New requirement to show air ticket at land border

I have no reason to doubt the posters and have advised at least one traveler to be aware of this possible requirement. It does not seem to be in effect yet so it may or may not come to pass.

Any intentional false information posting will be treated with a very heavy hand; but we should not automatically assume new information to be false in these times of rapid changes. Time will tell.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this also mean that immigration will want to see your return ticket before giving the VE stamp on arrival in Thailand? As said on the other thread the date of the ticket must be within the 30 days, what if you are on a bit of a S. E. Asian tour with Thailand as your base arriving with an open return?

This new little twist certainly muddies the water with respect to my short term plans. Oh well, will just have to work around it. :o

If arriving by air and you do not have a confirmed international reservation departing from a Thailand airport within 30days of arrival you must obtain a visa before you travel. As widely reported you risk being denied boarding by the inbound airline.

I do not knowing if there is a regulation applicable to those entering at at a land crossing. Obviously those arriving by cruise ship cannot be expected to hold an outbound air ticket.

I am aware that being a newbie I should constrain my comments, but I confess to being highly sceptical of this and the 2 similar threads.

Corroboration is required.

If anyone is posting cruelly to cause anxiety to those already coming terms with the new regulations then they should be thoroughly ashamed.

I assure it is true

Although I am too lazy to scan the note they gave me today into the computer, I will however type what it says:

"The aliens entering Kingdom with no visa must present ticket or travel documents that have been paid already or confirmed to exit the kingdom and must not exceed 30 days upon the date of entrance to the kingdom."

It's funny however, this requirement has been around for years and years, and now they are going to enforce it. This is going to be some hassle for some people I would think. Of course if you are only going to be in thailand for less then 30 days and have a valid ticket, then no worries. Technically I have seen that for a tourist visa there is also an onward flight requirement, and the financial requirement. It would be interesting to know if they are actually asking for return tickets at international airports.

Before you know it the financial requirements are going to be enforced as well. I myself only have a few euros when I come to thailand, the first thing I always do after clearing customs, is go to the nearest atm to get some baht.

The financial requirements have been enforced for the last year or so on a sporadic basis at the land crossings. And that applies to visa and non visa entry (higher for visa entry). The air ticket is indeed new and seems to be effective with little or no warning so all should plan accordingly if using visa exempt entry.

Why are you sceptical?

You get valuable advise and the members who post ,lopburi3/maestro and few others are always spot on.

Unfortunality also this Airticket issue is true and will be enforced (more or less).

Things in this country are implemented without proper information or advance notice , but this is TIT.

OK. Here goes.

I remain sceptical exactly because the reports do not originate from members from whom the forum has "previously received valuable advise and……….. and the members who (regularly) post ,lopburi3/maestro and few others (who) are (usually) always spot on".

There are 3 topics on this issue, 2 started by first time posters, 1 by a newbie member One topic was started on April fools day. You must be aware of numerous examples in the past of newcomers posting just to make mischief. And the pain in my injured leg which is keeping me housebound and hooked on this forum tends to throb more when I read certain posts, a sure sign of something.

This would be a very serious issue for many and my purpose in posting was solely to encourage corroborative posts, if only to prove me wrong. I had invited two posters to reproduce here a copy of the paper they were given which I think is not unreasonable.

I don't know what painkillers you are on but it's making you paranoid why not disregard my post and wait and see what happens when you have'nt got your ticket to show.

Let me try again to think like bureaucrats. We think the boss's boss doesn't want visa runners getting continual 30 day entry stamps. The big boss wants people paying for real visas, such as tourist visas and non-immigrant visas. Think about it simply: for whom is the 30 day visa-less stamp intended? Mainly just for real tourists, not for long term visa runners who actually live in Thailand without much of a trace.

Simple. Treat 30 stamp-holders as tourists. When the alien says, "But I've rented a house in Bangna for two years" they are not tourists. "But I have a business to run in Chiang Rai" - not a tourist. "But I'm supporting a Thai wife and two luk krungs" - not a tourist.

Problem solved. No more visa runners.

If they ruin the tourist industry in the process, who can blame the immigration police for carrying out their law? And when the visa-less visa runners complain they weren't given notice, what was all that fuss about, last October? Yes, I feel sorry for those who cannot get visas, but for those who could have and never did, their six month notice has expired.

Did a visa run on 31st March to Poipet. There was quite some debate between the officers before they would let me leave the Kingdom (I have Multi Non Imm B ), they handed me a small piece of paper to explain the delay which reads;

THE ALIENS ENTERING KINGDOM WITH NO VISA MUST PRESENT TICKET OR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS....

Am I missing something obvious here, in the original post?

If you had a "Multi Non Imm B" then you HAD a visa. No need for a tourist visa or ticket/travel documents. Why did they even stop you? Why did they even question your ability to leave the country? :o

Did a visa run on 31st March to Poipet. There was quite some debate between the officers before they would let me leave the Kingdom (I have Multi Non Imm B ), they handed me a small piece of paper to explain the delay which reads;

THE ALIENS ENTERING KINGDOM WITH NO VISA MUST PRESENT TICKET OR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS....

Am I missing something obvious here, in the original post?

If you had a "Multi Non Imm B" then you HAD a visa. No need for a tourist visa or ticket/travel documents. Why did they even stop you? Why did they even question your ability to leave the country? :o

There is definitely some fishy smell to the first two posts of this thread. Practically new members and strange contradictions in story of first post.

The requirement of showing tickets does not sound unbelievable at all. Will be interesting to see if further reports support this and whether it will be larger than just Poipet. Interesting.

If they ruin the tourist industry in the process, who can blame the immigration police for carrying out their law?

And of course no matter what the issue at-hand, there always seems to be a plethora of previously unenforced laws that the powers-that-be can trot out to suit the occasion. They don't even have to change the rules, merely insist that people start playing by the long-established rules.

Thai's are expected to have the proper visa's where they require them and pay the fee's so if the shoe is no on the other foot so be it - what's good for the goose and all that.

The usual s.tupid c.rap it seems impossible to miss in threads like these...

Thais are "expected" to be able to live with their western spouses in their spouses' western countries, to acquire PR and citizenship (if so they want), to work whatever job they please and to own whatever they can.

"What's good for the goose and all that."

Cut the BS and stay OT.

Thai's are expected to have the proper visa's where they require them and pay the fee's so if the shoe is no on the other foot so be it - what's good for the goose and all that.

The usual s.tupid c.rap it seems impossible to miss in threads like these...

Thais are "expected" to be able to live with their western spouses in their spouses' western countries, to acquire PR and citizenship (if so they want), to work whatever job they please and to own whatever they can.

"What's good for the goose and all that."

Cut the BS and stay OT.

We are talking VV here but maybe you missed that - whatever!

The fact is you are meant to have at least a TV to cross a land border - its never been applied but the rules are there - their country and their rules and they choose to apply them when and how they want.

I think the requirements to stay in Thailand are easy enough to follow and qualify for if you play by the rules (that they choose to apply).

Edited by Prakanong

will they accepy print-outs of e-tickets?

How will they know what is real and what was knocked up using Word?

I have no problem with rules, it's just that they are not properly thought out or implemented...

Yet another reason that I'm leaving in a month!

I'm sure a printed itinerary would be sufficient. The accept them at embassies as well, as long as e-ticket number is printed on it.

Anyway it's not even difficult to check whether the printed document contains a valid e-ticket, using the Amadeus reference code, it's dead easy to check online if that particular e-ticket is indeed issued and confirmed. You only need the amadeus code + passenger surname.

It is true just for those who are still thinking its an April Fools!

I was taken aside at Poipet on 31st March with 4 others (maybe in the group that first poster mentioned!). Were told could not re-enter thailand without proof of onward travel. Said the regulation had been brought in that day. Immigration Officer was reasonable though and said we could re-enter that day as it had just come in but next time would need it.

Unfortunately when I then went to the desk I was told I would not be let back into the country if I left until 2nd April (but thats another visa story not connected with this flight thing) so I didn't go through. This would now mean I would need to show a flight when I came back!

So today I went to Bang Lem with an e-ticket back to UK just in case (actually for 6th may so over the 30 days). However I had also checked with Jacks Tours first (who I've been with both times) and they said they are not asking for this at Bang Lem (Jacks have switched back to going to Bang Lem because of this issue).

In the end they never asked for any confirmation at border but they were handing out those white slips as well so I asked officer if I would need proof of onward travel next time and he said yes.

Incidentally, jacks tours said on the way back to Bangkok that a train or bus ticket is ok. don't know where they got that info from though. So maybe air ticket is not necessary.

Edited by Flatlander

"Proof of Onward Travel".

No mention of needing a flight ticket, flight itinerary or otherwise. Simply have a paid-up, valid train ticket to Penang, or perhaps a bus ticket from Nong Khai to Vientianne, or any other cheap ticket which crosses at a land border.

You may even be able to re-fund the train ticket (maybe someone can confirm?) and then, let's say you get 50% back, it will have only added a couple of hundred Baht onto your visa run cost.

It is true just for those who are still thinking its an April Fools!

I was taken aside at Poipet on 31st March with 4 others (maybe in the group that first poster mentioned!). Were told could not re-enter thailand without proof of onward travel. Said the regulation had been brought in that day. Immigration Officer was reasonable though and said we could re-enter that day as it had just come in but next time would need it.

Unfortunately when I then went to the desk I was told I would not be let back into the country if I left until 2nd April (but thats another visa story not connected with this flight thing) so I didn't go through. This would now mean I would need to show a flight when I came back!

So today I went to Bang Lem with an e-ticket back to UK just in case (actually for 6th may so over the 30 days). However I had also checked with Jacks Tours first (who I've been with both times) and they said they are not asking for this at Bang Lem (Jacks have switched back to going to Bang Lem because of this issue).

In the end they never asked for any confirmation at border but they were handing out those white slips as well so I asked officer if I would need proof of onward travel next time and he said yes.

Incidentally, jacks tours said on the way back to Bangkok that a train or bus ticket is ok. don't know where they got that info from though. So maybe air ticket is not necessary.

Are you on a visitor's/tourist visa, non-immigrant B, or other?

Edited by toptuan

We are talking VV here but maybe you missed that - whatever!

The subject of the thread is clearly stated, the one who has maybe missed it is you. Whatever.

Unless your "What's good for the goose and all that" was meant to be good for just selected parts of the immigration laws...

The fact is you are meant to have at least a TV to cross a land border - its never been applied but the rules are there - their country and their rules and they choose to apply them when and how they want.

I think the requirements to stay in Thailand are easy enough to follow and qualify for if you play by the rules (that they choose to apply).

"They choose to apply them when and how they want."

That's the key. That's why they are bound to stay a 3rd world country and that's why you can't say "the requirements to stay in Thailand are easy enough to follow and qualify for if you play by the rules".

Edited by BAF

Isnt that always the way ?? When boarding aircraft I often get asked for a proof of ticket in the old days when I was on visa free arrival.. I dont get asked if I have a non O..

Yep. I can remember being questioned in Australia by the airline - this was back in the early '90s - after presenting a one way ticket to BKK. I had to show proof of sufficient funds for an onward ticket before they would give me the boarding pass.

---

Why are you sceptical?

You get valuable advise and the members who post ,lopburi3/maestro and few others are always spot on.

Unfortunality also this Airticket issue is true and will be enforced (more or less).

Things in this country are implemented without proper information or advance notice , but this is TIT.

OK. Here goes.

I remain sceptical exactly because the reports do not originate from members from whom the forum has "previously received valuable advise and……….. and the members who (regularly) post ,lopburi3/maestro and few others (who) are (usually) always spot on".

There are 3 topics on this issue, 2 started by first time posters, 1 by a newbie member One topic was started on April fools day. You must be aware of numerous examples in the past of newcomers posting just to make mischief. And the pain in my injured leg which is keeping me housebound and hooked on this forum tends to throb more when I read certain posts, a sure sign of something.

This would be a very serious issue for many and my purpose in posting was solely to encourage corroborative posts, if only to prove me wrong. I had invited two posters to reproduce here a copy of the paper they were given which I think is not unreasonable.

see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114392

word for word

The financial requirements have been enforced for the last year or so on a sporadic basis at the land crossings. And that applies to visa and non visa entry (higher for visa entry). The air ticket is indeed new and seems to be effective with little or no warning so all should plan accordingly if using visa exempt entry.
And of course no matter what the issue at-hand, there always seems to be a plethora of previously unenforced laws that the powers-that-be can trot out to suit the occasion. They don't even have to change the rules, merely insist that people start playing by the long-established rules.

Indeed, I await reports that borders requiring BOTH the onward air ticket AND the cash-in-hand requirements.

will they accepy print-outs of e-tickets?

How will they know what is real and what was knocked up using Word?

I have no problem with rules, it's just that they are not properly thought out or implemented...

Yet another reason that I'm leaving in a month!

I'm sure a printed itinerary would be sufficient. The accept them at embassies as well, as long as e-ticket number is printed on it.

Anyway it's not even difficult to check whether the printed document contains a valid e-ticket, using the Amadeus reference code, it's dead easy to check online if that particular e-ticket is indeed issued and confirmed. You only need the amadeus code + passenger surname.

You're talking like actual intelligent people work at immigration!

plans to stay in Cambodia on his next trip -- How he is going to get through with his motorbike and sidecar loaded up to the gills I don't know.

For some unknown reason, this conjures up images of John Steinbeck's great work, The Grapes of Wrath... detailing the plight of the Joad's immigration to California:

post-9005-1175648230.jpg

Why are you sceptical?

OK. Here goes.

[/size]

see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114392

word for word

No point in quoting me. I conceded early yesterday that this is a genuine issue.

An example of the best a long term "tourist" can hope for is:

Day 1 enter Thailand with tourist visa issued in Penang. Extend permission to stay from 60 to 90 days.

Day 90 border run to Poipet with confirmed ticket to Penang. Get 30 days visa free

Day 119 fly to Penang and get new visa

Day 120 re-enter Thailand with a new tourist and start process again.

At least the issue of 90 days in 6 months becomes academic and they can make half the immigration officers at Poi-pet redundant.

Previous suggestions about re-dating airline tickets to get 3 consecutive 30 day permits is only really practical if you initally pay for a full fare ticket (or know a good travel agent). Most cheapo fares are no change, no refund

Thinking ahead, Poi-Pet could tighten the ratchet a further notch and refuse re-admittance to those doing a border run and not holding a visa because they did not exit Thailand using the ticket they presented to gain admittance 30days previously.

I see on TV air-asia have ordered an Airbus A380 to use exclusively on the Bangkok-Penang route.

"Proof of Onward Travel".

No mention of needing a flight ticket, flight itinerary or otherwise. Simply have a paid-up, valid train ticket to Penang, or perhaps a bus ticket from Nong Khai to Vientianne, or any other cheap ticket which crosses at a land border.

You may even be able to re-fund the train ticket (maybe someone can confirm?) and then, let's say you get 50% back, it will have only added a couple of hundred Baht onto your visa run cost.

If a bus ticket is acceptable it only needs “Jack” to get the necessary authority to extend his buses across the border into Cambodia. When you travel to the border they issue you with a ticket for 30 days hence. Just a thought.

If a border runner assumes the law is going to be enforced my advice would be to also assume an air ticket is required depsite the paper being issued by immigration not stating this. More importantly you could be expected to use the ticket.

Is there anyone using this forum who has an English translation of the law/regulation(s)/order(s) applicable to visa free entries ?

Cardif consulate website, for instance, states that anyone proposing to use land borders must hold a visa. But that proves nothing. Is that law or is it "belt and braces" to ensure genuine tourists do not face problems during these uncertain times.

Maybe Sunbelt has a handle on this.

I am sure that when I read about this onward ticket in the past it always specified the it had to be an Air ticket.

I went to the Thai Embassy London website and it now says:

" Their purpose of visit is only for tourism

They have the nationality of the countries issuing their passports or travel documents in lieu of passports which must be authentic and valid (this excludes all certificates of identity)

They arrive in and depart Thailand by any means of transport (air, land or sea) through immigration checkpoints, any confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry in Thailand must be obtained.

Confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry in Thailand must be obtained."

So it seems that they have changed the rules and seem to be getting ready to apply them. They are in a difficult situation to publicize the new rules as it has always been a rule they just didn't enforce it.

The airlines, after some hesitancy, accepted printouts of confirmation of a ticketless flight. I feel sure that Immigration must do the same.

I am sure that when I read about this onward ticket in the past it always specified the it had to be an Air ticket.

I went to the Thai Embassy London website and it now says:

" Their purpose of visit is only for tourism

They have the nationality of the countries issuing their passports or travel documents in lieu of passports which must be authentic and valid (this excludes all certificates of identity)

They arrive in and depart Thailand by any means of transport (air, land or sea) through immigration checkpoints, any confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry in Thailand must be obtained.

Confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry in Thailand must be obtained."

So it seems that they have changed the rules and seem to be getting ready to apply them. They are in a difficult situation to publicize the new rules as it has always been a rule they just didn't enforce it.

The airlines, after some hesitancy, accepted printouts of confirmation of a ticketless flight. I feel sure that Immigration must do the same.

Thailand Consulate in Los Angeles says "confirmed air tickets."

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-list30.htm

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe that many of the low-cost carriers such as AirAsia are part of the Amadeus system.

Immigration really needs to clarify this and get a top down order that is the same country wide ASAP..

Such a mess..

Can you imagine families with children coming back for thier twice yearly vacation to Thailand, package tour and hotel booked for 14 days, to be given a few days stamp and told to take thier infants to 'get a real visa' or do a visa run ??