Thai retailers' plastic bags ban comes into effect

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand kicks off 2020 with plastic bag ban

By Prapan Chankaew

2020-01-01T140645Z_1_LYNXMPEG001I9_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ENVIRONMENT-PLASTIC.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Vegetables are carried in plastics bags at a market in Bangkok, Thailand June 19, 2019. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand began the year with a ban on single-use plastic bags at major stores, continuing a campaign launched by the government and retailers towards a complete ban in 2021 to reduce waste and debris in the sea.

Public awareness of the risk to animals and the environment from such waste was raised last year in a series of incidents where animals including a deer and a baby dugong were found dead with plastics in their digestive systems.

"Thailand was ranked sixth among the world's top countries that dumps waste into the sea," Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Varawut Silpa-Archa told reporters on Wednesday after handing out reusable bags to the public.

"During the past five months, we were down to 10th ... thanks to the cooperation of the Thai people."

The ministry says the country reduced the use of plastic bags by 2 billion, or about 5,765 tonnes last year, in the first phase of campaign to encourage consumers’ voluntarily refusal of plastic bags from stores.

"At first, I was not used to it (bringing shopping bags) because sometimes I just came bare hands and forgot about it. When I remember, I will carry it along," said one shopper, Supanee Burut-thong.

Varawut said the most challenging aspect would be the last 40% of plastic bag used at fresh markets and in rural areas.

"It's not going to be easy to change the way of thinking and behaviour of those people," he said.

($1 = 29.7600 baht)

(Writing by Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Alison Williams)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-02
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Shot said:

My local Kamala Tesco Express hasn't had plastic bags for a few months, bring your own. My 7-11 has been asking for a few months if I want a bag. BigC Kamala was only giving out bags if you had a lot of stuff, today they informed me, "No bags today and not ever. " Like many others, I use these bags at least twice. I'm not going to buy trash bags and only use them once, so I'll be burning my rubbish in the yard or street, just like my neighbors. Happy cough, cough new year.

I'm sure many of us appreciate your creative flexibility on this issue (NOT). I hope you were not serious because many of us homo sapiens sapiens have to actually breathe air - something that most of the Bangkok residents seem to have forgotten or ignored. Maybe their metabolisms are actually alien and they don't really need oxygen via clean air. It wouldn't surprise me if this were the case.

TIP: Buy, install and use both a trash compactor and a sink disposal unit or don't they allow these in Thailand's outback?

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I bought a couple of those cute cloth bags for my pack and pocket. No big deal.

Me too I also use them to put the plastic garbage when I'm done eating from it. Works great. Then I repeat the process forever. It's all so cute. ????

Edited by mickey rat
  • Like 1

In Fiji they are about to ban single use plastic bags.  At the vege section of the supermarket they have single use plastic, at the pharmacy, the choc top ice-creams at the cinema etc.  I must admit that I have not sorted what to do with the kitchen garbage in terms of loading into the larger bin that is collected - I still have some black bin liners and a stash of supermarket bags in the meanwhile. What do other folks do?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MikeN said:

I am sure that they will find a way once they get hungry. They could always ask their mother or grandmother how they survived without styrofoam trays or plastic bags at the markets.

When I was younger my father was partial to Chinese food ,now we didn't have Chinese restaurants at that time but the local Chinese market gardener had a thriving business selling food, the old man would take a billy can or a metal tin with lid and that would suffice. I see in Thailand you can buy similar with multiple cans clicked together,this could be the answer.

• Thanks 1