Firework death: Half a kilo of gunpowder for 400 baht - but you need to stand 50 feet away

webfact

1 hour ago, i84teen said:

You can ban plastic bags but not dangerous fireworks (explosives) for sale to the general and sometimes irresponsible and/or drunken public.

Legally, fireworks cannot be sold to the public, that law is already on the statute books.  Plastic bags are not banned in Thailand.

4 hours ago, Jiggo said:

it had the power to explode to a distance of 100 meters and people should have been 50 feet away. (Ridiculers piece of reporting 328 feet is 100 meters, illogical Spock.       

It had enough black powder to throw the firework ball 100 metres into the air where it explodes causing a big display of different coloured stars. 

Simple Jim.

This was not some firecracker, it was a fireworks rocket, designed to go 100 feet, 30 meters into the air and then explode. This Brit should have known better than be leaning over it

after he lit the fuse. Now he won't enjoy the joys of marriage. RIP

Geezer

18 hours ago, i84teen said:

You can ban plastic bags but not dangerous fireworks (explosives) for sale to the general and sometimes irresponsible and/or drunken public.

All fireworks should be banned except for licensed users such as town councils.  Having kids lighting and throwing fire crackers around the neighbourhood besides being disruptive is very dangerous.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

Yes. He did turn it upside down. It’s on the video.

I didn't spend time studying the video but yes, looking closely he started with it the correct way up and for some reason quickly turned it upside down, it's hidden a bit behind his legs, before lighting it.

Just now, overherebc said:

I didn't spend time studying the video but yes, looking closely he started with it the correct way up and for some reason quickly turned it upside down, it's hidden a bit behind his legs, before lighting it.

No harm, no foul ... I was just pointing out what I saw on the video. Have a good one.  

These things can get you regardless of size.

I once saw a boy take all precautions with a smaller projectile than this one...he lit it in an open area and ran back 100

feet. As the fuse flared up towards the end of the wick, the damn thing fell over sideways

just as it discharged its payload. There were many people standing 100 feet away, but the 

blast hit the guy who lit it... on the side of the ribcage. It burned through his shirt and he was 

rushed to the ER. Recovered but never went near fireworks again.

On 1/3/2020 at 8:52 AM, wgdanson said:

Somebody explain this please.

Its a tube. Powder under the actual firework send it 100mtrs into the sky prior to it going off. So effectively its a cannon. Man went over to it as it had not gone off , something we were taught never to do even with small fireworks.  As hr looked into the tube it went off and the cannon ball killed him instantly. Think that covers it for you.

3 hours ago, Wazoo said:

Its a tube. Powder under the actual firework send it 100mtrs into the sky prior to it going off. So effectively its a cannon. Man went over to it as it had not gone off , something we were taught never to do even with small fireworks.  As hr looked into the tube it went off and the cannon ball killed him instantly. Think that covers it for you.

Not quite. I had it pointed out to me, correctly, because I missed it at the start of the video, that for some obscure reason he turned it upside down so in fact he got hit by the tube and the exploding star ball in combination.

I think that covers it.

Edited by overherebc

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Not quite. I had it pointed out to me, correctly, because I missed it at the start of the video, that for some obscure reason he turned it upside down so in fact he got hit by the tube and the exploding star ball in combination.

I think that covers it.

Not so easy as that.

He was inexperienced and intoxicated.

I think that covers it.