KBank not opening new accounts for non-Asean people unless on A-O (Retirement)?

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

BKK bank are the worst, they need a document from the embassy.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Quite easy to get a letter from the embassy and no difficulty here to open a bank account in Thailand.

Actually the Thai banks are quite lax about who is allowed to open bank accounts.

Now in Europe that is another story.

Edited by userabcd
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, PaulHamon said:

Yes, I thought this the case also each branch having its own autonomy, they were telling me this is not the case. So, Pectahburi and Phruap Khiri Khan (as poohy confirms above) both follow these rules which leads me to wonder if times are changing.  Maybe someone else will prove your point, which would be great.

It happened to me awhile back one bank branch said no, main branch said yes.Immigration .TM30 not required followed by. oh yes TM30 required. The movie line "We're not in Kansas anymore Toto" comes to mind

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, d2b2 said:

Every interaction I have had with KBank has been shockingly dismal. I can't imagine wanting to bank there. Bangkok Bank is a far better service provider

subjective; bangkok bank were a pain when i tried to open an account, at k bank i opened two accounts with no problems. i do admit it can be had to find someone who speaks english at k bank but i found a lady in one branch and she's sorted leads of problems for me.

IMO the problems lie in the strict hierarchy - the lady who helps me has to call the branch manager over to input a password every time she wants to access my account on her screen... and despite the large number of staff meetings i see held before and after bank opening hours there seems to be little common understanding of banking policies and procedures. and the idea of providing good customer service seems an alien concept. but thankfully, i just want to keep my 800000k baht somewhere and get some annual paperwork. all my other baking is done back home by knowledgeable, competent, efficient and helpful staff.

• Like 2

I have a K BANK and BKK BANK. Last reports confirmed was Asoke branch K bank were serviceable to transferring Chonburi to BKK. Not sure try them. As a rule since army landed there forcing banks not open farang accounts. One goose told me with my wife l need work permit to transfer a account lol. 

Try Asoke

22 hours ago, PaulHamon said:

Don't want different banks to much running around for everything, especially on stupid rule that makes no sense.

You shouldn’t have to .. 

It doesn’t make sense, if you want to keep an eye on westerners, you give them one bank to open a few accounts, a fixed, a current and an emergency account.

There is no need to have accounts scattered all around in banks with a sympathetic ear, they are happy to take your money and sit on it without any interest and all the 20B charges to bank cheques and withdraw over the years, but give nothing in return.

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Not for me and all my friends, BKK bank emquartier on elite visa, no issues.

Same for Kbank Thong Lor, and krungsri emquartier.

https://www.thailandelite.com/privilege/393?locate=en

Kbank is still elite partner, so cant only be retirement visas.

I would guess, the general policy is the same as always.

You need a long term visa that is either Retirement, Marriage, Nonb with work permit or elite visa - and all the more touristy visa stuff is not allowed anymore, that's basically the same everywhere.

Did you even read the link? 

They want a reference letter, which can be from your girlfriend/friend or a random thai you give 100 baht to that has an account there. It's normal for banks to want a reference letter. Your home country banks etc also give you reference letters.

I did read it, I went into BBK and sat down with the manager, yes, you can open it for you, but we need a letter from your embassy. Huh? 2000km round trip to open a bank account?

Im trying not to sound like a whiner, it’s just something I have learned to live with, I am not in Thong Lo.

They don’t see many westerners down here, banks tend to follow the rules - managers, local managers, whoever.

No WP - No account - Simple.

My work around will be, retirement visa and open as many accounts as I like. 

3 hours ago, jackdd said:
14 hours ago, jackdd said:

...The document says "retirement or O-A". The problem is that a visa which says "retirement" just doesn't exist, the person who wrote this was most likely referring to the non-immigrant O visa. He just make a mistake due to a lack of knowledge about visas. Can probably be solved by explaining this mistake to them.

More likely, with "retirement" they mean the extension of stay for the reason of retirement.

It's a horrible bank. You're better off without it.

Possible outside BKK they don't want the hassle of paperwork, speaking English. I'm sure you're not depositing 5m THB.

I've opened a few accts while married then later while working with WP. It's easy with WP. So much so I just bring it along despite they should open an account with o visa. Why fight it?

Edited by Number 6

I tried various branches but Kbank doesn't seem to want me for another account anymore, even I do have one since 2013 with them. 
Bangkok bank in CM opened one without questions, I did have a 90 day non-o visa at that time though.

I know a friend who did manage to open one in Pattaya recently but only if he bought a insurance of a few thousand baht. 
He did so as he didn't have much time and wanted to deposit for yearly extension. As usual in Thailand, depends on the day, branch and employee.

Kind of super annoying though, as one needs a bank account with a job here as well to deposit and get the yearly extension / visa etc.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 1:24 PM, poohy said:

Can confirm same law applies  in KBank Prachuap

The new official K-Bank requirements were released early 2019. ONLY thai nationals from 15 years of age are allowed to open an account. No foreigners are allowed even with a wp or retirement visa. Just check their website, it's in english. The old requirements were passport + wp or passport + retirement visa (1 year extension based on retirement also worked). Some other thai banks did also change the requirements 2019. There might be branches were it's still possible to open a savings account based on the old requirements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

Now in Europe that is another story.

By European law and most domestic laws you have the right on a bank account thus banks can't refuse you to open one. Obviously if you are from Europe.
But even for 'foreigners' it is relatively easy so not sure where you get this from.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The new official K-Bank requirements were released early 2019. ONLY thai nationals from 15 years of age are allowed to open an account. No foreigners are allowed even with a wp or retirement visa. Just check their website, it's in english. The old requirements were passport + wp or passport + retirement visa (1 year extension based on retirement also worked). Some other thai banks did also change the requirements 2019. There might be branches were it's still possible to open a savings account based on the old requirements. 

Don't know where you get your information from. You say 'check website', on their website under 'open an account' nothing of the sort.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tabarin said:

I tried various branches but Kbank doesn't seem to want me for another account anymore, even I do have one since 2013 with them. 
Bangkok bank in CM opened one without questions, I did have a 90 day non-o visa at that time though.

I know a friend who did manage to open one in Pattaya recently but only if he bought a insurance of a few thousand baht. 
He did so as he didn't have much time and wanted to deposit for yearly extension. As usual in Thailand, depends on the day, branch and employee.

The insurance he got is a 1 year personal accident insurance. Then he probably got an ATM/VISA debit card connected to the insurance which has a much higher annual fee than their standard ATM/VISA debit card. So, his branch will make some money. 

Opening a bank account in Thailand was a source of great frustration for me. I know many people on this forum did so years ago and like to say that you can do it on a tourist visa easily because they did so in 1979, but now it's very hard unless you are either working legally or retired.

People who aren't retired, work abroad or want an account because they spend a lot of time with their Thai wife will now find it almost impossible to open an account.

It's this "money-laundering" paranoia which has come down from China. Combined with the Thai "face saving" thing where they just say mai dai because they don't know the procedure for opening a bank account for a foreigner or are too lazy to find out what they need to do.

Edited by SteveK

4 hours ago, silver sea said:

I agree with EricTh: just go to a different bank and open an account there. With internet banking you can transfer money between accounts, even if they are different companies. No fee. No running around. Easy peasy. You can do it on your iPad, while the wifey is frying up your breakfast.

I live in Hua Hin and use the banks in the basement of Bluport. The only one that was difficult was Bangkok Bank: they wanted a Certificate of Residence from Immigration, which would have cost 500 baht so I took my business elsewhere.

It makes sense to open another account with another company anyway, because later this year (August),all Thai banks will be reducing their liability to clients, were the company to go bust, to 1,000,000 baht per account holder (not account).

61647AAD-B479-45B3-8FC0-01143FCC5FDB.jpeg

So, 500 baht was to much for you to open an account at Bangkok Bank? The Certificate of Residence from your local immigration office is actually ONE out of several official documents needed (together with the passport) for opening a savings account at Bangkok Bank. The price for the certificate has nothing to do with the bank, it's up to the immigration office. Some issues them for free,some charges 300 baht and some are more greedy. If you know how to use internet, then check out Bangkok Banks website (in english). You'll see that Bangkok Bank is the only official thai bank where you don't need a wp or a retirement visa to be able to open an account. You could have asked for a certificate from your embassy/consulate, but it's probably more expensive than the 500 baht certificate from immigration. 

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You'll see that Bangkok Bank is the only official thai bank where you don't need a wp or a retirement visa to be able to open an account. 

Not true. I managed to do so at a different bank with neither. But that was only after the bank clerk found out that she came from the same village as my wife and went out of her way to help us. They absolutely can open accounts for foreigners as many posters have alluded to, but it's much easier to say "mai dai ka" which I usually interpret as "get lost please".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RBOP said:

Sounds like its a branch issue. Try one of the larger branches. I get similar issues with Bangkok Bank. A branch near me always gives me an issue when I want to pay insurance overseas but head office on Silom never bats an eye. Another branch wanted a work permit when I wanted to open a fixed account for purpose of retirement visa.  I have always found Kasikorn to be one of the more difficult banks to deal with and a very rude customer service lady boy they make you talk to on the phone. 

It's not a branch issue. The new official requirements kicked in early 2019. BUT, it will probably still be possible to open a K-Bank account somewhere. Until they start to enforce the requirements. 

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

Not true. I managed to do so at a different bank with neither. But that was only after the bank clerk found out that she came from the same village as my wife and went out of her way to help us. They absolutely can open accounts for foreigners as many posters have alluded to, but it's much easier to say "mai dai ka" which I usually interpret as "get lost please".

You must learn how to read. I said "official requirements". If you can find a thai bank other than Bangkok Bank where it's officially possible for a foreigner to open an account without wp or retirement visa/long stay with permanent address, then you are a magician. But you will fail. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Don't know where you get your information from. You say 'check website', on their website under 'open an account' nothing of the sort.

But the most useless "open an account" in English seen for long.

It's a 1:1 translation of requirements for Thai people. How stupid is that?

I am happy to be pointed to useful info from their site.

I have accounts with Bangkok Bank, SCB and Kasikorn.

The only "outstanding" feature why I cling with them is the "Web Shopping Card" (virtual VISA card).

But since online payments are possible with BKB and SCB debit cards too (and having German CC), it's time to close with them (on next Pattaya visit where I opened it in 2009 with visa exempt and hotel business card!!!).

Since a while they deduct some 20 Baht every month.

For what? "Cash management"? I still don't know what it is about.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

You must learn how to read. I said "official requirements". If you can find a thai bank other than Bangkok Bank where it's officially possible for a foreigner to open an account without wp or retirement visa/long stay with permanent address, then you are a magician. But you will fail. 

I think you will find that the bank staff don't even know what is on their own website, and what is there are not "official" rules. No need to be rude.

• Like 1

The page shown on the OP refers to those of a retirement age, as in 50 years old to get an O-A visa.

There will be other pages for those who are not 50. No way would any bank refuse to open a bank account to some one who was under 50 years old.

The OP needs to go back and show them his age. Then get the rules to open a bank account for those under 50.

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

There will be other pages for those who are not 50. No way would any bank refuse to open a bank account to some one who was under 50 years old.

If you are under 50 and don't have a work permit, go in to your local branch and try to open an account. See what happens.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Well,it seems you can't read. How is it possible not to see the requirements for opening a savings account at K-Bank using their website?  

https://kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Account/Pages/savings.aspx

Just scroll down a bit and you'll see. When I looked at the same page in February 2019, it said that foreigners needed passport + wp or passport + retirement visa and 10000 baht in deposit to be able to open an account.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

Well,it seems you can't read. How is it possible not to see the requirements for opening a savings account at K-Bank using their website?  

https://kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Account/Pages/savings.aspx

Just scroll down a bit and you'll see. When I looked at the same page in February 2019, it said that foreigners needed passport + wp or passport + retirement visa and 10000 baht in deposit to be able to open an account.

I don't care what is said in February 2019. It does now not say what you're claiming here.

So please read properly, quote the text you claim it says and report back here, all the time refraining from insulting others.

• Like 1