Thai retailers' plastic bags ban comes into effect

Jonathan Fairfield

28 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Just read on Twitter that plastic bags are now to be blurred on TV!!

Imagine the screen with a man smoking a cigarette and pointing a gun at a girl in a low cut top carrying her Tesco plastic bag with a glass of wine on the table next to her!!!!!

they blurr the ciggies as well.

8 hours ago, chrissables said:

Are you saying no shop in Thailand uses biodegradable bags then? As all major retailers are banning plastic bags. Common sense to force all bags to biodegradable. Job done.

You said:

Maybe you should read my question again. 

The underlined portion was your question in response to my comment stating that OXO-DEGRADABLE bags are banned by law.  But BIO-DEGRADABLE bags are fine.

So where did i say that 'no shop in Thailand uses biodegradable bags'??

Are you English??

4 minutes ago, HHTel said:

You said:

The underlined portion was your question in response to my comment stating that OXO-DEGRADABLE bags are banned by law.  But BIO-DEGRADABLE bags are fine.

So where did i say that 'no shop in Thailand uses biodegradable bags'??

Are you English??

But BIO-DEGRADABLE bags are fine. So where are they then? Why are no shops using them? That was my point, admittedly a bit vague. But as every shop chain seems to be following a ban, it seems strange

3 hours ago, Mark mark said:

So what do they Break down in to if they are Biodegradable ? .... Chemicals that will poison the soil ??? ... Just asking,

Biodegradable and compostable bags are made from plant-based materials like cornstarch and wheat as opposed to petroleum.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chrissables said:

But BIO-DEGRADABLE bags are fine. So where are they then? Why are no shops using them? That was my point, admittedly a bit vague. But as every shop chain seems to be following a ban, it seems strange

You mean these ? available in Big C...........

IMG_20200103_175019.jpg

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

I have two 7 Elevens within 200 meters of my house and a third about 300 meters away. The first one across the street was still giving out plastic bags yesterday. The one on my side of the street was still giving them out when I dropped in about 30 minutes ago. Haven't tried the third one yet, rarely go there. There was one goofball with his own cloth bag in the 7 this afternoon. Looked like he hadn't shaved, taken a shower or changed his clothes since long before he bought that cloth bag. I wonder which one of you plastic hysterics it was???

Well so far over the last 3 days, I've probably been to at least a dozen 7/11's.  NOT ONE of them are giving out plastic bags.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Quite.  I used to work in a shop after school and many ingredients like sugar came in sacks and we had to weigh it out into 1lb in paper bags.

Cheese came 2 large rounds in a wooden crate. That was cut up by hand with a wire and wrapped in greaseproof paper. No plastic bags or clingfilm then.

Hey.  That's exactly what I was doing after school.  I remember it well.  The sugar had to be weighed in blue bags.  That's when I realised that sugar had a smell and weevils were common.  Don't think anyone died of it though.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I agree that they aren't readily available.  Hopefully that will change.  Central and Tops have said that they will be offering biodegradable bags as their commitment to reducing plastic.

At least 2 of the 7/11's I've been into over the last couple of days had biodegradable bags on offer.  Not sure what or if they charge.  Unlike the usual bags, they are brown in colour.

You can certainly buy biodegradable trash bags so it's a case of downsizing them.  I'm sure it will happen in the near future.

"There was one goofball with his own cloth bag in the 7 this afternoon. Looked like he hadn't shaved, taken a shower or changed his clothes since long before he bought that cloth bag. I wonder which one of you plastic hysterics it was???"

That was me ... whats a goofball ? I not shower too often to save the planet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PAWNEESE said:

It could have been me. Depends on how bad the smell was. I was particularly rank today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Well so far over the last 3 days, I've probably been to at least a dozen 7/11's.  NOT ONE of them are giving out plastic bags.

They see you coming. BTW who the heck goes to 12 different 7 Elevens over just a couple of days? That is seriously weird. 

Edited by zydeco

4 minutes ago, PAWNEESE said:

"There was one goofball with his own cloth bag in the 7 this afternoon. Looked like he hadn't shaved, taken a shower or changed his clothes since long before he bought that cloth bag. I wonder which one of you plastic hysterics it was???"

I doubt if it was you. But I have a real good idea of just who it was. He was also mumbling incoherently. Dead give away.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, zydeco said:

I doubt if it was you. But I have a real good idea of just who it was. He was also mumbling incoherently. Dead give away.

Im not a goofball! Im harmless!

On 1/1/2020 at 5:38 PM, smedly said:

you cannot stop issuing plastic bags until there is a viable alternative 

I'm all for it but it will fail without solutions for the gaping whole left in the retail market

I already refuse a bag if possible and have been doing for months

Wow, for months?

How very progressive.

On 1/1/2020 at 8:01 PM, Don Mega said:

Just went to the 7/11, purchased 4 items and got 3 plastic bags and 5 straws.

The plastic bags and straws went into the bin, the bin that is lined with a black plastic bin bag that I purchase for the sole purpose of throwing my garbage away in.

And you could not have said no to any of it?

• Like 2

I have a beef with this entire policy. It discriminates against people without a private vehicle. Also people with bikes that have purchases bigger than the storage container on their bike. People taking public transport might need to schlep their goods for a very long time as opposed to people with cars that simply need to reach their nearby car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have a beef with this entire policy. It discriminates against people without a private vehicle. Also people with bikes that have purchases bigger than the storage container on their bike. People taking public transport might need to schlep their goods for a very long time as opposed to people with cars that simply need to reach their nearby car.

Please explain how it is harder to carry your shopping in a cloth or reuseable plastic bag than it was with the old checkout bags ? 

If you could carry one of them you can surely carry a cloth bag !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Please explain how it is harder to carry your shopping in a cloth or reuseable plastic bag than it was with the old checkout bags ? 

If you could carry one of them you can surely carry a cloth bag !

Seriously?

Maybe depending on your actual purchase, you need

bigger bags

multiple bags

Use your imagination, dude.

To totally cut off people is not accounting for specific situations. 

• Like 2

Went to Rim Ping Wednesday and was told no plastic bags.  I always used those to line the trash.  Now I'll just buy more.  No biggie and their actions do nothing to help the environment, just more money for them.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, fforest1 said:

7-11 is not stupid they know a HUGE HUGE chunk of their customers DO NOT PRE-PLAN their 7-11 shopping trips .......Plastic bags are critical for 7-11s profits......Plastic bags are here to stay at 7-11....

Strange that the 7/11s in countries that have banned the bags for some time are still in business then .....

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 7:01 AM, TEFLKrabi said:

Is it possible that rather than criticising, the elite at TVF could come up with a solution? For me, a reduction is the first step. Sure, I still need large black bags for rubbish but no longer accept the bags offered at the local minimarts.

The whole point for most posters on TVF is too slag the Thais off at every single opportunity they can. That is the sad state of affairs on this forum.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Seriously?

Maybe depending on your actual purchase, you need

bigger bags

multiple bags

Use your imagination, dude.

To totally cut off people is not accounting for specific situations. 

Then you have more than one cloth bag with you. It is not that difficult.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Went to Rim Ping Wednesday and was told no plastic bags.  I always used those to line the trash.  Now I'll just buy more.  No biggie and their actions do nothing to help the environment, just more money for them.

Don't assume that everybody is the same kind of person as you. We are already using less plastic bags and have enough bags saved up over the years to use for our bins for several months. Less plastic being used by us.

And before you start I know this is only a drop in the ocean compared to the waste produced by industry but we have to start somewhere.

Edited by Throatwobbler

10 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Strange that the 7/11s in countries that have banned the bags for some time are still in business then .....

Actually the 7-11s in the USA are dropping like flies......All this no plastic bag rubbish is I am sure a contributing factor along with others... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Throatwobbler said:

Then you have more than one cloth bag with you. It is not that difficult.

If I refuse to use cloth bags then I can say with 100% certainty that cloth bags do not work for me...

ONLY plastic bags work for me..... 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

If I refuse to use cloth bags then I can say with 100% certainty that cloth bags do not work for me...

ONLY plastic bags work for me..... 

Well boomer then you will begin to find you options more and more limited. Move with the times or become extinct. 

Edited by Throatwobbler
  • Like 2