several buildings, and all stock gone on the property here, orchard literally exploded, one thousand trees gone. looking like nothing I have seen before, so many worse off though.

No end in sight.

So sad for her , the experience never leaves you . I know what you are going through as she is family , you just feel so helpless . 

2 hours ago, kevvy said:

So sad for her , the experience never leaves you . I know what you are going through as she is family , you just feel so helpless . 

I feel better as I was able to fly back assist the others protect the main property ( to some extent),# luckily not only was she well prepared, but resilient and a house can be rebuilt. We did the best to fireproof this place several years ago, luckily we have bank up large tanks for firefightrn with theother safe guards, Some poor buggers close by have lost everything, including some of our beautiful volunteer firefighters, who are exhausted.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I feel better as I was able to fly back assist the others protect the main property ( to some extent),# luckily not only was she well prepared, but resilient and a house can be rebuilt. We did the best to fireproof this place several years ago, luckily we have bank up large tanks for firefightrn with theother safe guards, Some poor buggers close by have lost everything, including some of our beautiful volunteer firefighters, who are exhausted.

they are special people the volunteers.. And so may people just take them for granted.And you are a nice person ..

On 12/31/2019 at 10:15 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I fail to understand how a fire can get that close to a population center without the chainsaws and bulldozers removing the fuel BEFORE it could be a problem. Do they not have chainsaws, bulldozers and people to use them in that town, or is there some reason they could not attempt to save the town?

You obviously have no idea what these fires are like... with embers travelling 30-40 kms ahead of the fire front, starting muliple fires, no amount of chainsaws/bulldozers will stop the fire, you really need to understand how fast these fires travel, even trained firefights can't keep up... and also you need to know the terrain.. oh, people have died fighting these fires, firefighters, homeowners and those trying to escape.... anyone who critises these people... SHAME on You.

• Like 1