Entering Overland For A Visa Exempt Person

I am now a resident of Cambodia (I am from one of those 30 day visa on arrival countries). I have courses near Bangkok several times a year that I wish to attend. I would prefer to travel overland via the Poipet/Aran border (been there many times).

I am aware that the new rules state you only get two 30 day stamps per year now and that there are no exemptions for those of us residing in an ASEAN neighbor country, even though we can prove we have zero interest in staying in Thailand long-term.

What happens if you show up a third time? Do you get refused or just a 15 day stamp.

Are flying in or getting a visa beforehand the only options (both a pain in the tuckus, esp. as I had bad experiences flying in & out of Don Muang last time) as I don't live in PP)?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Thai embassy in PP, WONT  issue Thai METV to a non Cambodian, they will issue you a standard tourist visa thou,

OR just fly in after ur 2 land entries are used.

so only the 2 ways around ur situation.

Is the info on their website wrong?

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa will only be granted to Cambodian nationals or those with proof of permanent residence in Cambodia.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/phnompenh/en/services/7962/86336-Tourist-Visa.html

jackdd, I'm looking at three trips to Thailand for 2020 so far. Financially, it would make no sense to spend that kind of money.

I was hoping for some kind of exemption from the rules for those who can prove they live in an ASEAN country (I know I'm dreaming). I thought the mentioned METV was it, the realized seconds later what it stands for ????

I can already hear it ... "Maybe you dun li' Cambodja no more, want to live Thailand! We dun know!".

After my shocking experience at DMK, where they started deportation proceedings on me for ducking under the stretch tape in a completely empty arrivals section (thankfully, I know the rules what's required when entering the land of powertrippin' brown shirts), I have lost most of my respect for Thai immigration officials.

Edited by Mr Dome
clarification
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa will only be granted to Cambodian nationals or those with proof of permanent residence in Cambodia.

Is the info on their website wrong?

http://www.thaiembassy.org/phnompenh/en/services/7962/86336-Tourist-Visa.html

holding a 1 year extension does not make you a permanent resident in Cambodia.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 4:18 PM, Mr Dome said:

jackdd, I'm looking at three trips to Thailand for 2020 so far. Financially, it would make no sense to spend that kind of money.

I was hoping for some kind of exemption from the rules for those who can prove they live in an ASEAN country (I know I'm dreaming). I thought the mentioned METV was it, the realized seconds later what it stands for ????

I can already hear it ... "Maybe you dun li' Cambodja no more, want to live Thailand! We dun know!".

After my shocking experience at DMK, where they started deportation proceedings on me for ducking under the stretch tape in a completely empty arrivals section (thankfully, I know the rules what's required when entering the land of powertrippin' brown shirts), I have lost most of my respect for Thai immigration officials.

"I was hoping for some kind of exemption from the rules for those who can prove they live in an ASEAN country."

What do you mean by "living" in an ASEAN country? I am living long term in Thailand but I'm not a "permanent resident". That's another thing.

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"I was hoping for some kind of exemption from the rules for those who can prove they live in an ASEAN country."

What do you mean by "living" in an ASEAN country? I am living long term in Thailand but I'm not a "permanent resident". That's another thing.

I'm here on a 1 year ER EOS. I am not a tourist.

I live in Cambodia, simple as that (I didn't use the term "permanent resident").

• Haha 1

You temporally "reside" in Cambodia for 1 year after which time Cambodia could than refuse you your next extension.

Expats ( those on 1 year extensions)  in Laos, Malaysia an Cambodia would love an exception to the 2 land border entries/year

BUT..........

Blame it on the guys that were abusing the visa exempt entries.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

I don't like to make predictions in this day and age but a refusal for those of us 55+ ER's who have enough money to support ourselves isn't very likely.

In addition, I don't like to blame others. The Thais make the rules and nobody else and their attitude against foreigners throughout all levels of the big government and immigration police apparatus is concerning at times.

It's obvious that people would stay long term by doing border runs on tourist visas, when there was no rule against it, the same way big corporations use tax loopholes.