Seven days of carnage claim 373 lives, down 19%

snoop1130

Seven days of carnage claim 373 lives, down 19%

By The Nation

800_7309dda76d2262d.jpg

The annual “seven dangerous days” of the New Year holidays have ended with 373 deaths and more than 3,000 injuries on roads across the country, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation announced on Friday (January 3).

Deputy police spokesman Pol Col Kritsana Pattanacharoen again blamed the spike in road accidents from December 27-January 2 on the huge number of people travelling to and from family gatherings.

“There were 3,421 accidents reported, 370 fewer that the same period last year, a decline of or 9.76 per cent,” he said.

“The 373 deaths represented a decrease of 19.4 per cent, and 3,499 injuries, lower by 10.1 per cent. The No 1 cause was drunk driving, at 32.7 per cent, followed by speeding, at 29 per cent. Motorcycles accounted for 79.8 per cent of the vehicles involved in the accidents and pickup trucks 6.8 per cent.”

More than 64,000 highway officials and police officers manned 2,000 checkpoints countrywide during the seven days. 

Almost a million vehicles were stopped for inspection and 230,306 persons ticketed, most for not wearing a helmet or having no valid driver’s licence. 

More than 26 per cent of the accidents occurred between 4pm and 8pm, with 63.7 per cent taking place on highways and 39 per cent on district and local roads.

“Songkhla saw the most accidents – 116 – while Bangkok witnessed the most deaths – 15 persons,” Kritsana said. “Songkhla also had the most injuries, with 121. Six provinces saw no fatal accidents – Trat, Phayao, Mae Hong Son, Yala, Lamphun and Satun.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380094

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-03
  • Like 1

So 70.87 more people died last year? Take in to account less tourism and the likely hood of number fixing and no hospital deaths mentioned i would assume this might not be so accurate and just made to look good? Time will tell i guess. Im sure some more accurate numbers will pop up soon.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Hahah! I said on the other thread that you curmudgeons would find something to complain about.

You were happy before the figure was announced as lower. Now you're finding ways to inflate it.

He's already said that a 20% reduction isn't enough, isn't that good enough?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Wow, let's party.

But 19% down from too much is still too much.

Does anybody care and really do something like enforce all the (traffic) laws 24/7? No.

What a surprise. TiT

yeah  but  look on the bright side, weve saved a turtle from dying on a  plastic  bag

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

Hahah! I said on the other thread that you curmudgeons would find something to complain about.

You were happy before the figure was announced as lower. Now you're finding ways to inflate it.

He's already said that a 20% reduction isn't enough, isn't that good enough?

So you really believe the final count will be down <20%. 

Last years stats requested:
https://thepattayanews.com/2019/01/04/463-people-killed-over-new-years-seven-deadly-days-in-thailand-almost-new-record/

A total of 463 people have died due to traffic collisions in Thailand over the past week, as the country’s notoriously lethal roads were once again swamped with drunk drivers during the new year period.

The country’s Road Safety Directing Centre said the death toll for what police call “Seven Dangerous Days” was up by 40 from last year’s count of 423 and just shy of the record of 478 set in 2017.

Drink-driving was listed as the cause of 40% of the 3,791 collisions reported between 27 December and 2 January. During that period 3,892 people were injured, down from 4,005 last year. Although this year’s death toll was up, the collision count was down slightly, from 3,841.

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

64,000 officials and police and STILL 373 dead ? Talk about a complete failure

More than 64,000 highway officials and police officers manned 2,000 checkpoints countrywide during the seven days. 

I never saw 1 of these 64,000 where do they hide? Correct me if I am wrong head BIB Muppet said no checkpoints this period to get the traffic flowing, so they still managed 2000 tea money collection points?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Almost a million vehicles were stopped for inspection and 230,306 persons ticketed, most for not wearing a helmet or having no valid driver’s licence. 

Almost a million over 7 days, roughly 140,000 per day.

More than 64,000 highway officials and police officers.

That averages to just over 2 vehicles stopped per person per day.

They really should put in a complaint about being overworked!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Deputy police spokesman Pol Col Kritsana Pattanacharoen again blamed the spike in road accidents from December 27-January 2 on the huge number of people travelling to and from family gatherings.

It seems that the government can make new laws as they go along.  So, what about making a new law, "Family gatherings not permitted without government approval".

A committee can be set-up to oversee the population's adherence to the new law.

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Almost 20% down is not bad.

Anyone who thinks it is the cops fault and they should be every where at all times enforcing traffic laws are small minded, pretty naive and uneducated.

It certainly starts with education and drivers training at an early age which unfortunately is lacking here.

Your math is wrong, 1 + 1 = 2, i.e. you shouldn't subtract 1 from the other as it will give you zero, the current long standing situation here in Thailand.

1) So I will agree, educate them and train drivers from young.

2) Have the police on the road 24/7 enforcing the law, breath testing, drug testing, radar checks for speeding, road checkpoints to checks for licenses, helmets and registration.

Nothing small minded about that, and in that order.

• Like 2

To me the seven deadly days is just a fantasy. In reality its 365 deadly days on thai roads. Saw the idiots in action this morning when walking. Speeding, no helmets 4 on a bike, tailgating Just the normal stuff Oh and the ambulances were as busy as ever, Carry on Drivers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubon farang said:

To me the seven deadly days is just a fantasy. In reality its 365 deadly days on thai roads. Saw the idiots in action this morning when walking. Speeding, no helmets 4 on a bike, tailgating Just the normal stuff Oh and the ambulances were as busy as ever, Carry on Drivers

right; statistically speaking the 7 deadly days are rarely any different to any other day here, you say ambulance i say pick up truck with a thin mattress in the back, if you're lucky, driven recklessly by hyped up adrenaline freaks - in my area anyway.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, samsensam said:

statistically speaking the 7 deadly days are rarely any different to any other day here

"Statistically speaking" it is far safer to drive during the 7 deadly days than it is any other time of the year if we are to believe the official figures, they tell us on a usual day here ~68 are killed? something doesn't add up! - hardly surprising though!!

Grim statistics no matter how they are interpreted.  Policing, real and true policing, is needed 24/7/365 not only during two one week periods.

I have seen no data on how many vehicles were confiscated - or did the errant drivers hand over their 500 baht, give a wai and proceed unscathed?